Strategy Your Club's Draft Needs

Remove this Banner Ad

What we need:
1. Winger-clark and duncan were injured but blicavs on a wing enough said. Burst mid with speed would help if we cant get a winger.
2. Quality ruck-all ours are nearly 30 or crap.
3. Developing kpf for when hawkins retires
4. Development kpd for post taylor/hendo

We have heaps of medium/general defenders dont need those and we are decently stocked for small forwards.

What we need:
1. Winger-clark and duncan were injured but blicavs on a wing enough said. Burst mid with speed would help if we cant get a winger.

We have heaps of medium/general defenders dont need those and we are decently stocked for small forwards.

Im still a little perplexed why you guys let Buzza go. He is still young and was kicking loads of goals at VFL level. Was snapped up fairly quickly to post delisting. The big question mark is you guys essentially replaced him with Josh Jenkins. What was stopping Buzza playing AFL footy?

Even with the acquisition of both Frost & Hartley as key position defensive cover & depth, I still reckon we'll be taking McAsey as a long-term replacement for Frawley….Best available player at pick 11, & I can't see too many better than him lasting till that pick.

Obviously Maginness will be our second pick, by matching a bid in the range of 15-20 you'd reckon.

Our third will likely target a small forward as a future replacement for Puopolo…..With 2 rookie up-grades onto the senior list, then that will likely be it for us.

Draft needs only for the CFC:

Ruckman - No, because of the years it will take to get up to speed and we have DeKoning who's in his third year now.
KPD - Not an immediate need.
KPF - Nothing here for us.
Mids - Only fast ones that can spread. No grunts required.
Wing-men - Not really, as we just took on Newnes with Martin to come. Also have mids that play off the wing - although if Stephens was available.

Small/Medium goal-kickers - How many list spots have we open? Need players that can crumb, that can mark and that can make something out of little.
Betts is good, but the 26 year old Betts would be better than the 33 year old Betts.

Quick and skilful Small/Medium defender - A run and carry player would be good, but not sure we need one with the pick #9

Im still a little perplexed why you guys let Buzza go. He is still young and was kicking loads of goals at VFL level. Was snapped up fairly quickly to post delisting. The big question mark is you guys essentially replaced him with Josh Jenkins. What was stopping Buzza playing AFL footy?

Marking is substandard...has had eyesight issues so may be due to that.
Incredibly hard worker though but i dont think he is afl standard.

That makes sense. From the VFL games I had seen him in, he was impressive.

His workrate tank second efforts blocking handballing etc are great and he is a decent kick for goal just a poor mark which is a big issue for a kpf. Worth a go as a project player which we did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon needs;

1. Inside mids - We have an abundance of one way running, small/mid sized midfielders with no real aggressiveness about them. A 185cm+ inside mid would be great.
2. Young key forward - Medium to long term key forward to replace Daniher, Stewart &/or McKernan.
3. Young ruck - Developmental long term ruck. One that could possibly play fwd/ruck would be nice.
4. Small forward - Would be nice to add another small forward but not a high priority for us.
5. Key defender - We have a couple of guys in our academy (NGA) in 2020 so not a huge priority after Hartley departing.

Hawthorn Needs

a ruckman
a key defender
a general defender - shutdown player
a couple of wingers
another inside mid would be handy
a small pressure forw

Maginness addresses that requirement.....We've also got a few others that can roll through there in Howe, Cousins, Jones & even Glass.

Add those to Worpel, O'Meara, Mitchell, Wingard & Shiels, then inside mid is the least of our concerns....What we really required was an inside mid with 2 way run & break-away speed, aka Coniglio.

Ceglar & McEvoy are ample to cover the ruck, though we do need to pick-up a kid to develop in that role. Possibly in the rookie draft...Both Lewis & O'Brien can also pinch-hit in that role.

We have plenty of 'general defenders' who can lock-down….See Burgoyne, Stratton, Hardwick & Howe.

Wingers are a dime a dozen....and with all of Smith, Henderson & Scully, there's no real urgency there....We also have Golds, Morrison & Moore in development.

That leaves a replacement for Frawley & a Small forward as our 2 other pressing needs in this draft, apart from Maginness, whose adding to our inside midfield stocks.

Obviously we'll go for best player.....But I can't see us passing up on McAsey, unless a Jackson or a Kemp somehow magically fall to our pick.

Young KPP V old KPP .....GEEL more about the now ....but I would have persevered, even if you rookie list the lad

Young KPP V old KPP .....GEEL more about the now ....but I would have persevered, even if you rookie list the lad

We only have one rookie spot available which didnt help his cause. Jenkins is a clear upgrade on him too.

What we need:

interesting. i was hearing inside mid and kpd

Essendon should be in the market for a young KPF to develop but the lack of quality ones in the draft will see us overlook this.
We desperately need inside midfielders both here and now and for the future but once again Adrian Dodoro will overlook this.

To be fair, you have drafted inside mids lately, like Mutch, Clarke, Guelfi etc. Unless the prospects available are better than those guys there's not much point picking them, and given how late you come into the draft, they might not be.

To be fair, you have drafted inside mids lately, like Mutch, Clarke, Guelfi etc. Unless the prospects available are better than those guys there's not much point picking them, and given how late you come into the draft, they might not be.

Quite literally every draft expert says Essendon is in the market for a young inside bull. Guelfi isn't a mid, Clarke has more questions than substance and Mutch wouldn't be on the list if he were not on contract.

Stand by the fact we should be in the market for an inside mid and a young key forward.

With our first we’d want Young, Serong or Kemp. They all suit us in different ways.

If we’re going to leave Mills and Heeney as part-time mids then a big pure mid would be good especially with Kennedy getting on.

I saw posts earlier from Richmond supporters re RCD... you can expect a call from us next year.

no chance u getting 2mums

Id argue Richmond need more mids and more KPP about equally.

We have the like of CCJ, Balta, RCD, Ross, Higgins knocking on the door but with high list turnover due to limited chances in a strong senior team the last few years - more depth and potential new guns are always welcome

Quite literally every draft expert says Essendon is in the market for a young inside bull. Guelfi isn't a mid, Clarke has more questions than substance and Mutch wouldn't be on the list if he were not on contract.

Stand by the fact we should be in the market for an inside mid and a young key forward.

I agree but who do you think you can get at pick 31 that is a better option than those guys? If you could package your two 30s picks up and move forward to grab Cooper Stephens that'd be ideal. I'm not sure there's a player in the draft afterwards that is really of the quality you're looking for in that position.

I agree but who do you think you can get at pick 31 that is a better option than those guys? If you could package your two 30s picks up and move forward to grab Cooper Stephens that'd be ideal. I'm not sure there's a player in the draft afterwards that is really of the quality you're looking for in that position.

good chance richmond take c stephens if they keep #19 and he is still on the board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back