Why hasnt there been more pressure on st kilda over the years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeXus Nick

All Australian
Jan 28, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'll believe either of things when I see them
Would you still follow North if they merged with the Bulldogs? Or would you prefer they relocated to Tassie?
If St Kilda merged I don't think I would follow the new entity. By if they relocated to Tassie and everything else stayed the same I would follow them.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
What's the comparison between Essendon and St Kilda finals droughts?

Two "foundation" clubs permanently mired in destructive scandal that add nothing to the comp imo.

Merge,bring in a Tassie team.
Every one in Tassie wants the fifo clubs gone but you do realise come the end of the current deals in 2021 the afl are going to be pushing really hard on north to play 7-8 home games down here if the afl wants a vic club gone I think we know who they want it to be!

Every one in Tassie wants the fifo clubs gone but you do realise come the end of the current deals in 2021 the afl are going to be pushing really hard on north to play 7-8 home games down here if the afl wants a vic club gone I think we know who they want it to be!

They can push all they want, we'll tell them to jam it like we did in 2007.

Reality is the team wirth the biggest debt that's most reliant on the AFL for funding is the most vulnerable and right now, that's you.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
um we DREW a grand final. so how did we lose two grand finals in a row?

toepoke and a bounce of a ball.
minor premiers too.

yes we nearly won back to back flags. ask any serious person.

Nearly ….. shmearly ……….

The fact is you have won just one flag in your total existence and that was way back in 1966. Throw in 27 wooden spoons and it is a sad return on 100-years of competition.

Sadly, the Saints have been a total irrelevance for the vast majority of their time and regardless of what trades and draftees they have just picked up, they are still an unsuccessful club.

The best thing they could do is relocate to the Sunshine Coast and capitalise on the growth in that area whilst still maintaining links to their membership base in Melbourne.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton: Worst performing AFL side.
Tainted disgraced 95 flag.
I would not be proud to be an elitist racist cheating club. Not one bit. Saints are the good guys, the club for the real people. We have mass support. 1 flag and we would have 75000 members easily.

Nice guys finish last !!

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Nearly ….. shmearly ……….

The fact is you have won just one flag in your total existence and that was way back in 1966. Throw in 27 wooden spoons and it is a sad return on 100-years of competition.

Sadly, the Saints have been a total irrelevance for the vast majority of their time and regardless of what trades and draftees they have just picked up, they are still an unsuccessful club.

The best thing they could do is relocate to the Sunshine Coast and capitalise on the growth in that area whilst still maintaining links to their membership base in Melbourne.
St Kilda nearly won back to back flags in 2009-2010, yet their one and only flag they nearly never won if it wasn't for a wobbly Barry Breen point they would have won none

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
You've been surrounded by this south east region for decades and you're $12 million in debt and the biggest recipient of AFL funding of the Vic clubs.

That you seem so unaware of your predicament is astounding.

The team that's financially weakest is the weakest team, that's how it works.

Its why we've busted arse to pay off our debt.

If you have no debt they can't knife you.
We’re 12 million in debt large
No, we want to go to Tassie, play four games. Like Hawthorn have been doing for ages. Its worked out for them.

The rest of this stuff is in your head only.
Ok it’s all in my head so the afl did not try and relocate you guys to the Gold Coast?? The last lot of deals that were signed in Tasmania did the afl not state that they would like a model of one club playing 7 home games in Tasmania preferably north Melbourne not hawthorn did this not happen according to you??

Ok it’s all in my head so the afl did not try and relocate you guys to the Gold Coast?? The last lot of deals that were signed in Tasmania did the afl not state that they would like a model of one club playing 7 home games in Tasmania preferably north Melbourne not hawthorn did this not happen according to you??

They tried and they failed.

They can try and move us to Tassie and they'll fail as there's a requirement that 75 per cent of members would need to approve such a move, and that will never happen.

So its not going to be us.

And the AFL don't have any leverage they can use in us - the leverage they use in these things is they threaten to stop guaranteeing a club's debt.

Because we paid off our debt after the Gold Coast scare. Its probably cost us onfield, money that could have gone to the footy department, but it has secured our future forever.

