Song Contest Part XV, Host: Back One Out, Theme: Woodwind Instruments, Votes Due: Sunday 10pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty silly arguing over who is better out of the Oils and the Hunners as they aren't even in my top 5 Aussie bands.

My top 5 for the record.

1. The Church
2. Divinyls
3. The Panics
4. GANGgajang
5. Faker

Hard to break into that line up.

1. INXS
2. Cold Chisel
3. Divinyls
4. Eurogliders
5. Mental as Anything

I had to spend a whole term teaching the lyrics of Beds are Burning so had to play the song 100 times or more during class. Did my ******* head in.

The Kinks missed out on the US market to a huge degree which limited them and I think was what stopped them reaching the heights of The Beatles/Stones
That was thanks to them being banned from performing in the U.S between 1965-69. It had nothing to do with any lack of quality in their music. The Who never had a big U.S bit in that era either but made up for it with constant touring and then Woodstock and Tommy.

The Kinks '60's catalogue stands up very well next to any of their contemporaries.

The greatest pop song ever written.

That was thanks to them being banned from performing in the U.S between 1965-69. It had nothing to do with any lack of quality in their music. The Who never had a big U.S bit in that era either but made up for it with constant touring and then Woodstock and Tommy.

The Kinks '60's catalogue stands up very well next to any of their contemporaries.
Im not knocking The Kinks, I was only disagreeing with them being "far superior musically" to the bloody Beatles.
I know they were banned.
I never said it was because of their music quality.

I think if they were recording in the states in the late 60s they would have been far more successful as their sound/lyrics/song subjects would have been more universal.
I ******* love them, dont get me wrong, but I grew up in a commonwealth country being mainlined BBC programming.
The Beatles dripped England at times as well but they had already established themselves.

I know its a small thing but if Lola had started "I met her inna bar down in New Orleans"...

Pretty silly arguing over who is better out of the Oils and the Hunners as they aren't even in my top 5 Aussie bands.

My top 5 for the record.

1. The Church
2. Divinyls
3. The Panics
4. GANGgajang
5. Faker

Hard to break into that line up.
1. INXS
2. Cold Chisel
3. Divinyls
4. Eurogliders
5. Mental as Anything

1. Midnight Oil
2. You Am I
3. INXS
4. Men At Work
5. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You cannot defend Meatloaf for his performance. If you didn't know better you'd think they pulled some fat, alcoholic, cerebral palsy afflicted person from the crowd and gave him a microphone whereupon he decided to have a massive stroke whilst simultaneously 'singing' and trying to squeeze the world's largest turd from his arse. (The back up singing was fine; he should've taken his key from the dark haired bird.)

The following week Lionel Richie was great at short notice and I say that as someone who is not even a fan of his.

Meatloaf performed (if you can call it that) at the the 2011 GF, Lionel Richie performed at the 2010 Replay, was all downhill from there for Saints fans.

Agree that the female back up singer for Meatloaf was pretty good, she saved that performance from being an even bigger trainwreck, he should have just shut up and let her take over.

1. Midnight Oil
2. You Am I
3. INXS
4. Men At Work
5. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

You Am I and INXS would be in the mix for my Top 5 as well, I like Men At Work too, not a big fan of Nick Cave though, he'd be lucky to make my top 50.

I'll give this a bash, for me;

1. INXS
2. Icehouse Harvey Manfrenjensenden
3. Crowded House (formed in Melbourne ;) )
4. AC/DC
5. Cold Chisel

I'd have Crowded House in my Top 5 NZ bands.

Meatloaf performed (if you can call it that) at the the 2011 GF, Lionel Richie performed at the 2010 Replay, was all downhill from there for Saints fans.

Agree that the female back up singer for Meatloaf was pretty good, she saved that performance from being an even bigger trainwreck, he should have just shut up and let her take over.

You Am I and INXS would be in the mix for my Top 5 as well, I like Men At Work too, not a big fan of Nick Cave though, he'd be lucky to make my top 50.

I'd have Crowded House in my Top 5 NZ bands.
They were formed in Melbourne so I'm claiming them.

We're talking about bands per-se not solo artists aren't we?
Jimmy Barnes was born in Glasgow too.

Colin Hay and Bon Scott were also born in Scotland along with Angus and Malcolm Young and their older brother George Young from The Easybeats.

Unlike Neil Finn they all started their music careers in Australia though.

Colin Hay and Bon Scott were also born in Scotland along with Angus and Malcolm Young and their older brother George Young from The Easybeats.

Unlike Neil Finn they all started their music careers in Australia though.
What about Eurogliders? Grace Knight's musical career didn't begin in Australia.

What about Eurogliders? Grace Knight's musical career didn't begin in Australia.

I wasn't aware of that, I know the Eurogliders formed in Perth and I just assumed she was from here.

I like that NZ band called Fleetwood Mac
'
They would probably make my top 5 NZ bands now too.

You hate Elton. My irony metre just broke.
That's the joke.gif

My wife LOVES him. I keep taking the piss out of him, particularly his hair. I needed to create an account to comment on the Tiges board and the magic just happened.

He's got a couple of excellent songs, but generally too meh for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back