Coaching Staff Assistant Coaches 2019-20

**PINNED POST**

2020 Coaching Structure
Senior coach
John Worsfold (thread)
Senior assistant coach and team defenceBen Rutten (thread)
Assistant coach – midfield and attack Blake Caracella
Assistant coach – forwardsDan Jordan
Assistant coach – backline James Kelly
Assistant coach – stoppages Mark Harvey
Development coach and VFL head coachMark Corrigan
Development coach and VFL backline coachLeigh Tudor
Development coach and VFL midfield coachCam Roberts

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan Jordan (VFL coach) appointed to the forward line role vacated by Skippy.

Good to hear he has extensive knowledge of the Bombers game-plan and will "glide in to the role"...

Everyone's transitioning so well. It's fascinating to watch it all come together.
I assume this post contains a healthy dose of cynicism but it's a little hard to tell in writing. :thumbsu:

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I assume this post contains a healthy dose of cynicism but it's a little hard to tell in writing. :thumbsu:
It does. I am on the record early on criticising the transition year (among other things that don't sit too well). Because of that bias I am aware I need to temper criticism of this type of event at the club (and that I have no idea what's going on internally), but I feel calling out club marketing spin crap like this is sits within ok boundaries.

I would add that despite not having any ITK insight into the club, if the saying 'where there's smoke there's fire' stands true then there's a solid blaze developing down at Essendon.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It does. I am on the record early on criticising the transition year (among other things that don't sit too well). Because of that bias I am aware I need to temper criticism of this type of event at the club (and that I have no idea what's going on internally), but I feel calling out club marketing spin crap like this is sits within ok boundaries.

I would add that despite not having any ITK insight into the club, if the saying 'where there's smoke there's fire' stands true then there's a solid blaze developing down at Essendon.

What if it’s a situation where people who weren’t good citizens to take ha forward are the ones going out the door?

Perhaps it’s less smoke and more a cleaning house of mediocrity?

Getting a weird vibe from the club this past few months.
This next year is going to be very interesting. Feels a little like a house of cards atm.
Can see why some feel this way but quite a few young players re-signed though, Redman, Francis, Parish, Tippa which seems to indicate not all bad.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
What if it’s a situation where people who weren’t good citizens to take ha forward are the ones going out the door?

Perhaps it’s less smoke and more a cleaning house of mediocrity?
If you need to make changes then make changes i.e "thanks Skippy, we are heading in a different direction" - Day one of pre-season resignations does not scream proactive changes.

Once again the club is selling us a reactive solution like it's a wonderful outcome.

What "game-plan" does Dan know so well? Last year's Woosha game-plan (or is this still the game plan till 2021)? This year's new game-plan where new coaches are just arriving?

Who else that's looked to leave, wanted to leave or is leaving represents cleaning house? Joe Daniher? XC? Fantasia? Who?

Seems to be a little from column A and a little from column B. House of cards is an apt description.

If you need to make changes then make changes i.e "thanks Skippy, we are heading in a different direction" - Day one of pre-season resignations does not scream proactive changes.

Once again the club is selling us a reactive solution like it's a wonderful outcome.

What "game-plan" does Dan know so well? Last year's Woosha game-plan (or is this still the game plan till 2021)? This year's new game-plan where new coaches are just arriving?

Who else that's looked to leave, wanted to leave or is leaving represents cleaning house? Joe Daniher? XC? Fantasia? Who?
Crow, Corrigan, Harding all out the door at the clubs initiative. The succession plan looks club initiated as well, whatever on earth that results in Worsfold wise seems yet to be determined but Rutten is definitely being promoted. Bringing in Caracella isn’t exactly a disappointing decision either.

Feels like we put in a succession plan and replaced Harding but in the process Skipworth realised he didn’t have a promotion coming his way at Essendon and took the next decent offer he got to keep building his career. And just like dominoes some have fallen one way and some the other ever since. The question is, does he take players with him? Do we care if he does?

As far as smoke you can even go back to Neeld being sacked, leadership group woes...

Dan Jordan was an excellent VFL coach. If we had him 15/16 we may have been talking VFL flags.

I'm guessing Ricky Dyson gets the promotion to VFL coach because he seemed to be the most vocal of the assistants and we'll get a new VFL back line coach.

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Dan Jordan was an excellent VFL coach. If we had him 15/16 we may have been talking VFL flags.

I'm guessing Ricky Dyson gets the promotion to VFL coach because he seemed to be the most vocal of the assistants and we'll get a new VFL back line coach.
Wait what. Ricky Dyson is a VFL coach!?!
I did a double take, and then a third

The VFL side played more to the team game plan than the senior side did a lot of the time. The young blokes really played for each other and the team.
People keep questioning the "Woosha " game plan but if you go back through his comments it has always been about a team defence style. In games where we have been really bad the team defence has fallen over. This includes forward pressure. It is not like they do not want pressure in the forward half.
It is a myth that we just want to attack from half back. The issue has been poor team defence from the midfield and the forwards allowing the footy to escape the forward half too easily.

Agree. Very strong appointment.

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Getting a weird vibe from the club this past few months.
This next year is going to be very interesting. Feels a little like a house of cards atm.
We’ve been accepting of mediocrity and too nice for too long. I’m hoping the unrest is because some have their nose bent out of shape because that is changing. Hopefully.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
People keep questioning the "Woosha " game plan but if you go back through his comments it has always been about a team defence style. In games where we have been really bad the team defence has fallen over. This includes forward pressure. It is not like they do not want pressure in the forward half.
Actions>Words

We’ve been accepting of mediocrity and too nice for too long. I’m hoping the unrest is because some have their nose bent out of shape because that is changing. Hopefully.

Yes that's what I'd like to think too.
What I don't like is the kind of messy PR of everything is fine while we do it. Maybe it's the spin I'm not liking? It's just a sense, I don't have any exact concrete feelings like I hate it or I'm mad at it all, it's just an unease is the best way I can put it.

If we have senior players who are crying and whinging and starting to get restless I like it because the youth were what turned this club around on a number of occasions the past two years. They seem proactive they seem hungry. I don't mind it.

But there is an odd feeling coming out at the moment of the club aside from all that. Blindsided by Daniher, CEO tapped and will probably be gone at some stage. Senior coach in transition, assistant coach leaves day 1 of pre season. The fantasia stuff. Just fills a little spot fiery whilst we are trying to develop and change a culture.

Kind of feels like the pieces are there we needoff and on the field but we may be in for a bit of a collapse before they are put in the right place.

Back