No Senior Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

"Opted "

Lol

We went to the market too late for 2020.

Next year is a write.off anyway. A year to reset a d let the players enjoy the game and play a simpler brand of Footy. W/L irrelevant. Get game time into the kids.

A fresh approach may even be successful.

Load up for 2021 with a more structured approach.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not unsurprising, and hopefully, we're able to use this carrot (+ money) to attract someone decent next year.

We probably won't though.

Still, though no senior assistant is better than Scott Camporeale.

So not only was Campo the problem, but he also wasn't even necessary?

No way Nicks "opted" out of a gun senior assistant, he may have opted out of what we could get.

My fear would be we selected Nicks because he seemed like the most prepared because he had the least requirements, because if that was the case perhaps he wasn't prepared at all. We'll see.

This might not be overly important next year as I don't believe results should be the goal but let's not pretend it's the best outcome, this is not a big club move, a big club does this all 18 months ago or at least at the mid-season break.

I'd like to believe we'll use the next 12 months (less than that now) poaching the right, proven, people for 2 or 3 roles, but let's be honest, the more likely scenario based on history is that Godden becomes senior assistant, Hart moves on and we bring in a couple of untried assistants.

So not only was Campo the problem, but he also wasn't even necessary?

No way Nicks "opted" out of a gun senior assistant, he may have opted out of what we could get.

My fear would be we selected Nicks because he seemed like the most prepared because he had the least requirements, because if that was the case perhaps he wasn't prepared at all. We'll see.

This might not be overly important next year as I don't believe results should be the goal but let's not pretend it's the best outcome, this is not a big club move, a big club does this all 18 months ago or at least at the mid-season break.

I'd like to believe we'll use the next 12 months (less than that now) poaching the right, proven, people for 2 or 3 roles, but let's be honest, the more likely scenario based on history is that Godden becomes senior assistant, Hart moves on and we bring in a couple of untried assistants.
He wasnt necessary. The midfield coach is the Senior Assistant. If we wanted a Strategy coach then call them that not a senior assistant. Dont think Campo was the best as a Strategy Coach anyway.

As I said on another thread, a giod decision

The Senior Asst role is an extra layer that is not needed within a coaching structure and adds more risk than value IMO

Sign me up to a coaching structure anyday that:

1. Removes the layer between head coach and assistants

2. Promotes a simplier and clearer 2 way communication pathway between senior coach, assistants and players

3. Drives greater line accountability

The senior asst role has become a bit of a all care on no responsibility role within the AFL, personally I am stoked that Nicks has made this decision

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They better get one for 2021 but I have my doubts.

So basically it’s Pyke and Campo out, Nicks in.

Nicks must be a bloody good first time coach!

Shows you how useless Campo was when his replacement is literally nothing.

We're still paying him to do nothing.

He just can't do any more damage now. Ditto Pyke and Burton.

My last employer was literally paying people they didn't like or want (but didn't want to pay out) to walk around with brooms and tidy up. Sounds like a good idea for Hart and Reid.

As I said on another thread, a giod decision

The Senior Asst role is an extra layer that is not needed within a coaching structure and adds more risk than value IMO

Sign me up to a coaching structure anyday that:

1. Removes the layer between head coach and assistants

2. Promotes a simplier and clearer 2 way communication pathway between senior coach, assistants and players

3. Drives greater line accountability

The senior asst role has become a bit of a all care on no responsibility role within the AFL, personally I am stoked that Nicks has made this decision

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree completely. I like the option of a Senior Assistant if they’re actually going to offer value.

I’d be more annoyed with them signing some pleb up to be our Senior Assistant (or promoting one of the current assistants).

This places more responsibility on Nicks and the line coaches to get it done. Also puts Nicks in closer contact with the players for his first 12 months. Spend next season looking at the market to build out the coaches box with more experience/broader skill set.

Not like a senior asst was going to be the difference next year anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WOW lot of angst about no senior assitant coach,
I was under the impression Nicks was looking more at an extra Development coach,

We do understand that Nicks has mention he was leaning towards a development coach for the younger player over a senior coach yet we are finding fault. when the Crows mention it.
Has anyone had a good look at which clubs are running with senior assitance coaches.

WOW lot of angst about no senior assitant coach,
I was under the impression Nicks was looking more at an extra Development coach,

We do understand that Nicks has mention he was leaning towards a development coach for the younger player over a senior coach yet we are finding fault. when the Crows mention it.
Has anyone had a good look at which clubs are running with senior assitance coaches.
....there isn't really much angst in this thread atm. I'm seeing more people for this than against.

This is what we meant by sham review. They didn't want the review. They held it far too late. And they were shocked that it found what we all knew and actually had to go looking for replacements when there was nothing left on the shelf.

Typical Chapman Crows.

Even down to the spin.

Shhh. Let them gnash their teeth and wring their hands... it’s what they do.
You’d think after defending the club for this long and being wrong every single time that you would have learned to pull your head in by now.

A senior assistant is about injecting some experience. Entirely appropriate given how green the coaching group is. On paper it looks bog average. A far cry from the best in the land we were promised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back