List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I think getting 4 players at the draft this year is the goal. we've got p5 - excellent,, p25 & 32 - good,, p44 - Ok. Lets use them.
Theres a lot to play out before next year..
Paps might go (future 1st)
We might trade with GWS picks 5 for 6 + future first + more
Thurlow might come good and get traded for future 4th
Others might come good and get traded out
We can always use points from 2021 if needed

The age profile of our list from Heeney / Hewitt / Allirr down to the 2020 draftees is about right. It gives all those 18 - 25 yo players 5 years together (and two flags) I can see 2021 draft picks being used to trade in players to plug holes in our list

It'd be great to get a player before the Academy kids next year, and Im sure the Swans are thinking that and ready to jump on an opportunity if it arises.

Edit.. and we won't be finishing 15th next year.. likely 4 or 5 spots better

Last edited:

Keyter

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
I think getting 4 players at the draft this year is the goal. we've got p5 - excellent,, p25 & 32 - good,, p44 - Ok. Lets use them.
Theres a lot to play out before next year..
Paps might go (future 1st)
We might trade with GWS picks 5 for 6 + future first + more
Thurlow might come good and get traded for future 4th
Others might come good and get traded out
We can always use points from 2021 if needed

The age profile of our list from Heeney / Hewitt / Allirr down to the 2020 draftees is about right. It gives all those 18 - 25 yo players 5 years together (and two flags) I can see 2021 draft picks being used to trade in players to plug holes in our list

It'd be great to get a player before the Academy kids next year, and Im sure the Swans are thinking that and ready to jump on an opportunity if it arises.

Edit.. and we won't be finishing 15th next year.. likely 4 or 5 spots better
I take that on board but reckon it’s better to enter the year with a firm plan in action to get those two SS Academy’s and not hope on players improving next year or trading out...if any of what u suggests happens - great bonus - but if not the ground is already well laid. 4 or 5 spots higher up the ladder makes more points we need to find.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I take that on board but reckon it’s better to enter the year with a firm plan in action to get those two SS Academy’s and not hope on players improving next year or trading out...if any of what u suggests happens - great bonus - but if not the ground is already well laid. 4 or 5 spots higher up the ladder makes more points we need to find.
Yep.. Im sure there is a firm plan to get those kids, probably a plan to get an early pick in before the academy kids.
Just say we trade our 2019 p44 for a 2020 p44 because we need the points to match the academy kids.
that means we miss the opportunity p44 gives us this year, but are able to match the bids on The academy kids..
or..
We use p44 this year and get a player.. match the bids next year by having to use some points from 2021.

Basically the same result as far as getting the Academy kids.. The difference is, by the time 2021 points are used, we've been developing a player for two years.
Id rather that player now than in two years

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I think we got a future 22??? In the Jones deal. So this will be handy

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
"I’ve been missing out on a lot back at home,” he said.
“My older brothers both have kids and I miss out on a lot of birthdays and those things.
“Coming home and seeing them not really knowing you was a reality check for me that maybe I do want to come home and spend more time in their lives.”

Totally fair there its just something we will forever be disadvantaged over if we keep drafting players with upbringings in Victoria, No matter how well run the club is.
I get the feeling that Zak has been upfront with the club all along whereas maybe it took Paps a while to make up his mind.

Wow, reckon you are some way off the mark.
5 - I'd be fine with Flanders, but think he will be gone. He is what we need, big bodied athletic mid.
25 - De Koning, No chance for Swans given we picked up a KPD last week in Brand. I'd be seriously annoyed. Last year we reached for a mid in Rowbottom - he looks great so far. Unless Gould falls this far I don't see a KP player worth taking here.
32 - Extremely unlikely to trade given the range of good inside mids available in this range. Chirgwin might suit us, Rantall might be Hanners like - there are quite a few candidates.
4? - Who knows, totally dependent on too many things. We did pick up Taylor and Gray who can play outside. Maybe trade this and 76 for next year's points - I hadn't considered this. If we have Serong at 5 we won't be getting any other smaller mids with Gulden coming next year and Rowbottom not huge either.
76- ?

