Society/Culture Media Silence over Women’s Violence Toward Children

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
They DID report the facts that were known. This thread is basically OP and others having a sulk because they didn't report information they weren't legally allowed to.
It's a sulk at the ABC not doing a Daily Mail and delving into the private life of her.

Zombie Squad

Fortius Quo Infidelius
Oct 24, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
She hardly got a lighter sentence when you consider she has been committed for schizophrenia...

Yes and once she is determined to be of no danger to the community, she will be out back in the community - if she hasn’t already been having supervised community outings we aren’t being told about.

Cy Walsh is already out and about, albeit under supervision

Meanwhile Arthur Freeman is in actual big boys jail doing a 30 year bit.

Super fair.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Yes and once she is determined to be of no danger to the community, she will be out back in the community - if she hasn’t already been having supervised community outings we aren’t being told about.

Cy Walsh is already out and about, albeit under supervision

Meanwhile Arthur Freeman is in actual big boys jail doing a 30 year bit.

Super fair.
She's being monitored - what's your point? So far your topic has been disproved by many people. Now what are you trying to do? Just take pot shots at her because she's a woman and Freeman who PLEAD NOT GUILTY TO INSANITY is an innocent victim?

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Where's your proof? You keep saying this yet you have never provided any proof other than your anecdote.

It does happen, I've seen it, but you rarely get to hear about it...

A close friend lived with a girl in Perth in the late 1980's who had a bad habit, always when drunk, of turning violent often during simple disagreements, which usually she would initiate.

For context, he was the assistant state manger for Coles/Myer and she had recently completed a law degree and was a junior partner at a large Perth law firm - so neither were uneducated or socioeconomically struggling - in fact they were considered 'Yuppies' at the time.

She would go into a rage, throwing punches and kicks and the fact he didn't hit her back seemed to make it worse. One time she fractured his arm in 3 places with a cricket bat!
It would usually stop either through her exhaustion or often he'd just leave the house. The next morning she would ask; "what happened to your face?'.
So out of desperation he started recording these 'incidents' on a Sony handycam.

It all came to a head when their neighbours called the police one night with a noise complaint. Police arrive and straight away had him in handcuffs until they looked at his face and then hers and asked him, "What the hell is going on here?" He nods towards the Handycam sitting on the kitchen bench and simply replied "Have a look for yourself."

Shortly after, he took the police incident report and the handycam footage to her father and convinced the family she needed to seek professional help. Not surprisingly she was diagnosed with a bi-polar disorder that was triggered by a chemical imbalance from the alcohol.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

This sounds like a pretty complex case.
Which is what we say when women commit horrfic acts but not when men do it.

Zombie Squad

Fortius Quo Infidelius
Oct 24, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Which is what we say when women commit horrfic acts but not when men do it.

Hit nail head.

When a father commits such an act, he is a vile, soulless, monster who confirms all our pre conceived internal bias’ that men are inherently violent and a threat to children. We see a million Op-Ed’s from the Rosie Batty’s and Van Banshee’s of this world, demanding something be ‘done’ to address Australia’s culture of toxic masculinity and violence against women and children. Etc etc etc.

These men must be locked up forever.

When a women commits such an act, the same voices will immediately ask what on earth could of driven a women and a mother to such an an act. Endless excuses will be made....poverty, mental health, the pressure cooker of being a single mum with 7 kids. Etc etc.

Put plainly, society and the media are more willing to empathise with female child murderers over there male counterparts.

Empathy towards these people is something that needs to swing both ways, or none at all.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Hit nail head.

When a father commits such an act, he is a vile, soulless, monster who confirms all our pre conceived internal bias’ that men are inherently violent and a threat to children. We see a million Op-Ed’s from the Rosie Batty’s and Van Banshee’s of this world, demanding something be ‘done’ to address Australia’s culture of toxic masculinity and violence against women and children. Etc etc etc.

These men must be locked up forever.

When a women commits such an act, the same voices will immediately ask what on earth could of driven a women and a mother to such an an act. Endless excuses will be made....poverty, mental health, the pressure cooker of being a single mum with 7 kids. Etc etc.

Put plainly, society and the media are more willing to empathise with female child murderers over there male counterparts.

Empathy towards these people is something that needs to swing both ways, or none at all.
My view is none at all for deliberate child killers. Mental health can explain reasons for such actions but it doesnt excuse them. If we are a monster due to mental health issues then we are still a monster. Mental health just explains how we came to be a monster.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
So PND is an excuse for murdering 8 children is it?

