Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a senior coach who actually worked in recruiting maybe a real benefit.
Probably, but I do prefer the separation of powers.
  • Coach having input regarding the game plan and what types we need to be looking at
  • recruiting staff developing a draft profile that responds to those requirements and the picks we are likely to have
  • Friday arvo get together for a beer with a bunch of staff members and do an intra-club mock draft
  • last minute check with Chris25 and his thread.
  • delete anyone Hagdorn has spruiked
  • prepare Press Release saying we went best available and rated him much higher, and think we got ourselves a 200 gamer (leave name blank for later)
  • fly to Melbourne fully equipped for the real thing

Plz someone
Fremantle are considering a series of shrewd pick trading strategies to help protect them from an early opposition raid on academy product Liam Henry at this month’s national draft.
The Weekend West can reveal that the Dockers, who currently have picks seven and 10, are contemplating dropping down the first round rather than solely pursuing pick-swap deals to edge them higher.
They could even use another club to help “hide” a prime pick during the draft so they would not have to use it when matching a bid for Henry.
It would echo the cheeky twopart deal pioneered by Sydney, with help from West Coast, last year when the Swans made a pick temporarily disappear so they did not have to use it to match a bid for academy player Nick Blakey.
The scenarios are part of a complex strategic battle between the 18 clubs, with the once simple draft process evolving into a chess game that takes place over a month due to the introduction of pick swapping and live pick trading.
Fremantle football manager Peter Bell predicted the ultimate first-round order for the national draft on November 27 and 28 would change significantly from the present one.
“There’s a lot of different options,” he said. “We’ll look at coming up and we’ll look at maybe even dropping back if the opportunity arises.
“We’re in constant dialogue, all the clubs are, and most of the time you can manufacture outcomes that can result in win-wins for both clubs just depending on your needs.”
Bell confirmed planning for “every outcome” regarding a bid for Henry had formed a central part of Fremantle’s national draft preparation.
The Dockers could get a series of in-principle deals organised with clubs before the draft, depending on when the bid comes, and wait until it comes to trigger the required deal.
The AFL has confirmed clubs can pick swap even after a bid drops, using their allotted five minutes to complete a deal.
As a member of their Next Generation Academy, the Dockers do not have to select Henry themselves but rather wait for an opposition club to pick him.
Fremantle then have the option of letting him go or matching the bid, using draft value index points from their next available selection.
The Dockers are considered all but certain to match any bid for the gifted forward. If Fremantle anticipate a bid for Henry ahead of their pick 10, they could be better off splitting that pick for multiple later selections . Swans list boss Kinnear Beatson described their groundbreaking pick hiding deal last year as “creative thinking” and denied they had rorted the system after receiving the green light from the AFL.
Bell said Sydney’s strategy was “very clever” .
“The data analysts and these types of guys, there’s some really clever people out there and all the clubs have people who are constantly looking at the opportunities to do different things,” he said.
West Coast used a recruiter from NBA basketball team, the Philadelphia 76ers, to help them prepare their tactical approach for last year’s national draft.

There is currently a Worst article describing comments by Brendan Goddard not rating our defensive line even though it contains Alex Pearce, Joel Hamling, and Liam Ryan:drunk:

There is currently a Worst article by Brendan Goddard not rating out defensive line even though it contains Alex Pearce, Joel Hamling, and Liam Ryan:drunk:

Ummmmm......

17: FREMANTLE
Goddard says:
On paper, the Dockers’ defensive group doesn’t look too bad but they are coming off an injury-riddled 2019 season and there are some holes. Pearce, Ryan, Wilson and Hamling are all solid players, but Fremantle appears to lack the quality ball users off halfback. Hopefully Collingwood recruit Aish can help in that area.

I'll have whatever Goddard's on. ffs Melbourne had nearly 300 more points scored against, St Kilda 250 just as 2 examples of clubs he ranked above us

Oh, it was in the article? I thought that was a mistake on your part.
In the article, although I think it might have been added in by someone at the West
Joel Hamling, Liam Ryan and a fit-again Alex Pearce form a nice nucleus down back for the Dockers.
So why is Brendon Goddard worried about Fremantle leaking points in 2020?
The former AFL star turned analyst rates the league’s defensive units from best to worst, and while it’s good news for West Coast, Goddard has just one team worse off than Justin Longmuir’s Dockers when it comes to defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't seen the article but we do seem to leak easy goals at times. Watching on tv it looks like poor set-ups. Would like to know what people who go to the games think.Certainly get a better overall perspective watching live.

Has Goddard ever got anything right?

This year up until the point Alex Pearce got injured:
  • Our defence was the 2nd best in the AFL (conceded second least points against)
  • Ryan and Hamling were in the top 4 AFL players for intercepts
  • Pearce and Ryan were both deservedly in the AA conversation
  • All of that despite Wilson being mostly a liability this year
Heading into 2020:
  • Our oldest defender is just 26 years old
  • Pearce is the only defender coming out of rehab (and is already back at training before he needs to be)
  • Wilson is likely to bounce back to his attacking best
  • Hughes was solid in 2019 but could become more damaging with a new game style
  • Logue, Carter and Watson should all take another step with their development
If we keep our players (mainly Pearce) on the park and our midfield/forward line keep the pressure on our defence has plenty of capacity to improve. JLo is also an excellent back line coach. As per usual Goddard's analysis makes no sense.

As per usual Goddard's analysis makes no sense.
It makes sense if you imagine he just wrote all his notes doing no research and not having watched any of the saturday or sunday games that were only on fox. Got to the end and decided it was easier to stick the teams in he had missed in at the bottom in order to avoid doing any actual work.

I mean we finished 9th ranked for defense; His analysis "Yeah they're good. And they're getting players back. But they'll be bad because, umm, I say so". He should pay someone to contribute the ideas as well as write it up, it'd be less embarrassing.

Surely we should have some concerns about leaving forwards alone in dangerous positions in our defensive area. We did it over and over again and conceded horrible goals because of it. I really hope Justin steps in a bit because our set-ups looked awful at times...as they did further up the ground

17: FREMANTLE
Goddard says:
On paper, the Dockers’ defensive group doesn’t look too bad but they are coming off an injury-riddled 2019 season and there are some holes. Pearce, Ryan, Wilson and Hamling are all solid players, but Fremantle appears to lack the quality ball users off halfback. Hopefully Collingwood recruit Aish can help in that area.

I'll have whatever Goddard's on. ffs Melbourne had nearly 300 more points scored against, St Kilda 250 just as 2 examples of clubs he ranked above us
Luke Ryan is going to be criminally underrated in Vic his entire career. Unless he asks for a trade and he's giong to all of a sudden be discovered as this phenomenal running defender.

Luke Ryan is going to be criminally underrated in Vic his entire career. Unless he asks for a trade and he's giong to all of a sudden be discovered as this phenomenal running defender.

And the narrative would be all about him 'taking his game to another level' despite him playing the same as always.

Speaking of no idea. I caught Suma on PR this morning doing Hackdorns spot obviously keeping up the low standard.

He was saying Luke Ryan was a free agent next year. He got questioned on it and said how long is free agency he said 8 years. But he’s only 23? He said maybe it’s 6 years.

But he didn’t even consider he was a mature ager and only been with us for 3 years. He obviously had a quick look at the AFL article which had him out of contract and passed it off as his own research 😂.

Ryan is definitely a major priority but I felt relieved PRs standards haven’t improved since I haven’t been listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back