Bigfooty Official Phantom Draft - recruiter notes

Remove this Banner Ad

I highly doubt we use those Picks.

Why Take Haiden Schloithe and Bolton as they keep getting passed over year after year after year after Year?

I totally agree with you neither Schloithe or Bolton will get picked.

But I'd take those two because they can contend for if not win best 22 positions. In fact, I'd personally be moving them both straight into the best 22 on performance along with Sokol.

For mine, they're better than Mayne/WHE/Sier who otherwise would be inside my 22. And they're all a lot better than Brown and those further outside the club's 22. I don't see a club competition-wide these guys couldn't get a game for.

For those who don't watch the WAFL it will be hard to appreciate how good these three are.

We're not talking about 18 year olds. We're talking about guys well into their 20s who just aren't getting drafted because they don't fit the age profile clubs would like.

Jye Bolton in his one season as a rookie for Collingwood was near best 22 quality and he's twice the player he was then and has developed a complete game. Schloithe in the year Tim Kelly was drafted (2017) was even better than Kelly was. These guys both have complete games. Schloithe is all class. He's not only a ball winner, but he's just as capable as a forward and his ball use is top notch. It's a joke he's not on an AFL list. Equally with Bolton, in an inside or outside role, he can just slip in and play a really high quality brand of football and have no issue transitioning to AFL level play.

I think this is just another indication that we'll be trading up this year - it might only take a 5-10 pick rise up the draft order to nab someone we want later in the draft.

Whether this is part of any further plans to move up into the top 15-25 picks of this draft is another story, but I can see a draft-day "swoop" happening if there's a player we want and a willing trade partner happy to move say a 3rd round pick this year in a mutually beneficial swap of 2019 / 2020 picks,especially now that clubs have more time to negotiate swaps in this year's draft.
I hope so. Our recruiting team seem to lack creativity. Hopefully with Ned in the chair this changes and we start working on a few permutations during draft night.

I hope so. Our recruiting team seem to lack creativity. Hopefully with Ned in the chair this changes and we start working on a few permutations during draft night.
Seems to me with Ned in the chair we have gone even more conservative, re signing a bunch of average footballers, all I can say is that our Salary cap must be worse than we all thought

WHE is fast, covers a lot of ground, can mark and hit the scoreboard (or at least did in 2018). On the other hand he doesn't find enough of it (has never averaged close to 20d per game in a season), is allergic to winning the contested ball (averages less than 5cp per game and averaged 1cp between the two finals this year) which makes him a liability when it's finals time, pressure he provides and ground level stuff is below average by position. I'm not committed to WHE, nor convinced he should be in the club's best 22. He's someone I'd ideally like to see passed by someone better.

I'd take Sokol. Much better ground ball/contested ball winner. Stronger mark and will take many more marks. Finds the ball more easily. Hits the scoreboard more heavily. A much smarter and more natural footballer overall. Not nearly as fast, but it's mostly the speed and hops that WHE has, otherwise there isn't anything else that immediately comes to mind that is better from WHE than Sokol.

Georgiades is glimpses of talent over performance. He's not inside my top 40 and probably won't be in my top 50. He's someone who should be taken in the national draft, but is someone I'd only be willing to take as a rookie. He's not someone I could pick with confidence having not played this year and with his 2018 play patchy and only good in glimpses.

Shifting to defence performance can be a lot quicker than you'd think. Leon Davis did it first year upon making the switch, likewise Howe and Crisp.

Overall it's me not rating Brown/Daicos and to a lesser extent WHE who for me is (just) inside my best 22 but someone if a few good players are added who I'd have lose his spot in a fully healthy side.

Where my view contrasts to your own re. Collingwood's best 22 is I don't hold the totality of the best 22 in as high regard. Beams I'm uncertain where he stands firstly (if he can return to 2018 or earlier Beams no dramas he's a definite starter), Sier is (just) in my current best 22 but one I'd move out for someone better if he doesn't play better this year, WHE I'm fine with playing but don't hold in particularly high regard from that side I mentioned earlier. Mayne is capable but can be passed by and is someone I'd ideally like to see succeeded. Quaynor in defence I consider good enough to get regular games this year but depending on who is added and how good they are he could be forced to wait longer if someone else with a more advanced/better game is added. So depending on the quality of players added or how advanced their games, I do see chances for players to come in.

