Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
19 votes at the PCM.
Beat his man, played his role, did his job.
He'll be back with room to improve.
DFAT says no. Barred from re-entering Australia.

Whoever is responsible for his visa down there at Dingley should be fired. How could they not know when his visa would expire?

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
DFAT says no. Barred from re-entering Australia.

Whoever is responsible for his visa down there at Dingley should be fired. How could they not know when his visa would expire?

Good question, but more to the point, how come Nash himself didn't know? Are players so used to having everything done for them that they can't take care of a simple matter like a working visa? Over-staying your visa is a serious offence and if guilty, Nash may not be allowed back to Australia for a few years.

Last edited:

Braidz

All Australian
Sep 9, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good question, but more to the point, how come Nash himself didn't know? Are players so used to having everything done for them that they can't take care of a simple matter like a working visa? Over-staying your visa is a serious offence and if guilty, Nash may not be allowed back to Australia for a few years.

Was it a club or Nash’s error though? I read it was a DFAT error.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was it a club or Nash’s error though? I read it was a DFAT error.
I work in an industry with lots of foreign workers on Visa's we get a login to immi.gov.au where we can check the status of employee visas to ensure that they have the right to work in australia and if there are any limitations (student visas are only allowed 40hrs per fortnight for instance). Hawthorn should absolutely be on top of this if a small business is expected to be. I assume his visa is club sponsored too so would be even more their responsibillity to ensure it is all taken care of. It's all "a bit silly" and a "clerical error" now but it would have been a very different story had he been deported days before he was due to play in a Final.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I work in an industry with lots of foreign workers on Visa's we get a login to immi.gov.au where we can check the status of employee visas to ensure that they have the right to work in australia and if there are any limitations (student visas are only allowed 40hrs per fortnight for instance). Hawthorn should absolutely be on top of this if a small business is expected to be. I assume his visa is club sponsored too so would be even more their responsibillity to ensure it is all taken care of. It's all "a bit silly" and a "clerical error" now but it would have been a very different story had he been deported days before he was due to play in a Final.
Gil might've made a call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nash started to show plenty over the last 4-5 rounds. Happy with his progress. You can see he's worked really hard on straightening up his action when kicking for goal and actually looks proficient now. The improvement tragectory is really encouraging, who knows where the ceiling is.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Still not sure if he makes it, in what position... was hoping the he'd turn into a shut down CHB.
He may still, but (IMO) CHB isn't a position you can own by just turning up from the other side of the world - it takes years & he's what - 22 - playing his 4th year?

In a way, he's playing a defensive role, but in a relatively forgiving position (FP).

I've been hoping he can play a 2nd Ruck & I'm not prepared to rule him out of any/either role, or that of wingman etc.

So long as he continues to improve, he's one that I'm happy to carry on the list - even if it takes another 3-5 yrs.

Back