Changes for next year, Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I would just like to say:

Grimes (AA) Astbury Vlastuin (future AA)
Houli (AA) Rance (5xAA) Stack (future AA)
Bolton (future AA?) Martin (3xAA, Brownlow, 2xNorms) Lambert (AA "squad")
Rioli (future AA?) Riewoldt (3xAA, 3xColeman) Edwards (AA)

Castagna Lynch (AA) Caddy (AA "squad")

Soldo, Cotchin (AA, Brownlow) Prestia (AA "squad" - robbed)

I/C Broad Nankervis Ross (future AA?) Pickett (future AA?)

So our best 22 contains 11 players who have been at least in the top 40 players of the AFL at one point or another, and another 2 (Stack and Vlastuin) who will surely be All-Australians in the future. In addition, I reckon we have another 4 guys (Bolton, Rioli, Ross and Pickett) who have the potential to be AA in our best 22, and (in my opinion) another 4 in our reserves, including Higgins, Balta, RCD and CCJ. As for Baker, Short, Graham; they fall in the same category as Astbury, Castagna, Soldo, Broad and Nankervis - good players who will have solid careers but we have seen enough now and I can't see any of them getting to that level (Astbury was close in 2018, leaving aside the prelim disaster, but he is now at the back end of his career).

What a position to be in coming off 2 premierships in 3 years!

draftguru [ https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2019/richmond ] has the 'honours' next to the players. Pleasing on the eye

example: Jack Riewoldt -> AA: 2010, 2015, 2018; Coleman: 2010, 2012, 2018; B&F: 2010, 2018; AA40: 2012; Prem: 2017

Dustys one takes half a page

I am a bit scarred by the 2018 prelim, Coaches not having confidence in depth 23 ~ 26 on the list. I know 2019 gave a lot of the list a taste of senior footy and that sets us up beautifully.

If we think of players who didn't play in the GF.
Rance, Stack, Graham, Ross & Kmac. I have no argument against any of those 5 in a Richmond team contesting a GF.
Players close: Balta. Higgins(if fit), CJ,
Needing a bit more development. Chol, RCD, Garth, Naish, English, Turner. Egg, Aarts. Markov
That's about 10 players who by the end of 2020, could be cemented in the AFL team.

I am a bit scarred by the 2018 prelim, Coaches not having confidence in depth 23 ~ 26 on the list. I know 2019 gave a lot of the list a taste of senior footy and that sets us up beautifully.

If we think of players who didn't play in the GF.
Rance, Stack, Graham, Ross & Kmac. I have no argument against any of those 5 in a Richmond team contesting a GF.
Players close: Balta. Higgins(if fit), CJ,
Needing a bit more development. Chol, RCD, Garth, Naish, English, Turner. Egg, Aarts. Markov
That's about 10 players who by the end of 2020, could be cemented in the AFL team.

Players 23-26 are probably - Baker, Short, CCJ, Balta, Ross, Mcintosh etc.

looks decent

In defence of the mopsy and co. points of view; If you were to swap the like of

Balta for Broad
Ross for Graham
CCJ for Soldo etc.

you are arguably not losing much, perhaps even inserting more talented footballers. 'Dismantling it is a bit drastic or alarmist terminology, competition is good.
'
With Ellis and Grigg off the list IMO the squad is pretty strong. I am confident with whatever dimma rolls out as long as he doesn't fall apart again without Blake there to hold his hand.
Sure but imo they have proved themselves, and the new blood haven't done anything to displace them. Again I say why change?

Just playing our best 22 every week is the way to win premierships, and that's the way to keep the fringe players hungry and wanting to stay.

Picking people with 2 or 3 years down the track in mind makes no sense wrt where were are as a club at the moment.