All the guys I've added are better than several of the players who got regular games in 2019. eg. all of them I regard ahead of Callum Brown who for mine doesn't as a 0.5 goal per game fwd/mid who can't even average 15 disposals per game isn't playing to a high enough standard. Decent as his pressure is. I'd rather a Lowson as a direct replacement who can bring that, but brings even more speed, better crumbing and can hit the scoreboard more.

I have IQ in and like you I'd like to see some of Murphy to get a sample and see how he holds up at AFL level for an extended stretch if we're looking for an injury replacement at some point.

Riccardi I like and would have no issue with taking at 35 or with one of the later picks if there. I strongly considered him at 35 in the bigfooty draft but there were a couple available who I slightly preferred, though knowing I'd be able to get all these forwards if I had my time again I'd possibly have taken him.

Pickett I think could go earlier than expected. There is talk one or two clubs inside the top-30 are considering him. And for me that's ridiculous for a 171cm forward who only averaged 13.7d, 2.3m, 2.7t and 0.7g per game during the U18 Champs. He's high impact per possession and his pressure really causes teams trouble, so he's influential and a possible piece, but I wouldn't want to spend a top-30 pick on him and I'd rather not pay a top-40 pick on him. He won't be available at Collingwood's later pick from the sound of things, so if Collingwood liked Pickett and he was available at 35, that's the pick that likely would be needed to take him.

Appreciate your work KM.
Just a couple of things. I think it’s disappointing that we have kids drafted over the past couple years that, in your view, aren’t good enough to get a game and ‘prospective’ draftees rank ahead of them. Personally, I agree with you. Although I do like the look of Tyler Brown and think he could see some solid senior action this year.

The others I’m not convinced. I think it’s a reflection of our inability to trade for higher picks, keeping players on our list for too long, or possibly overpaying.

I really like WHE in our forward line. He adds to the unpredictability down there with his speed, leap and skill. He can play up near the wing and also out of the goal square. Looking at overall balance, I think he is important. I don’t believe he needs to get 20 possessions a game. Yes in 2019 he could have been better, however, we seem quick to write-off players after 1 ordinary season. Kicking over 40 goals in 2018 and looking dangerous shows he has a lot of ability and he can easily get to that level again.

Appreciate your work KM.
Just a couple of things. I think it’s disappointing that we have kids drafted over the past couple years that, in your view, aren’t good enough to get a game and ‘prospective’ draftees rank ahead of them. Personally, I agree with you. Although I do like the look of Tyler Brown and think he could see some solid senior action this year.

The others I’m not convinced. I think it’s a reflection of our inability to trade for higher picks, keeping players on our list for too long, or possibly overpaying.

I really like WHE in our forward line. He adds to the unpredictability down there with his speed, leap and skill. He can play up near the wing and also out of the goal square. Looking at overall balance, I think he is important. I don’t believe he needs to get 20 possessions a game. Yes in 2019 he could have been better, however, we seem quick to write-off players after 1 ordinary season. Kicking over 40 goals in 2018 and looking dangerous shows he has a lot of ability and he can easily get to that level again.

One trend that seems to have changed for Collingwood over recent years has been a move away from turning over the list.

Around 5-10 years ago, the list was being irresponsibly turned over it felt like, but now we've gone these past few seasons much more conservatively and I feel overly so where we're keeping players a year or two too long who don't look a chance to develop into best 22 players or others in their mid or late 20s who aren't best 22.

I'm looking at the state leagues, others getting delisted or getting moved on the cheap who are better and rather than being outside best 22 quality would actually improve the club's best 22. eg. Last year I spoke glowingly about Jarryd Lyons and Aaron Hall as two top of mind examples. This year I'm saying the same of Josh Walker among others. In my view these are the opportunities Collingwood are missing.

