Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

What happened to the Hartley / Tippa bromance? They were always together looking all cute and stuff, then nothing. Trouble in paradise? Real reason he’s leaving?

Good luck to him. Would have only got 1 year on minimum for us. Obviously getting more elsewhere. Hurts our depth a bit that is for sure but Hooker and Hurley are going to play a decent majority of games in the next two years and he only really ever replaced Hooker. I liked him as a back up but him going is not going to hurt us hugely. If we get injuries and the back up has to play a lot then we are already in trouble.

Yeah don’t see a loss here. Bit surprised Hawks though when they have Stratton, Sicily, Frawley and now Frost.

Stratton is 189cm and plays more on mid/small fwds
Sicily is a rebounder who runs and kicks
Frawley is 31
Frost has just come across and looks a decent acquisition

Yeah don’t see a loss here. Bit surprised Hawks though when they have Stratton, Sicily, Frawley and now Frost.

They delisted Mirra, Brand and Schoenmakers and Mohr retired because of his knee.

Stratton is 189cm and plays more on mid/small fwds
Sicily is a rebounder who runs and kicks
Frawley is 31
Frost has just come across and looks a decent acquisition
Sicily played on Joe and plays on other talls. Stratton is 190 and can play on taller players like Ambrose who is similar height.

Not much difference to us really. That is Frawley a year older than Hooker, Sicily similar to Hurley. Frost who’s taller than Francis. Unless they think Frawley’s already cooked and won’t play much.

Not surprised.
I would of been happy for him to stay on but understand that he wants more guarantee's.

Other than the two teams mentioned most, I still think the dogs and even Geelong could use him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck to him. Would have only got 1 year on minimum for us. Obviously getting more elsewhere. Hurts our depth a bit that is for sure but Hooker and Hurley are going to play a decent majority of games in the next two years and he only really ever replaced Hooker. I liked him as a back up but him going is not going to hurt us hugely. If we get injuries and the back up has to play a lot then we are already in trouble.
Ample point you make. If he stayed at Essendon, he would have only recieved one more year you would have thought. With the impending games BZT is going to earn, Hartley may very well have only got the one at Essendon. Seeking opportunities and time at another club is in his own best interests. Good on him for doing to. Being an AFL player is such a short time frame in terms of a lifetime. May as well utilise it the best you can.

So appparently the delisted free agency period which re opens tomorrow is unable to be used on Michael Hartley and he will be required to go through the pre season draft.

Defeating all prior info we all thought was correct according to this article from The Age.
Essendon defender Michael Hartley has decided to head into the pre-season draft alongside Gold Coast utility Jack Martin after the Bombers chose not to delist the 26-year-old when they were informed he wanted to depart the club after four seasons.

I’m not sure what you’re reading Yoda_ but none of that indicates he was ever going to go through delisted free agency.

As soon as he knocked back our contract offer it had to be PSD

I’m not sure what you’re reading Yoda_ but none of that indicates he was ever going to go through delisted free agency.

As soon as he knocked back our contract offer it had to be PSD

Learnt something new today.

Was under the impression that's what happened. When a soccer players contract runs out, they become a free agent. Thought that's the way it worked.

Nah he was a free agent before because Collingwood delisted him years ago and now that counts every time he’s out of contract due to lifetime free agency coming in this year.

He chose not to use that unrestricted free agency during the relevant period though, knocked back our contract offer and delisted himself, so now he’s just a normal uncontracted player still bound to a club and therefore to the drafts.

If the club initiated the delisting then they become a free agent, but they’re different processes with different outcomes.

Otherwise everyone would just delist themselves and the entire trade and PSD mechanism would be irrelevant except for players who want to move under contract.

The one that got away. I tipped this, the club forgot about this bloke. I would watch him in the VFL and think what on earth is he doing here?

Happy for you Hartley.

Reckon that under Clarkson and co he could become the player I was hoping he would be.
I don’t think he has it in him. Happy to be proven wrong but he was no good at senior level at playing one on one. Just doesn’t seem to have the judgement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back