MFC Fans Only Non Dees AFL thread 2019 edition- Thank god its over. Tylenol NOW!

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Bothered you enough to post a silly gif. Two pages is foreplay compared to some of the off-topic discussions we've had.
Because gif's are exclusively used to express one's annoyance? Not just a lighthearted joke for those who aren't interested in entering into the argument ... ok cool

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Because gif's are exclusively used to express one's annoyance? Not just a lighthearted joke for those who aren't interested in entering into the argument ... ok cool

giphy.gif

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
So i just got an infraction post for this whilst replying to an Adelaide fan for having a go at Melbourne for having a bad culture

"Listen to this bloke, he knows all about a s**t culture"

Have a guess which club this particular mod barracks for, * i love nuffies

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
The thing is you can pick whatever metric you like - skill level, capability, revenue, sponsorship, etc and there isn't one where its justifiable to pay them the same as the men. The water also gets muddied because some sponsorship deals now are "joint" deals where the rights to men's and women's sports are sold combined / as a whole, and that wouldn't be by accident.

Well the one metric I picked - national prestige based on relative performance in their respective competitions - does justify it for our national soccer teams
As a taxpayer, that's what I am concerned about when it comes to world cups and all that crap.

The argument about men being better athletes is not relevant in this case to me personally, as there is an internationally defined competition for men and women separately, which is beyond our control. And while i find it a sensible and practical division, I understand there is a more fundamentalist view that all divisions are irrelevant / sexist / ageist / etc, but in my opinion it is not compelling or logical in practice.

The TV rights to the respective world cups are irrelevant to me for national sport since I don't own a media empire or see any of the profits

Couldn't resist - Sorry in advance to everyone for triggering Cannon again. I promise I will never post on this topic again! And we should just move / delete this part of the thread

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Well the one metric I picked - national prestige based on relative performance in their respective competitions - does justify it for our national soccer teams
As a taxpayer, that's what I am concerned about when it comes to world cups and all that crap.

The argument about men being better athletes is not relevant in this case to me personally, as there is an internationally defined competition for men and women separately, which is beyond our control. And while i find it a sensible and practical division, I understand there is a more fundamentalist view that all divisions are irrelevant / sexist / ageist / etc, but in my opinion it is not compelling or logical in practice.

The TV rights to the respective world cups are irrelevant to me for national sport since I don't own a media empire or see any of the profits

Couldn't resist - Sorry in advance to everyone for triggering Cannon again. I promise I will never post on this topic again! And we should just move / delete this part of the thread
So do the national Lawn Bowls champions deserve to make as much as the tennis players because they are both at a National Level?

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
So do the national Lawn Bowls champions deserve to make as much as the tennis players because they are both at a National Level?

I promised not to post another view on the topic.

How is Canada right now - are you getting lit as often as Blitznu?

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I promised not to post another view on the topic.

How is Canada right now - are you getting lit as often as Blitznu?
Come on ya dog campaigner I wanna argue some s**t.

Shithouse mate winter already started over here so the landscaping is put away and it's bloody snow time which means shithouse income and far more practice getting piss fit.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Come on ya dog campaigner I wanna argue some s**t.

Shithouse mate winter already started over here so the landscaping is put away and it's bloody snow time which means shithouse income and far more practice getting piss fit.
I was actually vaguely disappointed when I first discovered that you’re not a ski instructor

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Have been before matey
And you packed it in? Is it ordinary money or something?

I watched a deeply terrible movie -straight to DVD type effort - called Aspen something. I sat through it because I’ve spent some time in Aspen so was enjoying recognising various places where they filmed terrible scenes and all. Anyway, they made the whole casual ski instructor look like a massively awesome glamour gig - sex on tap with wealthy blonde ski pupils etc, partying non stop. It even worked out for the main actor whose long term girlfriend dumped him because of his interest in partying and wealthy blonde ski pupils, but he won a ski comp and apologised to girlfriend and she forgave him. I think she couldn’t bear to part with his cleft chin or his bad acting. It was a memorable film. Well I vaguely remember it anyway.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos

I watched a deeply terrible movie -straight to DVD type effort - called Aspen something. I sat through it because I’ve spent some time in Aspen so was enjoying recognising various places where they filmed terrible scenes and all. Anyway, they made the whole casual ski instructor look like a massively awesome glamour gig - sex on tap with wealthy blonde ski pupils etc, partying non stop. It even worked out for the main actor whose long term girlfriend dumped him because of his interest in partying and wealthy blonde ski pupils, but he won a ski comp and apologised to girlfriend and she forgave him. I think she couldn’t bear to part with his cleft chin or his bad acting. It was a memorable film. Well I vaguely remember it anyway.

