Richmond Football Historical Queries. - Post your questions here

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
From what I’ve read on Wikipedia (see below)...

Rd 7 1968 v Essendon had a controversial finish that arguably cost us a finals spot (and a three-peat). Expanded details please.

I also believe the following round v Hawthorn had a controversial finish. Expanded details please.

From Wikipedia 1968 VFL Season notable events.
  • In Round 7, Essendon played Richmond at Windy Hill in a rain-sodden game that finished in such dark conditions that players could not see across the ground. In the last quarter, a goal was awarded to Geoff Gosper, although several Richmond players protested that the ball had hit the post. Essendon won the match by two points, 11.14 (80) to Richmond's 10.18 (78).
  • After the Round 8 match between Hawthorn and Richmond at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, the teams and many of the fans left the ground believing the game had been tied 11.15 (81) apiece. After the goal-umpires checked their scorecards, it was confirmed that the scoreboard was reading incorrectly, and that Richmond had, in fact, won by a point: 11.15 (81) to 11.14 (80).

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
What was the first Richmond senior's game you remember going to and what was the first one you remember barracking hard for the Tiges?
Hmm tough one. I remember being at the Richmond vs Brisbane Bears 1987 match, where the losing was to get the wooden spoon. Dad broadcast it and so I remember going down the rooms as he presented the wooden spoon to Tony Jewell (so my memory recalls). I barracked hard the night we beat reigning premiers Carlton at the MCG (the Peter Wilson cartwheel match)

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Hmm tough one. I remember being at the Richmond vs Brisbane Bears 1987 match, where the losing was to get the wooden spoon. Dad broadcast it and so I remember going down the rooms as he presented the wooden spoon to Tony Jewell (so my memory recalls). I barracked hard the night we beat reigning premiers Carlton at the MCG (the Peter Wilson cartwheel match)
I can tell a story, I used to sit with your nanna and pop and your Aunty, I was always directly behind your nanna and one particular game we were getting the rough end from Peter Cameron, and I might have got a little vocal

i had recently had some teeth knocked out by a boat winch and had a plate , which went flying out of my mouth.

your nanna caught them and turned around and calmly said I think these are yours mark

everyone cracked up

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Looks like the Board has approved the life memberships of Marlion Pickett, Tom Lynch, Liam Baker, Shai Bolton, Jayden Short and Ivan Soldo.
They will be presented with the award at the AGM.
The entire history and previous recipients of the Life Membership award can be found here

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
What was the background to our move to MCG. Was it a smooth smooth etc and who was behind it?
Or can you point to a good book that covers that era.
Thanks
Interesting tidbit was that in lead up to the shift to the mcg we were balls deep in luring Ron Barassi from Melbourne and pulled out late in negotiations coz it was thought that the MCC could derail our move given their links to the MFC at the time , nek minnit we appointed Tom Hafey

Here's a few :

Who was our last captain coach, and when?

There was a game in the early 90s where Matthew knights jumper got covered in blood and he had to switch to a clean one. I think it was number 47. Does this count as a jumper number worn by knights?

What is known about the "other" richmond football club, the one that was established in the 1860s.

Is it true richmond have a contract signed by Tony Lockett?

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi Rhett , love your stuff. Love your old man.....so much !!!
Can you tell what ever hjappened to
Michael Nugent , Phliip Bottams , Vin Foote Frank Bain JOn Einsedel and Adam Pearson ?
Gosh I rmeeber as kid thinking they would be all the next nig thing. Didnt matter , they were tigers to me.

Cheers Mick

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Michael Nugent , Phliip Bottams , Vin Foote Frank Bain JOn Einsedel and Adam Pearson ?
Gosh I rmeeber as kid thinking they would be all the next nig thing. Didnt matter , they were tigers to me.

Cheers Mick
Michael was Ted's brother, Bottams bottomed out, Foote kept his foot in the door, Bain was the Bane of the club, Einsedel designed Fords and Pearson, pissed off

sorry........I'll see myself out.

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Cheers Mick
Well lets see here's a few answers, Michael Nugent retired from Richmond due to injury and later went to De La Salle Footy Club

Phillip Bottams went to Williamstown , and then Camberwell

John Einsiedel went Caufield for many years, and then StKevins for several years

Adam Pearson and Vin Foote are still around, but not entirely sure of their life after Richmond. See what I can find.

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Who was our last captain coach, and when?
Jack Dyer 1949

There was a game in the early 90s where Matthew knights jumper got covered in blood and he had to switch to a clean one. I think it was number 47. Does this count as a jumper number worn by knights?
Knights wore No. 33, No. 29, and No. 54 during Rd 24, 1994. For my records I count them each as a jumper number for Knights.
I'm slowly building the history of Richmond Guernsey Numbers, but I'm only up to 1924 season atm.

What is known about the "other" richmond football club, the one that was established in the 1860s.
There were 5 'Richmond' clubs before the current one. Each are detailed at this link, click on it and then scroll all the way to the bottom.
www.tigerlandarchive.org

Is it true richmond have a contract signed by Tony Lockett?
I don't believe he ever officially signed

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting tidbit was that in lead up to the shift to the mcg we were balls deep in luring Ron Barassi from Melbourne and pulled out late in negotiations coz it was thought that the MCC could derail our move given their links to the MFC at the time , nek minnit we appointed Tom Hafey

That’s gold . Thank you

Back