Just pick guys on merit and nothing else. Then we'll have successful AFL and VFL teams for the next 2-3 years. There's no need to get funky at the selection table.
Seems to be some contradictions here. 1. Pick the best 22 each week. Those players win their 3rd flag. Keeps the fringe hungry & wanting to stay. Say we have a blessed injury run like 2018. The fringe didn't get picked and a number, LLoyd, Conca, Miles left the club. Now those players were no loss to us. However, in 20200 you don't get games into talented players like Ross cos Pickett & Graham are ahead of him. He is jack of lack of opportunity and leaves. CJ is behind premiership ruck duo Nank & Soldo & Balta pinch hits. Not enough games, Adelaide come knocking on his door.
Some of our best 22 Cotch, JR, Nank, benefited from having a (forced) break during the season. I don't know how to do it. The only thing I manage is myself. ( & stuff that up). The list is in good shape for 2020. We need to think about a KPD soon. Rance & Dave are getting on. Either Balta, Garth or draft or FA. Houli's exit can be covered. Sheds too. Cotch's body looks shot at times but inspirational player. We have ruck depth.

Seems to be some contradictions here. 1. Pick the best 22 each week. Those players win their 3rd flag. Keeps the fringe hungry & wanting to stay. Say we have a blessed injury run like 2018. The fringe didn't get picked and a number, LLoyd, Conca, Miles left the club. Now those players were no loss to us. However, in 20200 you don't get games into talented players like Ross cos Pickett & Graham are ahead of him. He is jack of lack of opportunity and leaves. CJ is behind premiership ruck duo Nank & Soldo & Balta pinch hits. Not enough games, Adelaide come knocking on his door.
Some of our best 22 Cotch, JR, Nank, benefited from having a (forced) break during the season. I don't know how to do it. The only thing I manage is myself. ( & stuff that up). The list is in good shape for 2020. We need to think about a KPD soon. Rance & Dave are getting on. Either Balta, Garth or draft or FA. Houli's exit can be covered. Sheds too. Cotch's body looks shot at times but inspirational player. We have ruck depth.

It's not a contradiction. Guys in the 2s know they have to be BETTER than the guys in the 1s in order to play 1s. We are having success as a club on all levels and we should be able to sustain it for 2-3 years (at least). We can conceivably win premierships in the next 2 or 3 years, if not longer. Meaning guys who want to play in senior premierships have to break into the senior side on merit (pick the best 22).

Lloyd, Conca, Miles, Ellis, all those guys were good servants but ultimately expendable. They are all much closer to 30 than 20. Comparing them to Ross doesn't make much sense, as Ross is barely 19yo. If you think someone like Ross wouldn't 100% want to be at Punt Rd for the next 3-5 years, breaking into the senior team on merit, you're crazy. And if he doesn't want to be there, he is crazy.

If guys can't break into our senior side (on merit) and they want to look at opportunities elsewhere, so be it. If they want to go to a poorly run club that is down the ladder just cos they can play seniors easier there, or earn more coin, adios.

I am very confident that behind the scenes Balme and co. have this all under control. We are a very well run club. We play our best 22, and our younger fringe guys know that they are being developed properly (and with senior footy in mind) for when the time is right.

Who are the bottom 5 or 6 from the premiership team? What roles and positions can we improve on? who is performing a role that is superfluous to needs (ie sml/med fwd when you have a plethora of mids who can rotate thru there) and do a similar job.Where is the depth shallow thus a need to get games and experience into a younger player?

bottom 5 well the obvious first one is the bloke who is no longer there.
Ellis, who comes into the team for him? or who is already in the team and takes his spot on a wing?I can think of a lot of options. two of them for me, one in the 22 in Bolton and one who is not in Jack Ross.Reasons i will mention in a little bit.Others are Lambert Edwards Pickett

The ruckmen, we play what id call two dinosaurs who offer very little as fwds, nankervis does offer a fair bit around the ground. thus they are played a lot from the bench. We tried Chol as a real point of difference quicker more agile and more of a fwd, continued improvement and we have a different type of ruckman and more flexible player who gives us alternate options to just playing on ball.

CC-J looms as our future #1 ruckman he is a serious threat in the air, more agile than the other two and is entering a stage where he needs to be getting games.If he continues to improve what do we really lose by playing him alongside one of the front line ruckmen. Maybe a bit in the ruck but gain a far more adept fwd and we get experience into him.