Tyler Brown I'm also interested to see and want to see receive opportunities in 2020. He's someone who was drafted off a nothing draft year where he couldn't find the footy but he has improved progressively and I'm curiously to see whether he can step things up another few gears and become a genuine best 22 player or contender. If he takes giant steps each year, and it looks like he is developing towards earning a best 22 position I'm open to retaining him. It's more those who don't look like they will earn best 22 spots I feel should be moved as it's just wasting list positions and others can be identified who can fill other list holes and win spots.

WHE's 2019 was poor and even his second half of 2018 was poor. The only period his play in his career so far has been good was the first half of 2018 where through rounds 1-14 he kicked at least one goal in every game. After that point he wasn't even good for one goal per game for the following rounds with 12 goals from those last 13 games. I feel WHE is definitely best suited close to goal as he doesn't find nearly enough of it up the ground. It's on him to recapture that form. If he can't kick 1.5 goals per game and play a similar brand of football to his first half of 2018 and cause problems close to goal as he did durign that period, I'd be exploring alternatives. But that's for me that condition. And if say Sokol was added. That competition for spots would be on because at AFL level, I'd back Sokol to get 1.5+ goals and take more marks per game than WHE. With Elliott injury prone though and generally one of the forwards missing anyway, no reason there couldn't be room for both.

One trend that seems to have changed for Collingwood over recent years has been a move away from turning over the list.

Around 5-10 years ago, the list was being irresponsibly turned over it felt like, but now we've gone these past few seasons much more conservatively and I feel overly so where we're keeping players a year or two too long who don't look a chance to develop into best 22 players or others in their mid or late 20s who aren't best 22.

I'm looking at the state leagues, others getting delisted or getting moved on the cheap who are better and rather than being outside best 22 quality would actually improve the club's best 22. eg. Last year I spoke glowingly about Jarryd Lyons and Aaron Hall as two top of mind examples. This year I'm saying the same of Josh Walker among others. In my view these are the opportunities Collingwood are missing.

Tyler Brown I'm also interested to see and want to see receive opportunities in 2020. He's someone who was drafted off a nothing draft year where he couldn't find the footy but he has improved progressively and I'm curiously to see whether he can step things up another few gears and become a genuine best 22 player or contender. If he takes giant steps each year, and it looks like he is developing towards earning a best 22 position I'm open to retaining him. It's more those who don't look like they will earn best 22 spots I feel should be moved as it's just wasting list positions and others can be identified who can fill other list holes and win spots.

WHE's 2019 was poor and even his second half of 2018 was poor. The only period his play in his career so far has been good was the first half of 2018 where through rounds 1-14 he kicked at least one goal in every game. After that point he wasn't even good for one goal per game for the following rounds with 12 goals from those last 13 games. I feel WHE is definitely best suited close to goal as he doesn't find nearly enough of it up the ground. It's on him to recapture that form. If he can't kick 1.5 goals per game and play a similar brand of football to his first half of 2018 and cause problems close to goal as he did durign that period, I'd be exploring alternatives. But that's for me that condition. And if say Sokol was added. That competition for spots would be on because at AFL level, I'd back Sokol to get 1.5+ goals and take more marks per game than WHE. With Elliott injury prone though and generally one of the forwards missing anyway, no reason there couldn't be room for both.

You could say outside of JDG and Stephenson then just about all our Mid/Small Forwards can be Upgraded

Last edited:
We're not going to upgrade Stephenson or Elliott easily.

WHE looks to have it all, but he's just not that good.

Forgot Stephenson but can with Elliot with his Injury History

You could say outside of JDG and Stephenson then just about all our Mid/Small Forwards can be Upgraded

You're right. JDG and Stephenson are the two building blocks and they're both special - top three on the list in value special after only Grundy, with Moore only slightly behind those guys due to poor durability and ongoing durability concerns.

Elliott is not great but pretty good and someone I'm comfortable playing though health is a question mark. WHE is flawed but had that promising first half to 2018 and Josh Thomas had a solid 2018 season but whether either can replicate that is unclear and remains to be seen, WHE being younger though hardly young I hold relatively the higher hopes for. Mayne can swing forward and is serviceable. Varcoe is still quick and can still apply pressure but is far from his best. C.Brown can pressure but doesn't bring anything else to the table. Daicos looks like a good VFL footballer but lacks that point of difference to make it at AFL level. Atu is a project who needs considerable time. Broomhead if he is back again next year is always hurt and can't be relied upon. So the front half is the weak zone.

