List Mgmt. Delisted Free Agents - who should we be targeting?

Who should we target as a DFA?

• Josh Walker

Votes: 28 16.4%
  • Matthew Lobbe

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Harley Bennell

Votes: 91 53.2%
  • Wylie Buzza

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Jack Leslie

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Aidyn Johnson

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Callum Moore

Votes: 38 22.2%
  • Billy Longer

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • Lukas Webb

Votes: 43 25.1%
  • Richard Douglas

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Jacob Townsend

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Connor Menadue

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Chris Masten

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Lachlan Henderson

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Ben Keays

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Fletcher Roberts

• None

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Ex DFA - Luke Partington

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • Sam Murray

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Jay Kennedy-Harris

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Zac Clarke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Archie Smith

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Hugh Dixon

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Sam Gray

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Sam Skinner

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hartley looks awful as a KPD -
Athleticism is nowhere near that of Brand's.
He just seems goofy and all over the place, and to be honest I can't understand why he was drafted, let alone played 44 games!

He is listed at 199cm, so unless it's as a back-up ruck, I don't understand this at all!

He just seems goofy and all over the place, and to be honest I can't understand why he was drafted, let alone played 44 games!

He is listed at 199cm, so unless it's as a back-up ruck, I don't understand this at all!

You do realise that footage is 7 years old?

Wtf? Jacobs played through a lot of pain for our club. Show at least a little respect. No world beater but he gave it all for the club and was there in 2008 cheering on the brown and gold.

So his a Hawk supporter now and didn’t return to being a Essendon one.

Good pickup for you guys. Is AFL quality.

He was unfortunately stuck behind Hurley and Hooker for us and now that Hooker is starting to look a little cooked we have a young guy Zerk-Thatcher coming through who looks the goods.

We wanted to keep him but he would have been the 2nd depth position whereas with you I think he is number one behind Frawley and Frost.

Is an absolutly beautiful kick of the footy. Major issue is that he gets too grabby in the on one contests ans often gives away frees.

Can belt the leather off a ball when spoiling however.
I feel yuk liking a post with Essendon colours in it but thank you 😁👍

what gave it away?? :eek:
I sure hope his bio-mechanics have changed and improved since then.
You’ve clearly never watched an Essendon AFL game he’s played in between 2016-2019 then.

They might be a better guide as to how he plays in 2020, don’t you think?

I’ll declare my bias (I coached him at Coburg in 2015 before he was taken by Essendon in that draft), but picking up Hartley as a free agent is an absolute no brainer for us.

Mick and Sam Frost are both 26 years old. They are well and truly in the sweet spot for maturing key position players. Chip, as great as he has been, is rising 31 and apart from the odd Morris (WB) or Nick Riewoldt, the vast majority of KPPs fall off the cliff in their early 30s. I think of Heath Grundy, Harry Taylor, Lachie Henderson, even our own beloved and recently retired Jarryd Roughead as recent examples of this common occurrence.

Hartley’s major advantage over Frost and Frawley is his kicking is sublime. Maybe not quite Sicily/Henderson sublime, but closer to them than the jittery foot skills of the great Chip and our new exceptionally athletic Frost. He’s more comfortable on the big units who don’t have him for pace, and like almost all KPDs (who actually PLAY ON AN OPPONENT) will give away the odd jumper grab free here and there.

He’s different enough to Frawley and Frost to provide a genuine best 22 option for 2020 and beyond.

I think it’s a great move for zero cost.

I’ll declare my bias (I coached him at Coburg in 2015 before he was taken by Essendon in that draft), but picking up Hartley as a free agent is an absolute no brainer for us.

Mick and Sam Frost are both 26 years old. They are well and truly in the sweet spot for maturing key position players. Chip, as great as he has been, is rising 31 and apart from the odd Morris (WB) or Nick Riewoldt, the vast majority of KPPs fall off the cliff in their early 30s. I think of Heath Grundy, Harry Taylor, Lachie Henderson, even our own beloved and recently retired Jarryd Roughead as recent examples of this common occurrence.

Hartley’s major advantage over Frost and Frawley is his kicking is sublime. Maybe not quite Sicily/Henderson sublime, but closer to them than the jittery foot skills of the great Chip and our new exceptionally athletic Frost. He’s more comfortable on the big units who don’t have him for pace, and like almost all KPDs (who actually PLAY ON AN OPPONENT) will give away the odd jumper grab free here and there.

He’s different enough to Frawley and Frost to provide a genuine best 22 option for 2020 and beyond.

Thanks for declaring your bias 👍.

I would love to see him play next season as there is nothing worse than being picked up and then wasting away at Box Hill.

How we make that work will be interesting.

Frawley Frost Hartley Scrimshaw Hardwick Sicily Stratton Jiath and Impey when he returns is a really exciting mix for us to play with.

Anyway a good problem to have I guess.

e
If he is better than Brand when the ball is on the ground and has better foitball nous, then I am good with that.
BTW, I thought Brand was a better kick than Frawley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why on earth did Essendon delist him? They couldn't have traded him for a few end of the draft picks at the least?

Same thoughts with Hendo at Adelaide. Some things just don't make no sense.

Why on earth did Essendon delist him? They couldn't have traded him for a few end of the draft picks at the least?

Brand too. There must be something not obvious. Its like when they got a ‘clearance’

IMHO - sometimes it simply comes down to what’s left in the cap after the big contracts are settled.

He was a very popular player/person at EFC but on relatively peanuts contract wise, so retaining and extending him on another dirt cheap contract made more sense than trading him when, frankly he was happy to stay.

Once the dollars available at EFC became clear he, quite rightly with a wife and child to support, started looking around for a longer deal on more dough. Essendon can’t pay him what we can, and probably can’t offer him the scope to play senior footy more regularly.

Hence he comes to us as a delisted free agent.

I'm sure you're exactly the same as you were in 2012.

I'd argue he is close to best 22 for us, we don't necessarily have to use Frost as the 2nd tall. The guy can easily play on the quicker agile forwards because of his pace. It's that versatility that Clarko loves. He is the Stratts replacement IMO. TBF to the captain I can't see him getting a regular game this year if we indeed pick Hartley in the team alot of weeks. We would be too tall. Unless the game plan is to dominate the air like West Coast do and build from that.

Back