Its how they screwed Fitzroy over.

The team with most debt is most vulnerable to this AFL leverage.

That's YOU.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

They can try and move us to Tassie and they'll fail as there's a requirement that 75 per cent of members would need to approve such a move, and that will never happen.

And the AFL don't have any leverage they can use in us - the leverage they use in these things is they threaten to stop guaranteeing a club's debt.

Because we paid off our debt after the Gold Coast scare. Its probably cost us onfield, money that could have gone to the footy department, but it has secured our future forever.

That's YOU.
We had more debt then you when the Gold Coast thing happened they still came to north first though I don’t think it will happen and hope it doesn’t but the afl would look at north being a mid ladder team and still struggling for members st kilda have more members and were having been below north on the ladder for a while when we make finals we would go well above north in member numbers like it or not north have a small supporter base !

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
With the investment by the AFL in our new home ground, it's pretty clear we're not going anywhere. We were poorly run between 09 and about 2016 but back on track now.

screech

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2002
Christies Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Sheffield Wednesday
Better throw in Ballarat & Sydney as well.

Kangas have moved themselves everywhere and anywhere they could in the hope that someone would want them.

In the end, they keep getting slapped around like a red-headed step-child.
They would be best calling themselves the Northern Kangaroos and relocating to Albury-Wodonga - they would at least have a genuine identity rather than an inner-city suburb of 15k.

NeXus Nick

All Australian
Jan 28, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
They would be best calling themselves the Northern Kangaroos and relocating to Albury-Wodonga - they would at least have a genuine identity rather than an inner-city suburb of 15k.

That's YOU.
Hey Jean, you might want to have a look at this article......

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
What a disgraceful thread.

Very disappointing to see supporters of the big teams gleefully taking the opportunity to stick their boots into St Kilda and other smaller clubs
Considering how people call on the death of the Suns and Giants for the past 8 years or so, and a few of them are saints fans, I'm more than just a little amused at this thread.

Hardly disgraceful.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We get laughed at for being ambitious and failing, and also for being "irrelevant". We get laughed at for chasing big name players, and then for 'overpaying' when we do. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't..

Pretty much sums us up too.
I'd rather go for the Dusty, De Goey, Kelly types and miss, than every year settle for a draft swap or the likes of Aaron Hall.
Only 1 club is going to win the flag each year and it's no surprise clubs with strong off field bases/cultures/finances keep churning through them (Eagles, Tigers, Swans, Hawks), but I think the criticism of clubs like North and St Kilda trying to go hard at a flag with big salaries is a joke.

screech

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2002
Christies Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Sheffield Wednesday
What a disgraceful thread.

Very disappointing to see supporters of the big teams gleefully taking the opportunity to stick their boots into St Kilda and other smaller clubs
There is the issue, if after almost 30 years of equalisation measures they are still considered a "smaller club", then it is game over. They have had the privilege of being gifted a spot in the national competition for long enough, the game has passed them. Time to go play at a more suitable level for the size of their club and market.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
I think what kept St Kilda viable despite their on-field struggles is how loyal their base support was.

Even as dire as they were in the 1980s they never once had a sub-10k crowd at Moorabbin. Compare this with Fitzroy who had numerous sub-10k crowds at their various home grounds in the 60s, 70s, 80s & 90s. Even in a year where they finished 6th in 1982 they had a sub-10k crowd. A similar story with South Melbourne who had numerous sub-10k crowds in the early 1970s when they went through one of their poorest on-field spells.

Even a club like Hawthorn during their incredibly successful Princes Park 1974-1991 era had a lot of sub-10k crowds, which I suspect played a part in the merger push in 1996 despite all their premierships.

And yet despite St Kilda having as bad a run as anybody in the 1980s, their crowds relatively speaking held strong.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
There is the issue, if after almost 30 years of equalisation measures they are still considered a "smaller club", then it is game over. They have had the privilege of being gifted a spot in the national competition for long enough, the game has passed them. Time to go play at a more suitable level for the size of their club and market.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yep, it’s totally game over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back