Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

But he’s not working for Carlton or GC, he’s working for the AFL. If he chooses not to go to work at the company (the club) his employer (the AFL) nominates (the draft etc) then he gets to resign as an AFL player.
So who is the employer on the pay slip...

Let's say Jack Martin has been told by the Suns that they will re-draft him in the PSD for arguments sake.

I'm not really clear on the rules, but could Martin 'retire'? I know this is weird as he is OoC, but he then may be able to be picked up in the pre-season supplementary selection period? Shane Mumford was and he was retired. Is there any requirement that the player has nominated for the most recent draft or is it simply up to the AFL to tick off anyone who wishes to be listed this way?

Obviously this is a s**t show of a way to get to your club of choice, but a possibility? Carlton could rookie list him, pay him whatever they see fit and then just elevate him the next year.
Yeah, nah.

Absolutely it holds up. It’s done every day with contract labour hire companies.

Provided he’s being paid the agreed salary and other conditions and the workplace is safe then it’s completely fair and reasonable.

It’s definitely an argument, but not a tested one. The obvious point of difference is that an uncontracted worker could choose to ply their trade elsewhere in the industry at a competitive rate. In a player’s case, the AFL is the industry. Playing SANFL for eg doesn’t mitigate the restriction on a player earning what a free market would be willing to pay.

I’m not sure the courts would agree these two situations are wholly analogous.

I’m not sure anyone would really like find out.

Pittance! The only thing Pittance you'll get is Martin's contribution. Ordinary player asking for huge money.
That's strange coming from a Richmond fan. Over the last few years your club has made ordinary players (ordinary at the clubs they were playing for) like Caddy, Nankervis, Grigg, Houli etc in to best 22 premiership players. I would think of all fans, Richmond fans would get it; that a change of environment can do wonders for a player who has stagnated or is keen to move to another club for whatever reason.

As for the huge money, it's not huge. It is less than offered by other clubs (bulldogs), and around what he is worth for a first round draft pick in his 8th year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely it holds up. It’s done every day with contract labour hire companies.

Provided he’s being paid the agreed salary and other conditions and the workplace is safe then it’s completely fair and reasonable.

The only thing I’d question is the provision for geographically disadvantaged. As an example an employer can move your office at its discretion, provided it’s within 50km (or some such distance) from your employing office as listed in your contract.

No, if a contracting arrangement has terms that are “employer - employee” in nature then the courts will find it is an employment arrangement, which means the employer will be liable to pay superannuation, provide annual and personal leave etc.

Added, the AFL isn’t the employer of the players - it’s the clubs. This is also clear in the enterprise agreement. The AFL regulates and provides governance for the clubs, but the clubs employ the players.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

All this huff and puff has been great but if Martin refuses to sign for GC they need to delist him before the PSD unless they plan to take a delisted free agent post draft to fill their final list spot.

Well go on then, what am I repeating.

Haha, here you go again. Circular arguments avoiding the original question, if you're going to keep this up don't bother replying because it's pointless and boring.

It is funny seeing you accuse others of doing the same thing though

Haha, here you go again. Circular arguments avoiding the original question, if you're going to keep this up don't bother replying because it's pointless and boring.

It is funny seeing you accuse others of doing the same thing though
So you don't actually have anything you just made it up to troll, good day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back