List Mgmt. Delisted Free Agents - who should we be targeting?

Who should we target as a DFA?

• Josh Walker

Votes: 28 16.4%
  • Matthew Lobbe

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Harley Bennell

Votes: 91 53.2%
  • Wylie Buzza

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Jack Leslie

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Aidyn Johnson

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Callum Moore

Votes: 38 22.2%
  • Billy Longer

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • Lukas Webb

Votes: 43 25.1%
  • Richard Douglas

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Jacob Townsend

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Connor Menadue

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Chris Masten

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Lachlan Henderson

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Ben Keays

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Fletcher Roberts

• None

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Ex DFA - Luke Partington

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • Sam Murray

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Jay Kennedy-Harris

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Zac Clarke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Archie Smith

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Hugh Dixon

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Sam Gray

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Sam Skinner

• Total voters
May 29, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
The scum board are pretty filthy Hartley
is leaving. Must be a reasonable pick up. When he played a full season 16&17, 86% disposal efficiency, so suits our style. Sounds like a great depth player at the very least, although I’m tipping we will turn him into a good player, when we wash the scum off.

May 28, 2005
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Springfield Isotopes
Sounds like a great depth player at the very least, although I’m tipping we will turn him into a good player, when we wash the scum off.

You scrub, I hose
7579356f-0b86-4b27-9266-10995075510e_1.29e9f4f7b28389556aeb6593c8699393.png

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Why on earth did Essendon delist him? They couldn't have traded him for a few end of the draft picks at the least?

Same thoughts with Hendo at Adelaide. Some things just don't make no sense.

I answered this before. We did not delist him. We offered him a one year deal and hawthorn offered better.

I reckon it is not a longer contract but rather more opportunity.

At Essendon he is behind Hooker, Hurley, Ambrose and Zerk Thatcher (equal to Zer Thatcher but 6 years older)

At Hawthorn I reckon he is behind Frawley and Frost.

He has beautiful foot skills.
Average athletic ability.
Average skill a tr ground level.
Excellent spoiling skills.
Poor one on one defense against gorillas.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
If we had offered him another contract he would have stuck around, we didn't. Yes he chose to retire but he was slightly pushed.

My comment stands. He retired and there was a reason the club helped it end that way. Let's remember our premiership players with the respect that they have earned

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm sure you're exactly the same as you were in 2012.
Personal development - no.
Physically and athletically - very much so.

You pretty much get the same abilities (strengths and weaknesses) amplified at senior football.
I agree with this Essendon supporting poster
He has beautiful foot skills.
Average athletic ability.
Average skill a tr ground level.
Excellent spoiling skills.
Poor one on one defense against gorillas.

They must see some latent potential that could be exploited.
Fair enough.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You pretty much get the same abilities (strengths and weaknesses) amplified at senior football.

Development can make all the difference though. Players learn to exploit their strengths and find ways to minimise their weaknesses.

Sam Mitchell is a good example. Slow as treacle but once he mastered that side step WOW.

When combined with his ability to kick on both sides he became so much more damaging in his late twenties than he was in his early twenties.

Feb 11, 2004
I'm Liv'n in the 70's
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill , BulleenTemp.
Small caveat to the discussions
The term “landed” Hartley seems a little premature given the only available evidence appears to be an ever changing article on AFL.com
It pays to bear in mind that the only definitive evidence of us landing a player remains the polo shirt photo by the JK statue 😉

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
The term “landed” Hartley seems a little premature given the only available evidence appears to be an ever changing article on AFL.com
It pays to bear in mind that the only definitive evidence of us landing a player remains the polo shirt photo by the JK statue 😉

Totally, I've scoured the Internet and this thread is the only place assuming it's happened.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Yep. Could be media hot air for all we know.

He'll be picked up, but by whom is anyone's guess right now.

Oct 4, 2005
In my happy place
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, NYJets
Yep. Could be media hot air for all we know.

He'll be picked up, but by whom is anyone's guess right now.

Waiting for Kangas and Saints to jump on the wagon now Hawks have shown interest

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
from June 2008

Another AFL Scholarship for the Penrith Swans

Michael Hartley signs Magpie Sponsorship
The rumours & speculation around the club are now over as another AFL Scholarship for Collingwood is signed by a proud Penrith Swans player.
Michael Hartley (15) from our Under 16 Team has followed in the footsteps of Nick Perry (Collingwood) & Jake Pianta (Carlton) by becoming recipient of our 3rd AFL Scholarship within our club.
A previous soccer and Penrith Rep cricket player, Michael was spotted by the talent scouts following an AFL held, High School competition.
Despite this being his first season in AFL, Michael shone with super performances at the u15-16 Regional Championships held recently at Riverstone.
It should be noted that there was a strong bid from Hawthorn, who were also extremely interested in Michael. At the end of the day, it was Michael's decision to opt for the Black n' White of the Collingwood Magpies.
On behalf of the Penrith Swans, we wish Michael all the very best in his future AFL endeavour.

from June 2008

The rumours & speculation around the club are now over as another AFL Scholarship for Collingwood is signed by a proud Penrith Swans player.
Michael Hartley (15) from our Under 16 Team has followed in the footsteps of Nick Perry (Collingwood) & Jake Pianta (Carlton) by becoming recipient of our 3rd AFL Scholarship within our club.
A previous soccer and Penrith Rep cricket player, Michael was spotted by the talent scouts following an AFL held, High School competition.
Despite this being his first season in AFL, Michael shone with super performances at the u15-16 Regional Championships held recently at Riverstone.
It should be noted that there was a strong bid from Hawthorn, who were also extremely interested in Michael. At the end of the day, it was Michael's decision to opt for the Black n' White of the Collingwood Magpies.
On behalf of the Penrith Swans, we wish Michael all the very best in his future AFL endeavour.
Aside from Clarkson, every other role at the club has changed hands at least once since 2008. I seriously doubt he had any interest in Hartley as a 15 year old. Even the great Graham Wright only joined us in 2011.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
from June 2008

this is typical of the ongoing strategy. If we like them as juniors, it does not diminish.

Wrighty joined in 07. His first pick? Cyril.
I stand corrected somewhat- he started in recruiting with us in 2007, elevated to national manager, replacing Pelchen thankfully, in 2011. So yep, he was at HFC in 2008, but wasn’t the head honcho of the recruiting department at that stage.

So the longer this Hartley thing drags out, the less likely we'll land him.

Agreed. But I'm guessing we will take him in the post-draft delisted free agents period, so as not to dilute the amount of draft picks we use on the night(s) in case we need more picks to match a bid on Finn.

Plus, if we already have an agreement in place, Hartley can simply not nominate for any of the drafts so as not to be picked up by anyone else.

Watsclarkosmob

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Back