News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
End result - 11 game Melbourne package, which is what I said. Absolutely marketing spin - total bullshit. But that is how they would have sold it. You all know my level of trust of the AFL is zero so I am sure every time the deal was renewed we would lose more. The lies they told Fitzroy folk should never be forgotten.
We have this now already though - except it is a 12 game Melbourne package for 2020 (ex Geelong).

So barring one extra game we are already at the level the AFL were talking about years ago - by stealth we are down to 12 'home' games that can be reasonably attended by Melbourne based supporters at the MCG and Marvel. The AFL has achieved its objective.

I feel that the AFL is now pushing some focus our way to move us to Tassie. By that, I mean to kill us off and have a Tassie Kangaroos team with some form of a blue & white jumper. If that is on they can GAGF'd. We fought them before and we can do it again. We just need to be careful that they don't sway our Board. A commercial focus is essential to have us financially secure because the AFL will want to weaken us in that area to make us vulnerable. So the appointment of the new CEO could be a good thing.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
I feel that the AFL is now pushing some focus our way to move us to Tassie. By that, I mean to kill us off and have a Tassie Kangaroos team with some form of a blue & white jumper. If that is on they can GAGF'd. We fought them before and we can do it again. We just need to be careful that they don't sway our Board. A commercial focus is essential to have us financially secure because the AFL will want to weaken us in that area to make us vulnerable. So the appointment of the new CEO could be a good thing.
When I suggested the forced connection with Tassie to get our AFLW team was a concern - a possible early warning sign - I got howled down with 'Why don't you just support our girls.' (I do!)

When I suggested the forced connection with Tassie to get our AFLW team was a concern - a possible early warning sign - I got howled down with 'Why don't you just support our girls.' (I do!)

Its a crisatunity

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM

The Tassie academy and AFLW split are two giant red flags.

I'm with you on that. Blind Freddy could see that the AFL was pushing the entire club southwards in its decision to split North's AFLW licence.

Ultimately I have reconciled the issue - or perhaps just comforted myself - with the knowledge that Tassie is almost as big a graveyard for professional sport as Gold Coast, and that there's every chance that the North/Tassie AFLW thing will fail, resulting in the licence becoming exclusively North Melbourne. I figure it's better to get the licence and see what the future holds, rather than not get it and see it go to an Essendon or something s**t like that.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm with you on that. Blind Freddy could see that the AFL was pushing the entire club southwards in its decision to split North's AFLW licence.

Ultimately I have reconciled the issue - or perhaps just comforted myself - with the knowledge that Tassie is almost as big a graveyard for professional sport as Gold Coast, and that there's every chance that the North/Tassie AFLW thing will fail, resulting in the licence becoming exclusively North Melbourne. I figure it's better to get the licence and see what the future holds, rather than not get it and see it go to an Essendon or something s**t like that.

There might well be merit in calling the AFL's bluff. Publicly state that we have zero intention of becoming a full (or half!) time Tassie team, and turn the tables on them by putting pressure on them to clarify their thoughts on Tasmania having their own team. s**t or get off the pot.

EDIT: This will they or won't they, maybe we'll try and push a team down there half a year (but won't just come out and ******* say it publicly), Tasmania s**t is insufferable. Be clear with your god damned intentions so that all the stakeholders can make long term plans. God AFL house are insufferable campaigners.

There might well be merit in calling the AFL's bluff. Publicly state that we have zero intention of becoming a full (or half!) time Tassie team, and turn the tables on them by putting pressure on them to clarify their thoughts on Tasmania having their own team. s**t or get off the pot.

EDIT: This will they or won't they, maybe we'll try and push a team down there half a year (but won't just come out and ******* say it publicly), Tasmania s**t is insufferable. Be clear with your god damned intentions so that all the stakeholders can make long term plans. God AFL house are insufferable campaigners.

Whether the AFL does or doesn't clarify it's position publicly, I 100% agree with you about making it known that we're not going anywhere.

The men's teams aren't in a similar position to the women's - we've existed for over 100 years and ain't going anywhere unless we agree. Seems logical to be telling the AFL that if they want more games in Tassie, they can put a new club in there.

I certainly don't care about losing the revenue streams from Tassie - not now. The club has proved over the last decade just how financially prudent it can be, and clearly makes its dollar stretch further than any other club. Reducing our debt has been a real boon in terms of getting our off field practices sorted out (something something on field not so much but hope springs eternal). books

1hr.58m.30 seconds in - Discussion re North on ABC Tasmania radio.

P.S. please remove all objects from your sight

I understand that at the time AFL headquarters told North not to allow this (constitution to require a member vote to allow relocation to happen).
JB effectively shut the conversation down but even so we got 58% support.

I understand that at the time AFL headquarters told North not to allow this (constitution to require a member vote to allow relocation to happen).
JB effectively shut the conversation down but even so we got 58% support.
We ran a good race Limerick but will always be vulnerable without it. Still hurts that we didn't get the numbers.

Im going to ******* stab something

TurnoverMerchant

Vanilla Campaigner
Jul 11, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Jesus ******* Christ! The Tasmanians I just heard on that podcast are ******* selfish. No consideration for the Melbourne-based supporters who actually care about the club. If we ever become a Tasmanian team, I will stop supporting AFL as a whole and so will many others. The "rebranded" team's membership numbers will be Gold Coast-like!

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ve always thought regardless of whether the constitution requires member vote or not if the afl want us to move they will make it happen, and looking at the requirement to co locate the AFLW, the extra game in tas, the commercially rubbish time slots this season (only on FTA 5 times this year, funny we cop our most commercially disastrous fixture for the year we need to make payouts in) and the publishing and apparent endorsement of Damos dribble (has any other club, even St Kilda, St ******* kilda copped anything anywhere near as incendiary).

This s**t kills attendances, memberships and corporate sponsorships. The AFL know it, and eventually the fight from the club and its fans won’t be enough

They’ve had their workhorse to payout marvel now we aren’t useful.

This is gonna get bad relatively quickly

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The membership response before and after Dallas Brooks Hall is a clear sign of what would happen to NMFC membership numbers if they ever attempted to co-locate or relocate.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Labelling the damo article an existential crisis is a bit much

But also
"Take the roos to Tassie, change the name and colours and I'll support them"

F**k outta here m8

Why does this s**t get bandied about year after year when the sports pages go a bit quiet?

AFL-Money-2018 (1).png

Hmmmmmmm

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

I don’t plan on listening to that. Any salient points or is it just a bunch of locals being locals?

There are microbes clustered around hydrothermal vents in the Mariana Trench who have more informed views about AFL football.

Back