A contentious one. Josh Caddy on a wing it doesnt work for me even though late in the yr Caddy did alright in the role.
Why not Bolton who every time he plays in the midfield looks a million bucks is quick and creative and uses the ball pretty well.yet we force him to spend most of his time as a fwd.To me the guy is a midfielder its where we get the best out of him.

Or Ross played 7 games imo a far better option than Caddy on a wing and should probably get Ellis spot. yep he copped injury and didnt get back until rnd 21 where he had a 21 disposal 11 of them contested, 6 clearance, 7 tackle game.Yet he was given barely a half against wce next game where he made the odd mistake and was not seen again.

Take out the game he was injured very early, and even the half game against wce and this 18 yo kid was going at
21.2 Disposals. 8 of them contested, 4 clearances, and 4 tackles a game while providing plenty of run decent pace a bigger body thru the midfield and an ability to get a bit of ball for himself.

Caddy for the yr played 18 games at 16.3 disposals 6.8 contested 1.8 clearances and 3.3 tackles.while being a slower and less effective running player.

For me Its Graham instead of Baker.

DE-S i concede very hard for him to break into the team but if he continues to track as he has and keeps improving then who cant see him playing instead of Short or Baker.

Last comment it may well be we play 4 tall defenders we have a history of this when all 4 of Broad, Rance, Grimes and Astbury have been fit. Lets not kid ourselves Rance is coming back into that team it could well be instead of Rance for Broad it could be Balta for Broad. If this happened would it really be such a shock.There would be good reasons for doing it as well.

To me changes to the team does not mean going backwards it means growth and improvement.We will need these things to stay in front of the pack.
Finally no team ever ever picks a team entirely on best 22 all teams strive for the balance between best 22 and development of players who project fwd as definate keepers.
Premiership team or not we will be negligent if we are not managing the team in a way that encourages change and improvement and attempting to have enough games into younger players when experienced players retire.

Whats better for the club lets say Balta is the heir apparent to rance. Rance retires next yr or the yr after but Balta who will be asked to play KPD has 40 or 50 games behind him when Alex goes or do we just throw him in with minimal afl experience.This is one reason why i think theres a chance Balta may come in for Broad.

Last edited:
Who are the bottom 5 or 6 from the premiership team? What roles and positions can we improve on? who is performing a role that is superfluous to needs (ie sml/med fwd when you have a plethora of mids who can rotate thru there) and do a similar job.Where is the depth shallow thus a need to get games and experience into a younger player?

bottom 5 well the obvious first one is the bloke who is no longer there.
Ellis, who comes into the team for him? or who is already in the team and takes his spot on a wing?I can think of a lot of options. two of them for me, one in the 22 in Bolton and one who is not in Jack Ross.Reasons i will mention in a little bit.Others are Lambert Edwards Pickett

The ruckmen, we play what id call two dinosaurs who offer very little as fwds, nankervis does offer a fair bit around the ground. thus they are played a lot from the bench. We tried Chol as a real point of difference quicker more agile and more of a fwd, continued improvement and we have a different type of ruckman and more flexible player who gives us alternate options to just playing on ball.

CC-J looms as our future #1 ruckman he is a serious threat in the air, more agile than the other two and is entering a stage where he needs to be getting games.If he continues to improve what do we really lose by playing him alongside one of the front line ruckmen. Maybe a bit in the ruck but gain a far more adept fwd and we get experience into him.

A contentious one. Josh Caddy on a wing it doesnt work for me even though late in the yr Caddy did alright in the role.
Why not Bolton who every time he plays in the midfield looks a million bucks is quick and creative and uses the ball pretty well.yet we force him to spend most of his time as a fwd.To me the guy is a midfielder its where we get the best out of him.

Or Ross played 7 games imo a far better option than Caddy on a wing and should probably get Ellis spot. yep he copped injury and didnt get back until rnd 21 where he had a 21 disposal 11 of them contested, 6 clearance, 7 tackle game.Yet he was given barely a half against wce next game where he made the odd mistake and was not seen again.

