Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Luke Jackson could be donning the sash in 3 weeks time with an xtra 1st rd'er in your back pocket next year. Instead, Joe will be soon draggin his luggage and his bottom lip back thru Tulla airport.

Next years first could blow out massively given how many academy players are likely to be picked next year. Sydney also can’t have rated pick 9 too highly if they were only prepared to accept it if they could have on traded it.

Next years first could blow out massively given how many academy players are likely to be picked next year. Sydney also can’t have rated pick 9 too highly if they were only prepared to accept it if they could have on traded it.

Or Sydney rated having Papley on the list in 2020 as a better option than Pick 9\Undeveloped kid in this years draft

No different to Essendon preferring Daniher?

None at all
Almost identical circumstance, you didn't want to give up a developed player for a 'potential' player
Good on you for holding him to his contract

You’re hardly making a compelling offer when you yourself don’t want the pick.

I also value Papleys 20202 contribution as greater than the immediate potential of any player at Pick 9

Again, good to see a player held to his contract

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
No different to Essendon preferring Daniher?

You’re hardly making a compelling offer when you yourself don’t want the pick.

difference is essendon take the risk of getting less for him at the end of his contract than is they'd sold now. hard to say if you'll regret it till this time next year.

sydney have at least 1 and probably 3 seasons to play with.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
difference is essendon take the risk of getting less for him at the end of his contract than is they'd sold now. hard to say if you'll regret it till this time next year.

sydney have at least 1 and probably 3 seasons to play with.
we can still match next year and work with more "knowns" about the 2020 draft...plus 2021 comes into play.
And there is the chance he can change his mind in 2020.
And there are replacement options available next year (Cameron for example).

Plus we don't spend 2020 with a tall forward line of McKernan & Stewart only.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
we can still match next year and work with more "knowns" about the 2020 draft...plus 2021 comes into play.
And there is the chance he can change his mind in 2020.
And there are replacement options available next year (Cameron for example).

Plus we don't spend 2020 with a tall forward line of McKernan & Stewart only.

I must admit, i wanted the trade to happen for at least 3 reasons.

1) Joe to get his smile back as he is one of my favorite players to watch when he's bouncin'

2) I wanted Papley at the Blues

3) McKernan, Brown and Stewart donning the sash together up forward.

Alas.

But the flipside is Joe and Papley are fairly likely to be done next year, and Dodoro still has no great prospects of rectifying the glaring holes in his side of flankers.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I must admit, i wanted the trade to happen for at least 3 reasons.

1) Joe to get his smile back as he is one of my favorite players to watch when he's bouncin'

2) I wanted Papley at the Blues

3) Flippers McKernan, ChestMark Brown and Stewart donning the sash together up forward.

Alas.

But the flipside is Joe and Papley are fairly likely to be done next year, and TheGreatAdrian still has no great prospects of rectifying the glaring holes in his side of flankers.
if we only roll out with 1/6 of a VFL fwd line next year, i'll be stoked...and admittedly, McKernan had some moments last year that may mean it's clicked. Also his first full preseason i believe.

Joey and Smack as the talls.
Stringer and Langford as the mediums
Raz and Walla as the smalls

I like that fwd line. 22+ games out of it please.

Also, it isn't his side. Rutten and Caracella take over in 2020.
Ball movement, defensive pressure and a fit list - #17 is on!!! (j/k, we'll finish bottom 8 next year)

Best part of 3 seasons lost.
Adrian really should have accepted Sydney’s offer as compensation at the end of the year could be peanuts ...

It must have been a hard decision, but right now it looks like a very poor decision.

Essendon could have walked away with Stephens & Kemp / Young & Flanders etc. and had them one year wiser come next year....but no.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m still happy we kept him. It’s more than just about what we could have got (Which wasn’t much on the table anyway). I’d prefer to have a spot on the list used for a 25 year old Joe Daniher. It’s one spot, and the potential upside is greater.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I’m still happy we kept him. It’s more than just about what we could have got (Which wasn’t much on the table anyway). I’d prefer to have a spot on the list used for a 25 year old Joe Daniher. It’s one spot, and the potential upside is greater.

Well he is leaving at the end of 2020 any way so ?

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Didn't he sign 3 year 2 million dollar deal in 2017? You haven't had a very good return on investment and a massive chance to get less that what you were offered for him last year.

Back