Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the reason people react that way is because of what we were rumoured to be paying him. Not sure of if anyone actually knows to be honest.

its because he is largely useless

i wish our players defended with as much effort as people on here defend reid, would win the flag

Sam Reid is a Premiership key forward.

For the Bloods.

That puts him alongside Pratt, Nash, and Barry Hall.

His critics on here are people sitting at keyboards.

Fair criticism is fair. But applying a label like “garbage” is just ignorance.
I agree wholeheartedly Bruce

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

do we share the scg in 2020?

Yes. With all fixtures now out for the 3 codes, the impact is much less than last year. There is only one League or Union match the same weekend as a Swans match and even then we play the Friday Night before the League plays on the Saturday. So backing up onto a ground that has been chopped up by Rugby in the 2 days before. We will always have at least 5 days gap between uses before our matches.

Seems as if the SCG Trust has listened to our complaints and worked with the AFL and NRL to work our matches around so they are on different weekends. Union have moved more games away from the SCG and even their games don't clash like they did last year.

Last edited:
its because he is largely useless

i wish our players defended with as much effort as people on here defend reid, would win the flag
We don’t defend Reid as being Carey. We defend him as being not “garbage” or “largely useless”.
He’s a good forward. What he lacks in “Carey greatness” he makes up for in good solid team play.
He’s a key reason why, even though Hayward has the yips, we were one of the most efficient forward lines this year.

Ranked 32 out of 655 players for most goals kicked in 2019. Top 5%.

If Reid is a garbage player then the majority of the players in the league are garbage players
Im guessing theres at least 4 forwards on each team that spend as much time up forward as Reid
Thats 72 players. Reid finished better than average - not bad.. with less inside 50's - not bad at all

Im guessing theres at least 4 forwards on each team that spend as much time up forward as Reid
Thats 72 players. Reid finished better than average - not bad.. with less inside 50's - not bad at all
He also had more than double the hit outs of the closest player to him on that stat among the top 32 goal kickers. Actually, the other 31 combined had 177 hit outs for the year, Reid had 126 by himself. Ranked 33rd in the league for hitouts alongside that 32nd for goal kickers.

Garbage. Useless.

Last edited:
Can the brains trust being swans51 please indicate how much time reid spent playing as a forward as against ruck, wing and defense each year.

We don’t defend Reid as being Carey. We defend him as being not “garbage” or “largely useless”.
He’s a good forward. What he lacks in “Carey greatness” he makes up for in good solid team play.
He’s a key reason why, even though Hayward has the yips, we were one of the most efficient forward lines this year.
Reid is a very good footballer plays forward, back, in the ruck,leads up to offer a marking option on the wing. Now that is a versatile player that most clubs would love to have.

Reid is a very good footballer plays forward, back, in the ruck,leads up to offer a marking option on the wing. Now that is a versatile player that most clubs would love to have.
Just to play devil's advocate for a second (not a Reid hater at all btw) I think the issue people have with him is that he goes missing in big games and isn't an out and out superstar doing any of those things. He isn't going to kick 60+ in a season, he isn't going to be an AA FB, he isn't going to win 40+ hitouts etc etc and that is what I think people find frustrating.

Yes. With all fixtures now out for the 3 codes, the impact is much less than last year. There is only one League or Union match the same weekend as a Swans match and even then we play the Friday Night before the League plays on the Saturday. So backing up onto a ground that has been chopped up by Rugby in the 2 days before. We will always have at least 5 days gap between uses before our matches.

Seems as if the SCG Trust has listened to our complaints and worked with the AFL and NRL to work our matches around so they are on different weekends. Union have moved more games away from the SCG and even their games don't clash like they did last year.

That's great news.

Just to play devil's advocate for a second (not a Reid hater at all btw) I think the issue people have with him is that he goes missing in big games and isn't an out and out superstar doing any of those things. He isn't going to kick 60+ in a season, he isn't going to be an AA FB, he isn't going to win 40+ hitouts etc etc and that is what I think people find frustrating.

If someone not being a superstar is what frustrated football fans there'd be very few left, because there are very few superstars actually in the game.

What frustrates me is dropping easy, uncontested chest marks, missing goals that are very gettable, getting pushed out of contests way too easily. Every. Single. Week.

That makes him rubbish IMO (since that term is acceptable by this board's standards, as opposed to another word that means the exact same thing but was considered mortifying.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back