Toast John Holt

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was 15 I broke both arms in a footy accident. A close family friend was on the board at North and he arranged for me to go into the rooms at Arden St where Keith Greig took me under his wing for the day (and signed one of my shoulder to finger tips plaster casts). Talk about feeling like a king for the day. What a legend of a player and bloke.

In 1999 I decided “f*** it, I’m going to every game all around the country this year!” What a great year it was to do so too as it turned out.

Anyway, after North beat Freo at Subi we caught the Ansett flight back with the players. Saw Archer’s phone ring onboard and the subsequent argument with the hissy fitting air hostitute which ensued, and subsequently led to Arch being fined $20k (which was bloody ridiculous!).

Upon return we were in the bus with six or seven players from the Ansett terminal to the long term carpark. Arch, Boomer and others sat glumly, saying nothing to us, but one player chatted with us the whole way. “Did you guys fly over just for the game? I’ve seen you at other games this year. What an effort” etc. He certainly changed my perception of him and my then missus said “what a ripping bloke!”

It was Martin Pyke.

Last edited:
It was Martin Pyke.

He never lost sight of the fact that he was just another bloke. Ross Smith & Anthony Rock were similiar blokes like that.

I consider Jimmy K a mate, but stay away from him in the TAB. I grew up kicking the footy with Tony Furey and played a few games of junior footy with David Dwyer. I don't make a bee line for modern day players if I see them out & about, but I did run in to Jy Simpkin last year and had a chat. He came across as a good level headed sort of kid. I have a couple of mates that played VFL/AFL footy with other clubs.

The common thread with these blokes is that they all grew up in working class areas or the country.

I met John Holt (Played in the 80’s for us) in a private suite watching the T20 in Perth last night. Fanatstic person and a pleasure to meet him.
what past players have you met that made an impression on you?

Out of curiosity, does he now live/work in WA? Or was he making a business trip over? Almost certain he is a born & bred Vic.

“Did you guys fly over just for the game? I’ve seen you at other games this year. What an effort” etc. He certainly changed my perception of him and my then missus said “what a ripping bloke!”

That is really great to read, wonderful to know that some of these blokes out there notice.

He has been the MD for a company called Hoseco in WA for 20 years and his son played played for Claremont
He used to work at Dunlop in Bayswater when he played, iirc. Had a schoolfriends mum get me his autograph as she worked with him. EFA

Last edited:
He never lost sight of the fact that he was just another bloke. Ross Smith & Anthony Rock were similiar blokes like that.

I consider Jimmy K a mate, but stay away from him in the TAB. I grew up kicking the footy with Tony Furey and played a few games of junior footy with David Dwyer. I don't make a bee line for modern day players if I see them out & about, but I did run in to Jy Simpkin last year and had a chat. He came across as a good level headed sort of kid. I have a couple of mates that played VFL/AFL footy with other clubs.

The common thread with these blokes is that they all grew up in working class areas or the country.

Rocky could be an angry little man after a few beers, back in the day

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the late 80s he came to a primary school that I was teaching at. I was so excited to see him there and I said to him, ‘Are you Tony Rock?’ I have no idea why I called him that as I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone call him ‘Tony’. He was very quick to inform me that he was actually ‘ANTHONY’ Rock!!

Yeah didn't seem like a great bloke one night at (so old I can't remember the name) that sports bar that used to be on St George's Rd. Threatened to beat the s**t out of some poor punter who asked one of his teammates to stop urinating on his car!

Kicked one of my favourite North goals in the last quarter of the '85 Elimination Final.

Sorry, a bit off-topic, but how awesome was the ‘85 Elimination Final? :D I was there that day (showing my age now) and clearly remember the despair in the first half and the absolute elation in the second half! We were sitting up behind the Carlton cheer squad too so it was especially satisfying after half-time! The following day I drove back to Mildura where I was living at the time and practically ‘flew’ back as I was still on Cloud 9! It was a great game.:thumbsu:

Reeled around on his left ( of course!) and unleashed from around 50, never in doubt.
this one,

Johns My Dads cousin, Dad was a leftie as well, Pop moved down to gippsland from round the Albury area when the family was young And Johns Parents were from up that way as well. Never seen Dad play as his playing career finished before i was born however he won a league leading goal kicking in Nilmas Premiership year in 1959. He also Coached the 3rds later on and had a pretty talented player by the name of Barry Round in his team.

Re John, personally i liked his 2 bombs in the final H&A game against * at windy hill in 86 , the day Jimmy went Krakours and gave Mark Harvey a lightning jab on the chin.

Last edited:
I don't make a bee line for modern day players if I see them out & about
I don't either but was out with my brother and he got chatting to Jasper Pittard. Genuinely humble bloke that was interested in talking music and life, not sure if they talked about footy at all. I was quickly became the awkward 3rd wheel that evening!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back