ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
And Port who actually played the following week?
OK I had a quick look at Port. Patmore, SPP, Farrel, Butler, Rozee, Duursma, plus some of the returning players from injury were eligable to start training last week,
Woodcock, Ladhams, Cox, Marshel, Hayes, Garner, Drew and Atley were not. add Frampton if you want.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
OK I had a quick look at Port. Patmore, SPP, Farrel, Butler, Rozee, Duursma, plus some of the returning players from injury were eligable to start training last week,
Woodcock, Ladhams, Cox, Marshel, Hayes, Garner, Drew and Atley were not. add Frampton if you want.
And yet they had training, 🤔

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
And yet they had training, 🤔
Check the Pear website, they had a training “Squad” of EIGHT. The seven 1-4 year players who missed the SANFL finals plus Tobin Cox. According to the PEAR website, “The 1-4th year players who played in the SANFL Grand Final are not due to commence training for another two weeks”.

Under the CBA our 1- 4th year players are not permitted to start training until this week.

So.....the advantage that the PEAR have over us is that Tobin Cox has ignored the CBA and has come back two weeks early. Put your money on Poort Pear to win the flag, Tobin Cox will have two extra week’s training!!!!

Jack Watts and Robbie Gray were also sighted running a few laps. Sloaney and Tex usually make an early appearance every year but may be too busy this year changing nappies.

The AFL has also mandated an extra week of annual leave over christmas (now three weeks). I confidently predict there will be an article soon on the PBs for the 2km time trial and “The Boys have never been fitter at this time of the year...”.

Last edited:
You do know we only had 1 player eliable to train, While Port had a small group of players, they had enough to get more than 10. including players returning from injury.

That shows you how bad our selection policy was. I hope the individuals responsible for Fog spending almost the entire year in the SANFL are all no longer at the club.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Check the Pear website, they had a training “Squad” of EIGHT. The seven 1-4 year players who missed the SANFL finals plus Tobin Cox. According to the PEAR website, “The 1-4th year players who played in the SANFL Grand Final are not due to commence training for another two weeks”.

Under the CBA our 1- 4th year players are not permitted to start training until this week.

So.....the advantage that the PEAR have over us is that Tobin Cox has ignored the CBA and has come back two weeks early. Put your money on Poort Pear to win the flag, Tobin Cox will have two extra week’s training!!!!

Jack Watts and Robbie Gray were also sighted running a few laps. Sloaney and Tex usually make an early appearance every year but may be too busy this year changing nappies.

The AFL has also mandated an extra week of annual leave over christmas (now three weeks). I confidently predict there will be an article soon on the PBs for the 2km time trial and “The Boys have never been fitter at this time of the year...”.
Gold. This thread is an absolute winner. We're clearly aching for something controversial to discuss.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Hang on, you are missing the point. Irrespective of who trained, they had a club arranged training session. They were organised. They finished the SANFL season after us and yet could still manage to get back on the track before us as did other clubs.

BACCS said he spotted a heap of our players after a training session they had amongst themselves. Now you might think we are in a superior position as a club that we don’t have to be a prepared as we could but I would have thought having a club run training session would have been more advantageous.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hang on, you are missing the point. Irrespective of who trained, they had a club arranged training session. They were organised. They finished the SANFL season after us and yet could still manage to get back on the track before us as did other clubs.

BACCS said he spotted a heap of our players after a training session they had amongst themselves. Now you might think we are in a superior position as a club that we don’t have to be a prepared as we could but I would have thought having a club run training session would have been more advantageous.
You can’t ignore who trained, that’s literally the entire reason why the Port players were at training! Why are you flogging a dead horse? Give up, posters have supplied you with the facts you were so desperate for but couldn’t look up yourself.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You can’t ignore who trained, that’s literally the entire reason why the Port players were at training! Why are you flogging a dead horse? Give up, posters have supplied you with the facts you were so desperate for but couldn’t look up yourself.
And yet there are two arguments, we didn’t have the players to train but look at the players who actually trained at Port, they were nobodies

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
And yet there are two arguments, we didn’t have the players to train but look at the players who actually trained at Port, they were nobodies
You know that I am usually on your side EC but your argument is indefensible.

Poort Pear had an organised training session for the SEVEN players who had completed their annual leave based on the CBA. In addition TOBY, the Tobster, The T-man COX joined in and Jack Watts and Wobby Gway were sighted running a few laps separate to the SQUAD OF EIGHT.

From our SANFL Final there were only two players on our squad who were not 1-4 year players, Andy Otten and Paul Hunters. The slack arses decided not to come back early :rolleyes:.

From our final AFL team the only 1-4 year players who didn’t play in the SANFL finals were NIL, ZIP and NADA.

Under the Players Association Rules there is literally ZERO players who were due back earlier than this week. Perhaps you could argue Tom Doedee since he took some time off during the season so we could have had a squad of ONE.

The only difference between the Crows players and the Pear players is that the Tobster wandered back early.

deeztreez

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
They're training in their small groups and a week isn't going to make a ton of difference. Nicks has already been working on getting to know the players which at this point is better served on an individual basis, rather than a large group IMO.

Could also argue given everything that has happened an extra week or so to get mentally prepared for a big off-season could help too.
Is it possible that players were required at the club longer for the review and their break was extended?

You know that I am usually on your side EC but your argument is indefensible.

Poort Pear had an organised training session for the SEVEN players who had completed their annual leave based on the CBA. In addition TOBY, the Tobster, The T-man COX joined in and Jack Watts and Wobby Gway were sighted running a few laps separate to the SQUAD OF EIGHT.

From our SANFL Final there were only two players on our squad who were not 1-4 year players, Andy Otten and Paul Hunters. The slack arses decided not to come back early :rolleyes:.

From our final AFL team the only 1-4 year players who didn’t play in the SANFL finals were NIL, ZIP and NADA.

Under the Players Association Rules there is literally ZERO players who were due back earlier than this week. Perhaps you could argue Tom Doedee since he took some time off during the season so we could have had a squad of ONE.

The only difference between the Crows players and the Pear players is that the Tobster wandered back early.

My guess earlier in the thread was correct then.

Our 1-3 year players start this week then?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think there are AFL regulations on when Preseason training can start, and depends on the years of experience. A lot of them would have been doing personal training before the preseason training actually starts anyway.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
It is not a great thing that all of our 1-4 year players qualified for the SANFL finals. All of our more experienced players who qualified for the SANFL finals have retired or been traded. Since our experienced players all finished training in late August they must also be close to returning.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Just looking at our contested stats, in raw numbers we were 6th in the league for contested possessions, which would be a quick indicator we were OK in that area, but we were then 10th in clearances, 15th in centre clearances, 8th in stoppage clearances and 9th in team/opponent average with a +1.7 contested disposal advantage.

So you could say we were average at best in terms of our contested work (and there were more than a few times we were absolutely awful) and I imagine that sort of thing is one area in which you could probably fix easier/quicker given the personal we have already. I imagine a part of that immediate improvement could come from just developing a two-way midfield that is capable of slowing/stopping the opposition if we don't win the clearance.
CEY and Greenwood were two of our best contest winners and are gone.

You would expect we will be worse this year unless something unexpected happens.

Back