Combined sides based on ladder positions

Remove this Banner Ad

Witts, Weller, Fiorini, Sexton, Swallow and potentially Miller and Rankine would get games at Richmond.

No sides 22nd player is better than another sides 1-5. Not at any AFL club.
I don't get the love for Weller and swallow is a good honest trier but nothing like he was billed to be. Rankine is a bit young.

You really outta do it staggered, combine 1st with 10th, 2nd with 11th and so on. Of course almost no-one from 18th would be in the side that came 1st.

1st and 10th would be a far superior side than 9th and 18th.

1st and 10th would be a far superior side than 9th and 18th.
But the exercise is to make an interesting set of lists combining two clubs, not make a set of even lists. Combining 1st and last is boring as it will be just the first placed side with the best couple of players from last, and would still be significantly better than 9th + 10th anyway.

I don't get the love for Weller and swallow is a good honest trier but nothing like he was billed to be. Rankine is a bit young.

Looking at the grand final side I think any of Broad, Baker, Bolton, Rioli, Nank/Soldo and potentially Short would make way. Ellis played and he is now at GC. Stack was best 22 through the year and Rankine is, or should be, every bit as good when he plays.

But I respect that those players all suit Richmond’s game plan perfectly whether they are better or worse than the GC group.

I'll give Port/Hawthorn a go

B: Ryan Burton, James Frawley, Ben Stratton
HB: Hamish Hartlett, James Sicily, Jarman Impey
C: Isaac Smith, Tom Mitchell, Ollie Wines
HF: Brad Ebert, Jack Gunston, Chad Wingard
F: Luke Breust, Charlie Dixon, Robbie Gray
Foll: Ben McEvoy, Travis Boak, James Worpel
I/C: Scott Lycett, Justin Westhoff, Shaun Burgoyne, Sam Powell-Pepper

All you are doing is confusing poor Burton.

B - Sheppard, Pearce, Wilson
HB - Hurn, McGovern, Luke Ryan
C - Gaff, Yeo, S Hill
HF - Walters, Darling, Cripps
F - Liam Ryan, Kennedy, Matera
R - Naitanui, Shuey, Kelly
Int - Sheed, Lobb, Jetta, Redden
You forgot that Nat Fyfe bloke, he goes alright.

Looking at the grand final side I think any of Broad, Baker, Bolton, Rioli, Nank/Soldo and potentially Short would make way. Ellis played and he is now at GC. Stack was best 22 through the year and Rankine is, or should be, every bit as good when he plays.

But I respect that those players all suit Richmond’s game plan perfectly whether they are better or worse than the GC group.
I can see Miller being a foil for houli so probably takes shorts place, as Baker is more defensive. Picket as much as I loved the grand final is probably behind someone like fiorini on exposed form. Witt's probably replaces soldo because they're the most alike, nank is more of a bull at ground level. Sexton should fine a place but it's hard, he isn't really a replacement for Castagna/rioli/bolton, And broad Plays at the other end. Perhaps playing Witt's allows only the 1 ruckman, which gives him a spot, but not sure who would play second ruck. Maybe lunch for 5 minutes a quarter. I wouldn't replace caddy with him, caddy does a lot of intercepting and bull work.

Would have Jaeger and even Shiels over Powell-Pepper every day of the week.

Also I think Jonas would find a way into that side. Probably at Stratton's expense now.

Hardwick ahead of Hartlett too.

Don't think you would need Lycett in the team with Dixon, McEvoy and even Westhoff all capable of playing ruck.

I'd drop Lycett for a small like Byrne-Jones.

Leaving you with something like this:

B: Ryan Burton, James Frawley, Tom Jonas
HB: Blake Hardwick, James Sicily, Jarman Impey
I/C: Darcy Byrne-Jones, Justin Westhoff, Shaun Burgoyne, Jaeger O'Meara

Really don't like Dixon being in there....overrated as anything. Hopefully Lewis or Patton would take his spot by the end of 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B - Sheppard, Pearce, Wilson
HB - Hurn, McGovern, Luke Ryan
C - Gaff, Shuey, S Hill
HF - Walters, Darling, Cripps
F - Liam Ryan, Kennedy, Matera
R - Naitanui, Fyfe, Yeo
Int - Sheed, Lobb, Kelly, Redden

That's actually a pretty good team.

Too many midfielders on the interchange so I'd probably swap Redden for Hamling. Add him to the six defenders already named and that is probably the best back line of any of the nine hybrid teams that will be named.