I ******* love bad ski movies - and Aspen! I went to falls for the first time in August (and first time skiing in Aus for 20 years) was way more fun than I remembered

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I ******* love bad ski movies - and Aspen! I went to falls for the first time in August (and first time skiing in Aus for 20 years) was way more fun than I remembered
This movie would suit you perfectly. I just googled around and discovered it was called Aspen Extreme. The Wikipedia plot summary bears virtually no resemblance to my recollection, apart from the winning a comp, the Aspen scenes and getting back with the girl. The bits I seem to have forgotten involve the main character’s ambition to one day be a writer, the unstable friend who briefly becomes a drug runner, the tragic death of said friend etc. it has a rotten tomato rating in the 20s though so I’m pretty sure I’ve tracked down the correct film. It actually sounds awesome in a hilarious kind of way and I’m going to stream it this afternoon once I can be arsed getting out of bed.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

By your reckoning, the highest paid athletes in Australia should be the Indoor Cricket teams who have won I forget how many world championships in a row. All of them, I think.

"Relative performance" is a joke to use as a yard stick. If you're working in a technical, skilled position requiring many years of experience and are only doing OK at your job, and a person in an unskilled entry level position is doing well at their job, would you be OK with them getting paid more than you? After all, "relative performance" is the defining metric you want to use, not actual skill level and the value brought to an organisation.

All of this is irrelevant to you personally, and thumbs up for the note on "triggering" me.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
This movie would suit you perfectly. I just googled around and discovered it was called Aspen Extreme. The Wikipedia plot summary bears virtually no resemblance to my recollection, apart from the winning a comp, the Aspen scenes and getting back with the girl. The bits I seem to have forgotten involve the main character’s ambition to one day be a writer, the unstable friend who briefly becomes a drug runner, the tragic death of said friend etc. it has a rotten tomato rating in the 20s though so I’m pretty sure I’ve tracked down the correct film. It actually sounds awesome in a hilarious kind of way and I’m going to stream it this afternoon once I can be arsed getting out of bed.

PG you have really inspired me with this!

I took a look at s**t ski movies, and I think with some paternity leave coming up at the end of the month my list of must watch is
1) Aspen Extreme
2) Hot Dog
3) Ski School
4) More serious, this looks great - Streif, it's the Ski race in Kitzbuehl, s**t resort but insane course

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Shithouse money. Minimum wage styles which is like $12 in Canada.

The sex an partying is not far off tho pretty wild times it's like not living real life anymore to be honest.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
PG you have really inspired me with this!

I took a look at s**t ski movies, and I think with some paternity leave coming up at the end of the month my list of must watch is
1) Aspen Extreme
2) Hot Dog
3) Ski School
4) More serious, this looks great - Streif, it's the Ski race in Kitzbuehl, s**t resort but insane course

Im surprised these blokes and ladies can fit their balls in those lycra suits, I have skied since a young age love it but these courses scare the s**t out of me.

Cobwebs

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
I got sick of these Carltank flogs carrying on how they are going to have such a big season in 2020 and some big scalps they are going to take, so I looked at their draw. Honestly think these pizz ant delusional flogs are going to get smacked more times than they win. Unlike them, I cannot see a finish above 13th and that is being kind. Betts and Martin [if they get him] are not improving them anywhere near enough.

Last edited:

Cobwebs

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Charlie Curnow to undergo knee surgery and miss all of Carltons pre season. Ouch. Fractured Patella.

Last edited:

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Weid > Curnow

Curnow has that huge tease vibe about him. Kick bags of goals once or twice a year, play bog average the other 10 games, then get out injured or suspended for the rest of the season through bizarre incidents

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Weid > Curnow

Curnow has that huge tease vibe about him. Kick bags of goals once or twice a year, play bog average the other 10 games, then get out injured or suspended for the rest of the season through bizarre incidents

Weid is pretty much the same except without the bags of goals or bizarre incidents.

Back