No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else read Damien Barrett’s article on North Melbourne on the AFL app today? It doesn’t paint a pretty picture for them. I know there are some on here that just hate North, not me necessarily. We have similar histories and supporter bases and working class roots. If I barracked for them I’d be worried. Can 9 teams survive in Melbourne? Are we creating a better niche in the market in the Western suburbs as compared to them in the crowded Northern suburbs (Essendon, Carlton and even Collingwood up that corridor)? Could they go to Tassie permanently? Is that a better option than merging with a Melbourne based club, staying home but only have half you culture? Or even a quarter if it was a ‘big club’? If they fall are we next? Can Australian rules football afford to lose any historic clubs, even the so-called smaller ones that have hundreds of thousands of rusted on fans who support through good and bad times?

Are we next? North and Saints would be the first in line to go before we do to be honest. We have done very well off the field in recent years to strengthen the club. I have always believed the league will grow to, and should cap itself at 20 teams, keep two in each of the main states. A third team in WA and SA, both football first states and all their current teams have large supporter bases. And eventually a team in Tasmania, but that would have to be at the expense of a current Melbourne team, and repeat again if they throw a team into NT or Canberra. It would be better for Melbourne teams if there was a team or two less. Will be a question of whether fans will go towards the smaller teams, or just jump onto the bandwagons of the larger clubs. May not happen all in our lifetimes, but teams will always come and go in sports, even big ones can sometimes sink.

North and Saints both have similar membership numbers to us, but both have been plagued by debt and poor management decisions in recent times.

Are we next? North and Saints would be the first in line to go before we do to be honest. We have done very well off the field in recent years to strengthen the club. I have always believed the league will grow to, and should cap itself at 20 teams, keep two in each of the main states. A third team in WA and SA, both football first states and all their current teams have large supporter bases. And eventually a team in Tasmania, but that would have to be at the expense of a current Melbourne team, and repeat again if they throw a team into NT or Canberra. It would be better for Melbourne teams if there was a team or two less. Will be a question of whether fans will go towards the smaller teams, or just jump onto the bandwagons of the larger clubs. May not happen all in our lifetimes, but teams will always come and go in sports, even big ones can sometimes sink.

North and Saints both have similar membership numbers to us, but both have been plagued by debt and poor management decisions in recent times.

You mean the Stkilda we got Bevo and Baines from?

if it comes down to us and the saints we are Screwed

That is the key to it. How well the club is being managed. We are one of a clutch of Melbourne teams who have to walk a tightrope. Compare to Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast and Brisbane who can stuff up over and over and just get more poured in to fix.

I truly hope it works out for North. Putting myself in a Kangaroo supporter's shoes, the idea of having your club permanently pushed out of Melbourne is a horrible idea which I wouldn't wish on anyone, it would as good as kill football for me.
Its not a nice position to be in and I would hope one that we don't ever find ourself in again (perhaps the Ballarat deal helps to reduce the chance of this?), but its absolutely possible that we are one day in the future.

If the Fightback failed in 89, I would have spent the last 30 years watching the game on TV ( but saving 1000s not subscribing to FoxFooty) but never setting foot inside a ground for a live game again as a supporter of a team. I’m an old school emotional connection since birth supporter which I’ve instilled in my kids who have the same philosophy to footy. If it ever comes to us going down the gurgler again, AFL would be dead to me. I don’t wish that on anyone, even North supporters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember ‘89.

We were grateful for the solidarity and support we got from the Pies and some others. P1ssed off with Essendon etc who just wanted us gone.

Let’s not be as bad as the bombers if North is indeed in strife.

Or is it just another tabloid beat up?

Remember ‘89.

We were grateful for the solidarity and support we got from the Pies and some others. P1ssed off with Essendon etc who just wanted us gone.

Let’s not be as bad as the bombers if North is indeed in strife.

Or is it just another tabloid beat up?
It’s the slow news off-season, remember? Looking forward to some of the boys getting back into training next week. Anyone going to check them out?