Take out the game he was injured very early, and even the half game against wce and this 18 yo kid was going at
21.2 Disposals. 8 of them contested, 4 clearances, and 4 tackles a game while providing plenty of run decent pace a bigger body thru the midfield and an ability to get a bit of ball for himself.

Caddy for the yr played 18 games at 16.3 disposals 6.8 contested 1.8 clearances and 3.3 tackles.while being a slower and less effective running player.

For me Its Graham instead of Baker.

DE-S i concede very hard for him to break into the team but if he continues to track as he has and keeps improving then who cant see him playing instead of Short or Baker.

Last comment it may well be we play 4 tall defenders we have a history of this when all 4 of Broad, Rance, Grimes and Astbury have been fit. Lets not kid ourselves Rance is coming back into that team it could well be instead of Rance for Broad it could be Balta for Broad. If this happened would it really be such a shock.There would be good reasons for doing it as well.

To me changes to the team does not mean going backwards it means growth and improvement.We will need these things to stay in front of the pack.
Finally no team ever ever picks a team entirely on best 22 all teams strive for the balance between best 22 and development of players who project fwd as definate keepers.
Premiership team or not we will be negligent if we are not managing the team in a way that encourages change and improvement and attempting to have enough games into younger players when experienced players retire.

Whats better for the club lets say Balta is the heir apparent to rance. Rance retires next yr or the yr after but Balta who will be asked to play KPD has 40 or 50 games behind him when Alex goes or do we just throw him in with minimal afl experience.This is one reason why i think theres a chance Balta may come in for Broad.

I can agree with nearly all of this now. The player movement (ins/outs ) you mention here could very well be a step in the right direction and necessary to stay ahead of the pack. Balta is the one I am not sure is ready. He frustrates me with his output. We can all see his 'potential', but he still has brainfades, and goes missing for chunks. Then again, the last athletic beast of kid who used to frustrate me in the same way became the AA backman of the century, so lets hope Balta has a huge preaseason and gets that spot you've pegged him for.

I also think CCJ is on the brink of a game. I would look at rotating Soldo, Nank and CCJ through the team early in the season and let them battle it out for 2 spots after the bye.

DES and Baker miss the cut but they are more than capable backmen should we need to call on them.

I'm excited about Turner although ATM Naish is first in line for that outside run n carry player. I like him in the team but just can't find a spot...yet.

RCD had a breakout game in the VFL GF. I can't wait to see if it carries through next season. The thought of him and Ross having breakout seasons next year is delicious.

Then there's the forgotten man, Jack Higgins. We will be cautious with his health next year. Unless a miracle happens an unavoidable gap year methinks.

Balta. I hope we pump games into him next year although its just hard to fit him in anywhere atm. His chances will come though.

My 22 Round 1.

Vloss Rance Astbury
Houli Grimes Edwards
Caddy Prestia Pickett
Riewoldt Martin Lambert
Rioli Lynch Castagna
Soldo Cotchin Graham

Nank, Bolton, Stack, Ross

Martin is our modern day Royce, play him at CHF!

Play Pickett at stoppages as much as possible.

Last edited:
I also think CCJ is on the brink of a game. I would look at rotating Soldo, Nank and CCJ through the team early in the season and let them battle it out for 2 spots after the bye.

DES and Baker miss the cut but they are more than capable backmen should we need to call on them.

I'm excited about Turner although ATM Naish is first in line for that outside run n carry player. I like him in the team but just can't find a spot...yet.

RCD had a breakout game in the VFL GF. I can't wait to see if it carries through next season. The thought of him and Ross having breakout seasons next year is delicious.

Then there's the forgotten man, Jack Higgins. We will be cautious with his health next year. Unless a miracle happens an unavoidable gap year methinks.

Balta. I hope we pump games into him next year although its just hard to fit him in anywhere atm. His chances will come though.

My 22 Round 1.