We're not going to upgrade Stephenson or Elliott easily.

WHE looks to have it all, but he's just not that good.

That's a good way to put WHE. Has the tools with the speed, endurance, leap. Has the marking and goalkicking capabilities and can isolate deep. But just can't find enough of it - whether it's getting to the right places to get those touches or win his own ball really to any extent. Pressure ok but should be better for someone with his athletic capabilities. Until he can win his own ball, and it looks unlikely he'll develop that capability given he averages sub 5cp per game over his career, I think he's going to find it hard to put together consistent performances on the big stage or against the better teams ultimately.

You're right. JDG and Stephenson are the two building blocks and they're both special - top three on the list in value special after only Grundy, with Moore only slightly behind those guys due to poor durability and ongoing durability concerns.

Elliott is not great but pretty good and someone I'm comfortable playing though health is a question mark. WHE is flawed but had that promising first half to 2018 and Josh Thomas had a solid 2018 season but whether either can replicate that is unclear and remains to be seen, WHE being younger though hardly young I hold relatively the higher hopes for. Mayne can swing forward and is serviceable. Varcoe is still quick and can still apply pressure but is far from his best. C.Brown can pressure but doesn't bring anything else to the table. Daicos looks like a good VFL footballer but lacks that point of difference to make it at AFL level. Atu is a project who needs considerable time. Broomhead if he is back again next year is always hurt and can't be relied upon. So the front half is the weak zone.

Really enjoy reading your informed opinions KM. With respect to WHE I think many of us forget he missed big chunks of preseason last season;
This can really impact on a players performance.

Really enjoy reading your informed opinions KM. With respect to WHE I think many of us forget he missed big chunks of preseason last season;
This can really impact on a players performance.

No doubt time missed during preseasons hurt.

The key with WHE though is that it wasn't just that his 2019 season was poor, but his second half of 2018 wasn't good either.

He needs a big preseason to ensure he holds his position and continues to be viewed as a long term piece, because at the moment I categorise him as someone who is ideally passed by.

If the Pies are to get the most out of him, based on that early 2018 form, it's going to happen close to goal.

That's a good way to put WHE. Has the tools with the speed, endurance, leap. Has the marking and goalkicking capabilities and can isolate deep. But just can't find enough of it - whether it's getting to the right places to get those touches or win his own ball really to any extent. Pressure ok but should be better for someone with his athletic capabilities. Until he can win his own ball, and it looks unlikely he'll develop that capability given he averages sub 5cp per game over his career, I think he's going to find it hard to put together consistent performances on the big stage or against the better teams ultimately.

He moves so gracefully and his skills are so clean that he looks like a gun, but he's just not very good in a contest and that makes WHE a very limited footballer and unlike the blokes who are still very good footballers without being much chop in a contest, his pace and endurance are good without being off the charts and his game sense is mediocre.

He needs to forget about having the tank for the wing, hit the weights and play deep forward - it really should be at a different club though - becasue I can't see him going past any of Elliott, JDG or Stepho for a deep forward role. If even 2 of those 3 are fit and playing predominately forward, I'd prefer to see us playing a front and centre forward ahead of WHE.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Pies are to get the most out of him, based on that early 2018 form, it's going to happen close to goal.

This is 100% correct. And the problem.

WHE is best leading up from deep inside 50. He is possibly the best leading player we have on the list.
De Goey is also best playing deep in F50, and ideally with space. Best when he is the target.
Elliott is also best playing deep in F50. Best when he is the target.
Stephenson is also best playing deep in F50. Best when he is the target.

Of these guys, only De Goey (midfield) and maybe Stephenson (HFF/wing) have shown some promise in being able to develop into another position, although neither are there quite yet. And both are far stronger deep in F50. And none of them are yet any good at crumbing off a target that isn't them (e.g. the small forward role). We don't have a small forward.

