Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like us to do both

We start winning consistently and the rest takes care of itself.

I'm not so concerned about the short term future, but if we're still in a similiar predicament in 10-15 years, then we are going to be staring in to the abyss.

Time to circle the wagons again, the smoke signals are pretty easy to read.

That smoke is coming from my ears. Gutter journalist with an ax to grind. Vague and unsubstantiated tripe from a s**t stain of a human. Clearly Joyce and BS were feeding that prick and it’s high time the club just outright shun these muckrakers.
Bring back PAgan’s siege mentality. Take the gloves off and start *ing swinging.

We saw, in the first half of 2016, that winning isn't enough.

Can't agree. Losing the second half of that season more than offset the good start.

Just like losing the first half of this season left us too far behind to capitalise on our improvement post-Scott.

I'm sure when Snake said "win" he didn't mean for half a season.

I want Amarfio’s first order of business to call out Barrett for his putrid article.

The way Amarfio presents himself and the club in the media will be fascinating. We've taken an inoffensive, eager-to-make-everyone-happy approach for a long time. Amarfio's profile indicates he may be a bit more prickly than that. And his experience in media and broadcasting at the AFL, Austereo and CA would suggest he would know how the media game works. Interesting times.

"There is clearly a deal to be made for North in Tasmania, a potentially lucrative one which could see the club maintain an 11 "home" game arrangement in Melbourne as well as servicing eight or nine matches in Hobart and Launceston."

In what alternate universe could 11 home games in Melbourne, and 8-9 in Tassie for 1 club be even a remote possibility ? this sounds more like the ravings of a lunatic than an officially sanctioned ? journalist to be honest.

While I agree that winning, winning well and winning Grand Finals makes a massive difference to our resilience I think people are kidding themselves if they think that everyone will just start sucking our knobs because of that. There are a whole bunch of people in this industry - clubs in worse financial positions in Melbourne amongst them - that are quite happy to see us get hammered from all and sunbury. People don't like our club and would be happy to see us die to make their positions appear more secure. Make no bones about it, if we had won in 2016 instead of the Bulldogs we would never have had the industry fawning all over us.

We need to grind these competitors into the ground - on field and off. I have zero interest in being a liked club now, I'd prefer if we were outright hated instead of this sniveling coward stuff we put up with now - and I'd be happy if we tried to harness such hatred aggressively. Things like the no pokies stand, great, you know what we should be doing - actively campaigning and being outspoken about the others getting out of them as well. They have no qualms about using their clout and fixturing to make us weaker, we should have no qualms whatsoever about using what competitive advantages we have to hamstring and piss off other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, that article was Caro-esque. He’s gone from tantrums to malevolent and outright dangerous if he keeps this up. If there is an AFL agenda in place, he’s the new mouthpiece.

I cant get past that it’s published on the afl site, with the fixture and this article it’s pretty clear that they don’t want us. It’s not even a conspiracy theory it’s flat out obvious.

Enjoy these final few years guys

Any club having 11 away games in melbourne and 8-9 home games in Tasmania would be rightfully considered to be receiving preferential treatment. It would be completely unfair for non-victorian clubs to have to make the trip to Tasmania every time they play away games against us while no Melbourne clubs have to. If you want to see how a setup like that goes over a long period, look at how many games the Brisbane Lions play in melbourne each year. One of the AFL's promises to Fitzroy supporters was that the merged club would still play 8 games in melbourne a year. Last year they played 5. Same number as the Suns.

I mean, are people actually surprised that it looks like Damo is being spoonfed by Scott/Joyce?
Are you you forgetting just how ******* quickly most intimate club details disappeared from the media as soon as they were shitcanned? How quickly the NUMEROUS media outlets started shilling for Brad and potting every single decision we made from that moment?

The regularly struggling club - the one which took 50 years to win its first VFL premiership, which was forced into a private ownership structure in the 1980s as a last-resort survival project, which the AFL was desperate to move to the Gold Coast in the late 2000s – is again in a vulnerable state.
This being in the middle of the article, while mentioning the cost of giving people boot, and not mentioning how good our financial position in recent years has been tell you all you need to know about how the media/AFL will try to shaft us. Historically unsuccessful. Bad at managing the club and their finances. Wouldn't even be surviving if not for Tassie. etc etc

"There is clearly a deal to be made for North in Tasmania, a potentially lucrative one which could see the club maintain an 11 "home" game arrangement in Melbourne as well as servicing eight or nine matches in Hobart and Launceston."

In what alternate universe could 11 home games in Melbourne, and 8-9 in Tassie for 1 club be even a remote possibility ? this sounds more like the ravings of a lunatic than an officially sanctioned ? journalist to be honest.

These figures have been floating around for a long time and I believe them. We would have a third of the season split between North and South Tasmania, the rest of our home games in Melbourne and then another ~8 being away games in Melbourne (don't misinterpret the quotation marks around "home" as meaning actual home games). And it would be easy to sell; we travel for roughly half our games which is just as many as the interstate teams travel for.

That's the 'carrot' version of the deal anyway, if we play along. The stick version is we play the 8 games in Hobart, only get a handful in Melbourne, and they gut our Victorian zones etc even further.

Anyway, Geelong should be complaining about the "replacement games" system because several times they've had to play home games at Etihad/Marvel to accommodate our Hobart setup. It's not fair on them and it's a temporary salve at best.

None of that is true. I'm not defending the Tasmania arrangement at all, but Geelong's home games at Docklands have never had anything to do with our choice to play in Hobart. The replacement games that NMFC members receive are always negotiated between NMFC and the other Victorian clubs AFTER the draw comes out. Those deals have absolutely nothing to do with the AFL or their fixturing. The AFL does not have to make any concessions to NMFC to accommodate the Hobart home games presently. Reasons for Geelong hosting NMFC at Docklands have most commonly revolved around construction delays at Kardinia Park. Again, nothing to do with Hobart. If Geelong supporters have a problem with playing us at Docklands, then they should stop putting their hand out for government money to expand their shithole.

An alternative view...

It's a fair point but the whole piece is couched in so much rhetoric what does he expect?
Of course when we have been so average for so long there will be expectations during a time of change but some of the emotional arguments in damos writing are there specifically to rile us up

That also stinks of the bullshit that was fed to Fitzroy supporters about the amount of games Brisbane would play in Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back