List Mgmt. Ben Amarfio - has resigned as our CEO - Thank you Ben

I am not an expert in Indian culture as such, but I do know enough Indian people very well to suggest that footy would not take off in any serious way, and won't generate any interest over there. Even soccer, which has been there for a century hasn't taken ANY foothold, and Cricket will always be the only sport Indians really care about. I think any potential game over there will prove to be a waste of time.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I am not an expert in Indian culture as such, but I do know enough Indian people very well to suggest that footy would not take off in any serious way, and won't generate any interest over there. Even soccer, which has been there for a century hasn't taken ANY foothold, and Cricket will always be the only sport Indians really care about. I think any potential game over there will prove to be a waste of time.

I'd be more optimistic. So many will have family and friends in Australia and if you partner with enough celebrity there to give it some profile you never know.

Not saying they'll be the next Ireland for player production but even Aegis was or ended up in Indian hands. There are plenty of commercial opportunities in the Australia-India exchange.

But you don't need to play matches in India or add orange to the jumper to achieve that.
The orange would certainly help with the kids. They're parents are thrusting cricket down their throats 12 months a year (which I see in my sons cricket team) but at school other kids are talking footy. If they want to identify with a team the blue and orange will be very attractive to them.

A game in India is a good way to promote the game to Indians living in Australia as it will start the conversation with friends and relatives back home.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I wonder how many North Melbourne supporters would be willing to buy a membership of the Mumbai Hockey Club because Sachin Tendulkar.

Suggesting Indians will support Australian Rules football and specifically NMFC because Ricky Ponting is... I dunno... kind of racist. Or maybe not racist, but just pig ignorant and stupid.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I wonder how many North Melbourne supporters would be willing to buy a membership of the Mumbai Hockey Club because Sachin Tendulkar.

Suggesting Indians will support Australian Rules football and specifically NMFC because Ricky Ponting is... I dunno... kind of racist. Or maybe not racist, but just pig ignorant and stupid.

Yes that's exactly what everyone is claiming.

#strawman

So has Ben been interviewed by the media yet? Or are the media going to steer clear because he will probably only have positive things to say about North?

Question from generic AFL reporter: Q. Ben you are taking over as CEO of a club with minimal debt, that has modern facilities with a team that just had 4 rising star nominations led by a promising young coach.... err, oh wait up...(remembers to push preferred agenda so goes into full Barrett mode before asking another question)

I think you would find that Aussies living in India would enjoy following a local cricket or hockey team

The point here is that with so many Indians living here that don’t appear to have been highly engaged with the AFL that there is an opportunity to get them onboard.

Also - Marketing works! Ponting making appearances at family days would be a big draw for some.

Football clubs can also be like a family and living overseas can be lonely so being a part of something is important.

Anyhow - nobody is being racist ffs.

No it isn't.

Cricket is huge in India, Ponting is a legend and if it was subtle it would generate gossip. Aaron Hall is of Indian descent isn't he? Indians in melbourne would get it.

North Melbourne supporting hockey players might get into the Mumbai hockey club if Satchin came over here and watched north games with Ponting while wearing both jumpers...

I really should read the whole thread before posting.

View attachment 777661

This is Queen Elizabeth Oval in Bendigo. I don't know what the biggest footy ground is shepparton is, but I imagine it's of similar dimensions.

Make this happen, Ben.
Alternatively get in Western United's ear and see if they're interested in us jumping on board their brand new stadium in Tarneit - which just so happens to be in our NGA zone.

Honestly mate you’ve basically completed the research for the club’s admin in terms of getting out of Tasmania.
Hobart didn’t have AFL footy before 2012 and they can survive without it.
The big clubs don’t play there so the locals don’t miss out.

Bendigo is growing rapidly as a regional hub, to the point you can now fly in from Sydney and out of the area without venturing to Melbourne.

I would 100% expect the club to consider this option going forward as they would make more off the gate and corporate sales at a ground where we don’t have to share the revenue.

Not to mention the amount of new doctors, nurses, physios, migrants that need to reside there - plus the Melbourne and nearby regional visitors it’s a ******* no brainer.

Ballarat is west of Melbourne so the Western Bulldogs playing there lines up with their image.

Bendigo is the largest regional town North of Melbourne and its only 90 minutes.
******* make it happen

Was in Bendigo this week for a funeral. Lots of relos live there and all North folk. Not sure how we would go playing games out of there. They have had VFL and preseason games and they were ok in terms of attendance but regular AFL games? Hmmmm, maybe. Its a great town, excellent weather (central Vic), easy to get to from Melbourne. Ticks a lot of boxes. Might just be worth a very serious look.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
First day today. I wonder what his first order of business will be, eggs Benedict? A full English breakfast? Vegemite on toast? Or a simple Swiss Bircher muesli. Anyway all the best Ben, hope we win many flags with you at the helm.

I just hope the coffee cart is open and on point. There could be hell to pay otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back