Couple this with the need to play a tall forward (e.g. Cox) and it makes it a very crowded deep forward line or we need to move a bunch of these guys up the ground where they aren't effective.

Find it quite funny when people rate form in the WAFL comp as making players better than existing top 22 players. WHE would be like Nat Fyfe in the WAFL. Time to calm down people.

This is 100% correct. And the problem.

WHE is best leading up from deep inside 50. He is possibly the best leading player we have on the list.
De Goey is also best playing deep in F50, and ideally with space. Best when he is the target.
Elliott is also best playing deep in F50. Best when he is the target.
Stephenson is also best playing deep in F50. Best when he is the target.

Of these guys, only De Goey (midfield) and maybe Stephenson (HFF/wing) have shown some promise in being able to develop into another position, although neither are there quite yet. And both are far stronger deep in F50. And none of them are yet any good at crumbing off a target that isn't them (e.g. the small forward role). We don't have a small forward.

Couple this with the need to play a tall forward (e.g. Cox) and it makes it a very crowded deep forward line or we need to move a bunch of these guys up the ground where they aren't effective.

I agree with you about their best positional usages, but there are workarounds.

JDG while I'd still play him more forward than not I would inject into the midfield more regularly as my view is he is now the club's best stoppage player and more of him is needed through there for that. Stephenson I want to see play up on a wing more this year and show his line-breaking capabilities more beyond simply what he can do as a forward, it's time to expand his game and do some more of the things he has the capabilities of doing but just hasn't had the chance to do at AFL level. Elliott would rotate between fp/hf and WHE would do the same. Overall it would be a flexible group that would switch and rotate between playing deep to exploit particular matchups and attempt to cause problems.

Find it quite funny when people rate form in the WAFL comp as making players better than existing top 22 players. WHE would be like Nat Fyfe in the WAFL. Time to calm down people.

There are players in all the state leagues who would be best 22 players for a combination of teams.

No one is sleeping on Tim Kelly now, or Tom Stewart. How about Marlion Pickett last year?

For those who watch these competition's the players being discussed are players who outplay AFL footballers every week.

Unlike Tim Kelly or Tom Stewart who would be top-5 on every list in the competition, Schloithe/Bolton/Sokol are three I'd categorise as best 22 on any team in the competition. If they played on Gold Coast, they're probably all top-10 players on that list if added.

JDG while I'd still play him more forward than not I would inject into the midfield more regularly as my view is he is now the club's best stoppage player and more of him is needed through there for that. Stephenson I want to see play up on a wing more this year and show his line-breaking capabilities more beyond simply what he can do as a forward, it's time to expand his game and do some more of the things he has the capabilities of doing but just hasn't had the chance to do at AFL level. Elliott would rotate between fp/hf and WHE would do the same. Overall it would be a flexible group that would switch and rotate between playing deep to exploit particular matchups and attempt to cause problems.

I agree. But the fact is both De Goey and Stephenson are match winners from deep in the forward line. They could be good players up the ground, but I'm not convinced they can have the same impact. It takes some balls to move matchwinners away from their best zone of impact to somewhere else on the ground that they aren't as strong in just because there are lesser players (Elliot and WHE) who can cover deep forward satisfactorily (but to a lesser extent).

Having said that I agree. I'd give De Goey more time midfield and let Stephenson run a bit higher up the ground. I'd also like to see him played a bit at half back in an attacking role in the preseason, but acknowledge it is highly unlikely.

I agree. But the fact is both De Goey and Stephenson are match winners from deep in the forward line. They could be good players up the ground, but I'm not convinced they can have the same impact. It takes some balls to move matchwinners away from their best zone of impact to somewhere else on the ground that they aren't as strong in just because there are lesser players (Elliot and WHE) who can cover deep forward satisfactorily (but to a lesser extent).

Having said that I agree. I'd give De Goey more time midfield and let Stephenson run a bit higher up the ground. I'd also like to see him played a bit at half back in an attacking role in the preseason, but acknowledge it is highly unlikely.