NicNat, Fyfe, Kelly and Yeo in the guts...also going to be top 2-3 midfields. I suspect forward is where that hybrid team will struggle compared to others - neither of Ryan or Matera are or have ever been top drawer.

Difficult to make a case for any other Dockers - perhaps Hogan if he were fit. I would also question whether SHill has enough of a form line over the last two years with inujury. Mundy probably just ticked into the too old - although Kennedy close to falling into that category.

That's actually a pretty good team.

Too many midfielders on the interchange so I'd probably swap Redden for Hamling. Add him to the six defenders already named and that is probably the best back line of any of the nine hybrid teams that will be named.

NicNat, Fyfe, Kelly and Yeo in the guts...also going to be top 2-3 midfields. I suspect forward is where that hybrid team will struggle compared to others - neither of Ryan or Matera are or have ever been top drawer.

Difficult to make a case for any other Dockers - perhaps Hogan if he were fit. I would also question whether SHill has enough of a form line over the last two years with inujury. Mundy probably just ticked into the too old - although Kennedy close to falling into that category.

Yeah it was a toss-up with Redden/Hamling and Hill/someone else, figured I'd split the difference and the margin is small anyway. Going into 2020 I don't think Mundy is still in the top echelon.

It's a pretty potent first 22, with the weakness definitely being on the FF line.

Combining Dogs and North would make a pretty crap side relative to what other combinations can do. Using the Dogs as the basis for the side since we finished higher, we'd add Ben Brown, Robbie Tarrant and maybe Todd Goldstein as KPPs. Polec would go on a wing, then I suppose Cunnington would have to fit somewhere, but hardly improves the side since our midfield is already the strong point. Might be one or two mediums/smalls to add in there, but really the team doesn't improve that much. And that's not an indictment on North, more just the fact that some of their best players (especially Cunnington + Higgins) aren't improving us much since they're too similar to what we already have

It's a pretty potent first 22, with the weakness definitely being on the FF line.
Even then that FF line is pretty solid. Ryan and Kennedy obviously both good players (and for a combined side even if Kennedy starts to fall off, a fit Hogan is far from the worst replacement) and Matera's done his best work when he's actually got talls next to him (kicked about 24 goals in 11 games before Hogan etc injured themselves)

Even then that FF line is pretty solid. Ryan and Kennedy obviously both good players (and for a combined side even if Kennedy starts to fall off, a fit Hogan is far from the worst replacement) and Matera's done his best work when he's actually got talls next to him (kicked about 24 goals in 11 games before Hogan etc injured themselves)

And if Hamling were to swap in for Redden - then 15 of the 22 are Western Australians

Essendon/Adelaide is extremely hard... And a very good team.

B Laird - Talia - Saad
HB Milera - Hurley - McKenna
C Shiel - Sloane - B.Crouch
HF Lynch - Daniher - Fantasia
F McDonald-Tipungwuti - Walker - Stringer
R O’Brien - Merrett - M.Crouch
Int. Heppell - Hooker - D.Smith - McGrath/B.Smith
Emg. McGrath/B.Smith - Gibbs - Parish - Doedee - Francis - Fogarty - Redman - Bellchambers - Gleeson - Ambrose

Help would be appreciated Adelaide folk... Tell me if I’ve overrated/underrated your players.

I also no doubt probably missed someone from either side.

Adelaide have the tough mids we need and we have the pace they need. Good teams to unite, quality side that

Yep, correct. The more marginal and weaker ones have straight replacements that aren't too shabby themselves.

If Rioli was playing in 2020 I'd have him in place of Matera though (no offence). I also considered players like Blakely and Brayshaw who I think could make a big step up next season but couldn't find a spot for them just yet.

I would combine Richmond (WA State colours) and West Coast and watch you all melt.

180K members

It would be a team that could travel 😂 , dominate at home and dominate at the G. Also it wouldn't have to play down at Geelong/Tassie ever again with all those games being played at the G

Oh and West Coast could still get to see a Rioli running around playing footy.

post your tears here:

LMAO at the fact that you have Howe and Crisp both missing.

Luckily for us you have Jordan ******* Dawson getting a game. Holy hell.

I find it fascinating how under the radar Crisp is compared to how good he is at his position.

It's fine when it's just supporters of other clubs (I certainly won't pretend to know everything about other clubs), but recently Gary Buckenara gave him just about the lowest ranking of anyone on our entire list. :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back