Curious, what headspace do you think Arthur Freeman was in when he decided to drop his child from the West Gate Bridge?
Wait, are we talking about one case here or not? You seem to be flip flopping everywhere on this. One moment it's the ABC, next it's everyone else.. Then you're trying to compare two different cases.

If he was in such a bad headspace why did he not plead mental incapacity?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
When have men suffered postnatal depression?
Men have suffered depression and schizophrenia. Many murderers have. Depression and schizophrenia does not absolve us of responsibility. Especially depression. The Jonestown leader who murdered 900 people became extremely depressed and schizophrenic in the months leading up to his massacre. His ailments do not absolve him.

The fact you are trying to justify child killing based on depression makes me vomit inside. Its sickening. My wife suffered pre natal depression. Not once did the thought of harming her kids cross her mind let alone murdering them. That only crosses the mind of sick people. Depression can be the tipping point between thought and action and nothing more. Your post is seriously sick.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Men have suffered depression and schizophrenia. Many murderers have. Depression and schizophrenia does not absolve us of responsibility. Especially depression. The Jonestown leader who murdered 900 people became extremely depressed and schizophrenic in the months leading up to his massacre. His ailments do not absolve him.

The fact you are trying to justify child killing based on depression makes me vomit inside. Its sickening. My wife suffered pre natal depression. Not once did the thought of harming her kids cross her mind let alone murdering them. That only crosses the mind of sick people. Depressioncan be the tipping point between thought and action and nothing more. Your post is seriously sick.
Of course they have, but in relation to children?

I'm not justifying anything. Reading into things is not healthy.

Work Hardery

All Australian
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's a lot of mainstream media articles you've quoted for something the mainstream media is supposedly ignoring.
A few articles isn't enough to change the country's perception that only men are violent towards women and children.

Work Hardery

All Australian
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Of course they have, but in relation to children?

I'm not justifying anything. Reading into things is not healthy.
You've really got to stop discussing topics that you have no idea about. I feel embarrassed for you when I read your posts.

Zombie Squad

Fortius Quo Infidelius
Oct 24, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
A few articles isn't enough to change the country's perception that only men are violent towards women and children.

I don’t think it is the countries perception at all.

It’s bullshit that gets pushed by radical feminists and leftists who infest academia, the media, and the family court in Australia.

Your average Australian on the street knows that women are just as capable of domestic violence as blokes, and they also know that if anything Mother’s are more into killing their kids....at least when they are under 5.

Last edited:

Zombie Squad

Fortius Quo Infidelius
Oct 24, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The left relishes blaming white men when it comes to serial killings, yet invariably behind every white man who kills a bunch of women is an abusive mother. Suddenly they lose their taste for identity bashing.

B4E00F13-C4F0-49E1-BC89-41A9BE8BECEC.gif

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The left relishes blaming white men when it comes to serial killings, yet invariably behind every white man who kills a bunch of women is an abusive mother. Suddenly they lose their taste for identity bashing.
Just their mother? Sure....

Man this forum has got completely whacky lately. Who cares about accuracy anymore.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
It beggars belief that anyone could accept the mental illness narrative as being justification for less media attention or a lighter sentence. Every serial killer, spree killer, every true monster in society is "mentally ill". Anti-social personality disorder / psychopathy and what ever else. Sane people don't do this s**t ffs.

Thaiday even likely contributed to her own illness via years of drug abuse.

I spent plenty of time throughout my 20s in psych wards, and they have sayings in the industry such as "Your illness is not your fault, but it is your responsibility". I'm all for mental health advocacy, but when a person does something so truly evil as Thaiday did, I don't believe mental illness should be a consideration in sentencing.

Next there'll be arguments that paedophilia is a mental illness and deserves lighter sentencing.

The insanity defence rests on a couple of points. Did the person understand what they were doing? And did they understand that it was wrong?

True psychopaths know what they are doing, and that society condemns their illegal acts - but they do it anyway and get off on it. A psychiatrist might say they are mentally ill but the court would disregard it.

I believe that Thaiday did understand what she was doing. She had made threats to kill her children before she carried out the murders. And she planned it to the extent that none of the children escaped. Her stabbing herself repeatedly afterwards was an indication that she knew what she had done was wrong.

I think Arthur Freeman was in a strained mental state but he knew what he was doing and that it was wrong.

As has been pointed out, society tends to think of traits of females as being more nurturing and affectionate. Given these preconceived ideas I think it's possible that Thaiday was assessed preferentially to Freeman.

Back