Not sure where else this would belong, but:

There's a kid, Tyzreise Clark, likely to join the Eagles NGA in 2020 (eligible for draft in 2022 I believe) who is seriously looking like JUH level of talent, if not higher. Playing in the GFL right now (where Dom Sheed played) and has been breaking athletics records in WA the last couple of years, including hurdles and triple jump.

He's only 14 and is playing Colts with kids 3 years older than him, and just finished 4th in the overall Best and Fairest count. Playing at his own age level, he kicked 73 goals in 15 games this year. The kid is a freak, and I just wanted to put this out there so I can claim that I saw him first :)

There's a kid, Tyzreise Clark, likely to join the Eagles NGA in 2020 (eligible for draft in 2022 I believe) who is seriously looking like JUH level of talent, if not higher. Playing in the GFL right now (where Dom Sheed played) and has been breaking athletics records in WA the last couple of years, including hurdles and triple jump.

He's only 14 and is playing Colts with kids 3 years older than him, and just finished 4th in the overall Best and Fairest count. Playing at his own age level, he kicked 73 goals in 15 games this year. The kid is a freak, and I just wanted to put this out there so I can claim that I saw him first :)
Hopefully the NGA rules have been changed by then 😀

Hopefully the NGA rules have been changed by then 😀
Yeah I'm not really sure, but I have a feeling that while he'd qualify for their academy, they probably wouldn't get access to him. He's ethnically Maori, but I think both his parents are "from" Australia, if that makes sense. Looks like he'd end up in a similar boat to someone like Stevens from our academy, where we may or may not actually get priority access to him.

Also, as you said, NGA rules probably change by then. Still 3-4 years away :)

Yeah I'm not really sure, but I have a feeling that while he'd qualify for their academy, they probably wouldn't get access to him. He's ethnically Maori, but I think both his parents are "from" Australia, if that makes sense. Looks like he'd end up in a similar boat to someone like Stevens from our academy, where we may or may not actually get priority access to him.

Also, as you said, NGA rules probably change by then. Still 3-4 years away :)
Josh Rentsch is Kiwi heritage and we don't have access to him. Same deal with the WA lad if your info is correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Rentsch is Kiwi heritage and we don't have access to him. Same deal with the WA lad if your info is correct.
Sounds like it could be the case. Either way, he definitely will quality for Eagles' NGA, so I'd expect him to feature there, but hopefully he'll be on the open market. This is highly speculative since he's only 14 and still years away from being drafted (and that's assuming a different sport doesn't catch his eye) but at the current rate, this kid could be Pick 1

Sounds like it could be the case. Either way, he definitely will quality for Eagles' NGA, so I'd expect him to feature there, but hopefully he'll be on the open market. This is highly speculative since he's only 14 and still years away from being drafted (and that's assuming a different sport doesn't catch his eye) but at the current rate, this kid could be Pick 1
That's my point though. You're saying he will definitely qualify for the Eagles' NGA, but Rentsch hasn't qualified for our NGA yet both are of Kiwi heritage. If that is correct about the WA lad, he most certainly will not qualify for the NGA.

That's my point though. You're saying he will definitely qualify for the Eagles' NGA, but Rentsch hasn't qualified for our NGA yet both are of Kiwi heritage. If that is correct about the WA lad, he most certainly will not qualify for the NGA.
He has been invited to try out for their NGA already, so he must qualify - I just meant that he could join their academy without them necessarily having drafting rights to him

Well even if he is on the open draft, if all goes to plan, we’ll be top of the ladder without the picks for him. Sounds like one to watch though.

Gloryeiz.

16JTTxA.gif

Wow, these complicated draft rules with picks being sprayed around and going every which way and F/S / NGA and future pick trading and the whole vibe.

Is every club sort of being accommodated to get to where it wants?

Or are some clubs making tragic mistakes?

Thoughts anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back