Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

57,268 at Flemington for Stakes Day.

The lowest result since 2004 which makes it comparatively the best of the 4 carnival days by that measure:

Derby the lowest since 1999
Cup Day the lowest since 1995
Oaks the lowest since 1994
Stakes the lowest since 2004.

The overall total of 276,186 is the lowest since 1997.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
The bright side for the horse racing industry was that this year was the perfect storm of negativity surrounding the event plus dismal weather.

Unless there is another major scandal it shouldn't really get lower crowds next year.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Don’t have those to hand but I would say that all 6 games had very healthy numbers of Sri Lankan/Pakistani supporters attend which kept the figures from being much worse.

Also, Big Bash games can easily exceed those numbers, so it’s not like T20 cricket can’t attract crowds. The fact that they were played in October and November clearly impacted, as well as a lack of promotion.

I think it shows meaningless games and series will struggle without a decent lead in.
With rare exceptions, international cricket staged in Oz that occurs in October or early November draws poor crowds.

Even the much hyped Oz v World XI matches back in 2005 drew disappointing crowds, and that had huge hype surrounding it.

I went to the Oz v SA ODI in Hobart in November last year and that had barely 5k attend.

Normally CA wouldn't have so many T20s this early in the season but with a home WC coming up it was a bit of an exception.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Large India and England crowds in December and January cloud people's opinion on how many are interested in going to the cricket.

Does anyone have comparisons to the last time Srilanka and Pakistan played in Australia or other October series?

TV into the sub continent would almost certainly exceed what is paid locally, ?

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Cricket is about the most seasonal of all sports. For those with a passing interest, it’s the sound of summer - not mid-late spring.

The two T20 international series were basically scheduled for Fox Sports’ benefit. They gave the pay TV broadcaster exclusive rights to home international cricket and the ability to lead off the summer. I can’t imagine anyone at Cricket Australia would have bargained on attendances being much higher for those games.

I can’t imagine anyone at Cricket Australia would have bargained on attendances being much higher for those games.
Then why oh why oh why are they "disappointed" with the recent crowds? Check out the article I linked to on the previous page, baffling stuff.

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Melbourne City celebrating ten seasons in the A-League after nine years and three months was weird. Aside from the whole City/Heart franchise thing, it’s not even close to the right date (although they got the opponent right).

That first Heart game was on a Thursday night in August 2010 and attracted 11,050. Friday night’s match drew 5,547 - so almost exactly half the number.

Hand on heart (ahem...) - I’m one of the 5,500 who have dropped off since that inaugural night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
57,268 at Flemington for Stakes Day.

The lowest result since 2004 which makes it comparatively the best of the 4 carnival days by that measure:

Derby the lowest since 1999
Cup Day the lowest since 1995
Oaks the lowest since 1994
Stakes the lowest since 2004.

The overall total of 276,186 is the lowest since 1997.

I reckon the three days of horribe weather would have knocked off at least 30 -40,000. Much easier and cheaper to stay at home on the lounge in front of the TV and bet from home.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Melbourne City celebrating ten seasons in the A-League after nine years and three months was weird. Aside from the whole City/Heart franchise thing, it’s not even close to the right date (although they got the opponent right).

That first Heart game was on a Thursday night in August 2010 and attracted 11,050. Friday night’s match drew 5,547 - so almost exactly half the number.

Hand on heart (ahem...) - I’m one of the 5,500 who have dropped off since that inaugural night.

I think the date was from the time the franchise was first announced or setup? Going by the Melbourne City/Heart thread on the Football Australia board the thread started on the 14th November 2009. So I'm guessing that it was announced around this time ten years ago that Melbourne Heart had won the bid.

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
Wonder if the takeover from the city group alienated some section of fans. Before the take over the club had a real identity to it. Since the takeover the logo, club guernsey and virtually everything else has been changed.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Wonder if the takeover from the city group alienated some section of fans. Before the take over the club had a real identity to it. Since the takeover the logo, club guernsey and virtually everything else has been changed.
I think their identity was “Not Victory”. They also started when their was a hell of a lot of buzz around the comp with Victory flying off ground and you either loved them or hated them. They would’ve died without City so it’s hard to blame them though I totally understand what you are saying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back