Vloss Rance Astbury
Houli Grimes Edwards
Caddy Prestia Pickett
Riewoldt Martin Lambert
Rioli Lynch Castagna
Soldo Cotchin Graeme

Nank, Bolton, Stack, Ross

Martin is our modern day Royce, play him at CHF!

Play Pickett at stoppages as much as possible.

Like the team.
So Broad and Short come out. Just not sure about Edwards... he can definitely play the McLeod role in his latter years, but love him wing/mid. But place him there down back to start I guess cause Dimma throws him into the centre only when things are going backwards. So Caddy would the one I could see under the pump if Broad or Short keep their spot.

Like the team.
So Broad and Short come out. Just not sure about Edwards... he can definitely play the McLeod role in his latter years, but love him wing/mid. But place him there down back to start I guess cause Dimma throws him into the centre only when things are going backwards. So Caddy would the one I could see under the pump if Broad or Short keep their spot.

who is Graeme

Graham?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would just like to say:

Grimes (AA) Astbury Vlastuin (future AA)
Houli (AA) Rance (5xAA) Stack (future AA)
Bolton (future AA?) Martin (3xAA, Brownlow, 2xNorms) Lambert (AA "squad")
Rioli (future AA?) Riewoldt (3xAA, 3xColeman) Edwards (AA)

Castagna Lynch (AA) Caddy (AA "squad")

Soldo, Cotchin (AA, Brownlow) Prestia (AA "squad" - robbed)

I/C Broad Nankervis Ross (future AA?) Pickett (future AA?)

So our best 22 contains 11 players who have been at least in the top 40 players of the AFL at one point or another, and another 2 (Stack and Vlastuin) who will surely be All-Australians in the future. In addition, I reckon we have another 4 guys (Bolton, Rioli, Ross and Pickett) who have the potential to be AA in our best 22, and (in my opinion) another 4 in our reserves, including Higgins, Balta, RCD and CCJ. As for Baker, Short, Graham; they fall in the same category as Astbury, Castagna, Soldo, Broad and Nankervis - good players who will have solid careers but we have seen enough now and I can't see any of them getting to that level (Astbury was close in 2018, leaving aside the prelim disaster, but he is now at the back end of his career).

What a position to be in coming off 2 premierships in 3 years!
Lol settle down. Rioli chases and tackles. He is a mile off being AA calibre, and honestly needs to do more to justify any hype.

Broad can't be knocked. He is safe as houses on the field, versatile, rarely beaten, does the job every week. Unless he is injured, he's pencilled in for 22 games next year.

Lol settle down. Rioli chases and tackles. He is a mile off being AA calibre, and honestly needs to do more to justify any hype.

Broad can't be knocked. He is safe as houses on the field, versatile, rarely beaten, does the job every week. Unless he is injured, he's pencilled in for 22 games next year.
Completely missed the spirit of my post and misquoted the content (I didn't knock Broad or leave him out of my squad and I never said Rioli was AA callibre now, only that he might be in the future). Cheers! :thumbsu:

For mine its pretty easy.

Rance comes in for Ellis.

Stack comes in for either Short or Baker.

Graham may not be ready for the season start hence he's not in my side, and will likely start the year behind Ross if that is the case.

Houli out of defence to the wing is a strong possibility, with Stackman back to HB where he played his best footy.

Last edited:

Graham may not be ready for the season start, and will likely start the year behind Ross if that is the case.

Houli out of defence to the wing is a strong possibility, with Stackman back to HB where he played his best footy.
Doubt Baker will be forced out, he is coming along nicely and looks to be on the upward trajectory.

Short is probably in a bit of danger, hasn't seemed to really break out and doesn't look like it, kind of feel like he's found his level. He can fit in, but he's carried a little and I think others will overtake him.

Doubt Baker will be forced out, he is coming along nicely and looks to be on the upward trajectory.

Short is probably in a bit of danger, hasn't seemed to really break out and doesn't look like it, kind of feel like he's found his level. He can fit in, but he's carried a little and I think others will overtake him.