De Goey had Impact in the Guts when he played there and we looked our Best when he was in there

With De Goey/Stephenson/Elliott/WHE I'd have the usage as something like each play something like 50% deep forward. De Goey can often start at stoppages and then push forward and blend that with time isolated deep when matchups are favourable or when the midfield is well on top/he wants to rest forward to accomplish something like that balance. Stephenson I like close to goal but I see a lot of scope to develop wing/hf and he should be splitting that time between the two spots. Then Elliott and WHE get the remaining minutes deep and when they can't, they play more-so across half-forward.

If Sokol could be added, he would basically straight replace WHE in my optimal structure and they'd have a real fight for that position.

Though we have Bigger Needs then Upgrading Small/Medium Marking Forwards

It's more my draft worked out that way and at the end of the day you can only take who is there.

Harry Schoenberg and Ryan Byrnes were the two I wanted as mids with my first pick but to my surprise both were taken. I don't think in the real draft that will be the case.

I bid on Biggy as a key defender but to my surprise St Kilda matched my bid. Had my eye on Jake Riccardi but he went two or three picks before my second. Sometimes things don't fall in a way for it to happen.

If the draft worked out this way, I'd be open to considering a Nicholas Murray (brother of Sam) and/or Brodie Newman as rookies as key defenders. Newman is on the shorter side and a poor kick but is as well performed as any by position in the pool and Nicholas as an overager (December b-day) his equal in that category though taller/stronger but is a below average athlete. So they both have that relative 'yeah but' to them which makes them more appropriate for rookie picks rather than national draft picks.

Key forward it's only really Riccardi I like given his rate of improvement these past two seasons and good performance this year in the VFL. Georgiades I don't rate. He's undersized and hasn't done enough so he's not one I'd be picking despite the hype train others seem to be driving.

Hi all,

This year as per tradition I'm recruiting for Collingwood in the annual Bigfooty Official Phantom Draft.

A link for all those who wish to follow it: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/big-footy-phantom-draft.1231744/

--
My first selections:

And here I had planned all day to take Byrnes, sure he would be there.

Pick 35 - Collingwood (bid on) Bigoa Nyuon (St Kilda NGA)
For those wanting a quick insight: he's a taller, more athletic and a more talented footballer than Aliir Aliir, reading it a lot better than Aliir Aliir did at the same age.

Ysaye do you match?

**Ysaye matched.
Therefore...

#36 - Collingwood - Jack Mahony

Best position:
General forward/inside midfield

Height, weight: 178cm, 72kg

Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

Projected draft range: 25-50

Plays like: Jack Higgins

October Rankings: 26

Strengths: Crumbing, ground ball winning, forward pressure, tackling, precision kick placement out in front of targets to lead onto, decision making, vision, football IQ, creativity, agility, work rate, best suited as a forward but able to push up through the midfield

Weaknesses: Height, scoreboard impact, reliable but not dominant overhead mark, speed, athleticism

--
Rationale: Feeling Collingwood are a good crumbing forward short I like the fit the crafty Jack Mahony provides. He's ready made and can contend with the likes of Josh Thomas and Callum Brown if not displace them from the senior side next season as someone who compliments Collingwood's marking forwards. Mahony is ideally suited as a front and centre crumber, a missing link in Collingwood's best side, and arguably Mahony can this better than any existing player on the club's list.

I've made the comment before, but I slightly favour Mahony to the more highly touted and likely top-15 selection Cody Weightman with my view being that while he's not nearly as athletic, Mahony is the better footballer.

--
Feel free to ask your draft about my thought process with the bigfooty phantom draft, who I would select or just general draft questions about any prospects of interest and I'm more than happy to answer.

Or alternatively you can post in my main draft thread here and see all my AFL draft articles/rankings/phantom drafts etc here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2019-draft-almanac.1211854/
Interesting, my feel is that we are laden with small forwards and on ballers? We couldn’t possibly give them all game time? I’d be surprised if we took another.

If as you say there is no obvious talent available, do we just go high risk and pick someone that could produce something special?

A rotation through the goal square is how it worked with WHE, JDG and Stepho in 2018. But adding a 4th into the rotation - Elliott - makes the rotation even tougher. Personally, I'd be viewing WHE as depth which we'll probably need for much of the season again or trying to re-train him in defence.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back