Flanders is a see-ball-kick-ball kid who I have no idea why is being rated as worthy of a top-ten pick. His impact wanes in and out of matches, doesn't possess any composure, awareness or polish, and is not particularly quick. Just racks up touches and is tall so can kick goals when forward. I'm sure he'd make a fine AFL player but I have no idea why this big bull is suddenly worthy of a top 5-10 pick but every other year they haven't been?

I would be very pleased if we drafted Dylan Stephens. Looks like a gun.

Kemp, Ash or Stephens imo.

Stephens would be way too high at 5/6, probably falls in between out first and second. If Papley went for pick 9, that's a reasonable get.

I would be very pleased if we drafted Dylan Stephens. Looks like a gun.

Kemp, Ash or Stephens imo.

Stephens would be considered a reach, but he and Robertson are two who I would be happy for us to "reach" for. Would I rather us take one of the (IMO) two best talents in Kemp and Young? Yes, but Stephens ability to play inside and outside, can use the ball well on both sides, and his running power are all things I'd welcome.

I've always felt the only thing that stopped him from being a top 5 prospect was his consistency, which isn't uncommon for outside players. But what reassures me about that is that he played in the SANFL at times this year, which is a tough ask for an U18s kid so he was never going to be regularly tearing games apart like the Rowells and Serongs were doing in the NAB League.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Flanders is a see-ball-kick-ball kid who I have no idea why is being rated as worthy of a top-ten pick. His impact wanes in and out of matches, doesn't possess any composure, awareness or polish, and is not particularly quick. Just racks up touches and is tall so can kick goals when forward. I'm sure he'd make a fine AFL player but I have no idea why this big bull is suddenly worthy of a top 5-10 pick but every other year they haven't been?
I'm going off write-ups and a couple of video highlights only. If you've seen him play then I'd respect your opinion.
I do think he has the physical gifts and mentality to impact in the middle, you'd hope we can teach the composure and looking for the right option, but maybe that's innate. Just don't want a kid who is going to play 30 games before he manages to touch the ball more than 10 times. Imagine if we traded down got Gould and played him in the middle. Total wrecking ball. :p

Is Freo's 10 + 22 worth pick 5? They get their two picks before Henry Bid. Maybe the player we want (After Green is gone) is there at 10.

I'm going off write-ups and a couple of video highlights only. If you've seen him play then I'd respect your opinion.
I do think he has the physical gifts and mentality to impact in the middle, you'd hope we can teach the composure and looking for the right option, but maybe that's innate. Just don't want a kid who is going to play 30 games before he manages to touch the ball more than 10 times. Imagine if we traded down got Gould and played him in the middle. Total wrecking ball. :p

Is Freo's 10 + 22 worth pick 5? They get their two picks before Henry Bid. Maybe the player we want (After Green is gone) is there at 10.

I’d hope not. To me Kemp and Young are among the most talented kids i’ve seen in my (admittedly short) time watching the U17s & 1&s. They have fallen in a year where we have our first top five pick in a decade. It’s not the be all that ends all if we take someone else, or use our pick to trade down the draft order, but I have a feeling it will be a real case of coulda shoulda woulda if we don’t give ourselves the best chance to land one of them while they’re in our reach.

Just my (redundant) opinion though. I’ve seen plenty who are not as enamoured with Kemp and Young, or anyone rated in the top half a dozen, in which case they’d probably be in favour of the equation you posed. I am just as convinced as you can be by two unproven teenagers yet to be drafted.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I’d hope not. To me Kemp and Young are among the most talented kids i’ve seen in my (admittedly short) time watching the U17s & 1&s. They have fallen in a year where we have our first top five pick in a decade. It’s not the be all that ends all if we take someone else, or use our pick to trade down the draft order, but I have a feeling it will be a real case of coulda shoulda woulda if we don’t give ourselves the best chance to land one of them while they’re in our reach.