Dont see how Bakers stays in with Rance, Stack & Graham (or Ross) not currently in the team.

1. Grimes.
2. Astbury
3. Broad.
4. Houli.
5. Rance.
6. Vlastuin

7. Lambert
8. Cotchin
9. Edwards Caddy

10. George
11. Lynch
12. Rioli
13. Martin.
14. Riewoldt.
15. Bolton

16. Soldo
17. Edwards
18. Prestia

19. Nankervis
20. Pickett
21. Stack
22. Graham

That said it would be dramatic change to the grand final side demote both Short and Baker

Graham may not be ready for the season start, and will likely start the year behind Ross if that is the case.

spot on

Last edited:
Anyone who doesnt have Graham in their best 22 is nuts. He is a lock for round 1 and first magnet on the board. Book mark it!

What he did in the prelim won't be forgotten, especially by dimma.
Only way Jack misses next year is injury.

Anyone who doesnt have Graham in their best 22 is nuts. He is a lock for round 1 and first magnet on the board. Book mark it!

What he did in the prelim won't be forgotten, especially by dimma.

On the other hand Ross seems to have tremendous upside

Only way Jack misses next year is injury.

Dimma seems fond of dropping Graham previous.

Greater mid batting now too with Ross, Stack, Pickett etc.

Ross is going to be a gun, perhaps as early as next year. He will be a centre square mid over Graham if he isn't already. He had 28 possessions in his 2nd game, Graham's top is 24 in his career. And he applies plenty of pressure to. Not saying he is over Graham yet in the match committee's eyes, but on 'potential'.

28 in his 3rd game? In Grahams 5th game, he tagged Slaone and kicked 3, it was only a granny and in front of 100k people. And how many young blokes his age do their shoulder early in a PF and tell the coach they're not coming off, keep sticking their head over the footy and tackling.

Just my opinion but not only is he in our best 22, he at least deserves first crack at it over the other young guys because of what he did in the prelim.
If it wasn't for Graham.All likelyhood we wouldn't be celebrating our 12th.Would have been 2 men down in the last.Even against an ageing geesook it may have been too much.

Dont see how Bakers stays in with Rance, Stack & Graham (or Ross) not currently in the team.

1. Grimes.
2. Astbury
3. Broad.
4. Houli.
5. Rance.
6. Vlastuin

7. Lambert
8. Cotchin
9. Edwards

10. George
11. Lynch
12. Rioli
13. Martin.
14. Riewoldt.
15. Bolton

16. Soldo
17. Edwards
18. Prestia

19. Nankervis
20. Pickett
21. Stack
22. Graham

That said it would be dramatic change to the grand final side demote both Short and Baker

spot on
I think Baker is trending up. That's more than some players and given his age I think it will continue over the preseason. I can really see him improving again where others may have just hit a plateau for the moment which is why I think he will find a spot.

You've got to remember there are always injuries, sure he might be on the cusp with a fully fit list, but that's unlikely to be the case.

I think Baker is trending up. That's more than some players and given his age I think it will continue over the preseason. I can really see him improving again where others may have just hit a plateau for the moment which is why I think he will find a spot.

You've got to remember there are always injuries, sure he might be on the cusp with a fully fit list, but that's unlikely to be the case.
From what I have seen of him in play I reckon Baker is a gun in the making...
I like his hardness for the contest...

Last edited:
I'd like to see shorty take Ellis spot on the wing ( not sure what his tank is like )
But his long kicking into the fwd line would be epic
Ellis played his best footy when on the wing and not in defense
I think shorty will be the same
Rancey takes shortys spot in defense
Picket ,,Graham ,, Ross, or Stack one of theses 4 gets a Guernsey the other 3 in the vfl

I think it’s something like rotate 4 players through 3 positions

Means they all play 3/4 games and keep fresh. Problem would be managing a drop off in performance after a week out and someone having a blinder then sitting out for a week

And that ladies and gents is post 1000

I’m so proud of myself! Probably should have saved it to give Shiite to Adelaide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back