Just my (redundant) opinion though. I’ve seen plenty who are not as enamoured with Kemp and Young, or anyone rated in the top half a dozen, in which case they’d probably be in favour of the equation you posed. I am just as convinced as you can be by two unproven teenagers yet to be drafted.
Reckon Kemp might still be there at 10.
Rowell, Anderson, Green, Young, Flanders, Serong, Ash, Jackson, Stephens could all well find homes first. After the first 4 I think there are 6-7 guys all more or less equal on scale? If we didn't get Kemp at 10 but but got Stephens, Jackson or Serong instead it wouldn't exactly be the end of the world.
Kemp to us at 10, plus a later pick represents a more reasonable option given his injury/risk/year of development lost. Not that I know if the points even work. But we could play around with 44 and/or next years picks if needed.

Given the flat draft from 15 to 40 , might be worth the extra pick at 22....would make for an interesting draft day anyway.

Last edited:

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Twomey thinks its out of Young, Flanders and Ash for us and that Serong will slide.

I would take Young out of those three and Serong and Kemp ahead of both Flanders and Ash. It would be great if Cooper Stephens or Jeremy sharp could then make it to 25.

Last edited:

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Stephens would be considered a reach, but he and Robertson are two who I would be happy for us to "reach" for. Would I rather us take one of the (IMO) two best talents in Kemp and Young? Yes, but Stephens ability to play inside and outside, can use the ball well on both sides, and his running power are all things I'd welcome.

I've always felt the only thing that stopped him from being a top 5 prospect was his consistency, which isn't uncommon for outside players. But what reassures me about that is that he played in the SANFL at times this year, which is a tough ask for an U18s kid so he was never going to be regularly tearing games apart like the Rowells and Serongs were doing in the NAB League.
Isn't it strange. Josh Gould does tear it up at SANFL level but he is slated at 20. Interesting. Plays in a premiership, seen as the best interceptor at SANFL level, a two times All Australian yet rates only twenty.

I prefer a player who has proven himself at the top level in his state to a player who hasn't. Except if they are on the younger side of the draft, like Hayward or McCartin. Dawson, Hewett, Grundy etc had all performed very well at the level below AFL.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
But apparently that guy rated by most to be the 26th best player in the draft is good at breaking the lines and is an excellent kick. We would be crazy not to take him at pick 5
Sorry, don't get what you are saying?

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I do think he has the physical gifts and mentality to impact in the middle, you'd hope we can teach the composure and looking for the right option, but maybe that's innate. Just don't want a kid who is going to play 30 games before he manages to touch the ball more than 10 times. Imagine if we traded down got Gould and played him in the middle. Total wrecking ball.

I think we might be interested in Gould but so are Adelaide. He definitely won't get through to pick two. He would be a handy pick up. He is SANFL seasoned, two time All Australian and is an intercept mark. We have been trying to get Mills into the centre. Here is our opportunity. What's more as you say Gould can play mids if needed. He is 192cm and could grow possibly 1-2 more cm. Then again he may not but gee he would be a get.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think we might be interested in Gould but so are Adelaide. He definitely won't get through to pick two. He would be a handy pick up. He is SANFL seasoned, two time All Australian and is an intercept mark. We have been trying to get Mills into the centre. Here is our opportunity. What's more as you say Gould can play mids if needed. He is 192cm and could grow possibly 1-2 more cm. Then again he may not but gee he would be a get.

Gould would not bother me at pick 5. Would be a reach for sure but he has assists and like you said it could mean moving Mills into the midfield. The positive with Gould is his size is not the reason why recruiters like him, meaning he is not doing a Tom Boyd and simply beating up on 17 year olds much smaller than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back