Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
I think 2021 is RCD's year.

Would be great to see him destroy the VFL. His contested game lends itself to dominating that league more than say a Sydney Stack or Marlion.
lol. So Pickett plays an uncontested game? Wasn’t he just awarded BOG in the VFL GF with a powerful contested game? Stack could play on the moon , plus he’s that good as he can play both contested and uncontested styles.
All three would dominate VFL and possibly all three will dominate AFL.

matt_y106

Club Legend
Dec 13, 2008
Vermont
AFL Club
Richmond
I watched bits and pieces of that grand final, but missed a few of the things RCD had done.

That video shows he can perform at the level. Clean hands in tight allowing to release a player from a contested situation, break away pace, tackles hard. Seems to make the right decision most of the time, but kicks seem to float a bit too much, maybe biting off a bit more than he can chew.
But the thing I loved the most is his arrogance to take the game on and do it himself.
Apart from dusty, our side hasn’t got many of these.
Adding RCD and stack into the team next year increases our weapons enormously. Plus Pickett already. Exciting future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I watched bits and pieces of that grand final, but missed a few of the things RCD had done.

That video shows he can perform at the level. Clean hands in tight allowing to release a player from a contested situation, break away pace, tackles hard. Seems to make the right decision most of the time, but kicks seem to float a bit too much, maybe biting off a bit more than he can chew.
But the thing I loved the most is his arrogance to take the game on and do it himself.
Apart from dusty, our side hasn’t got many of these.
Adding RCD and stack into the team next year increases our weapons enormously. Plus Pickett already. Exciting future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jack Ross.

The quality of his disposal is what really stands out.

Actually for me it's his speed and potential power. He looks like he will fill out. When he gets any space at all he just goes, and is so fast he creates space. And he hits the contest with genuine speed and power. Add more muscle and he'll tear his way through congestion. Clean hands and smart thought through handball in tight. I can see him stepping up to be a guy that rips contested balls into space to our advantage. That's one of the most valuable things a player can do. Creates goals and causes the opposition to play more defensively.

I like his kicking in general, but he's not elite.

Still so much to work with. Could become a star if he can develop and translate potential into actuality.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Actually for me it's his speed and potential power. He looks like he will fill out. When he gets any space at all he just goes, and is so fast he creates space. And he hits the contest with genuine speed and power. Add more muscle and he'll tear his way through congestion. Clean hands and smart thought through handball in tight. I can see him stepping up to be a guy that rips contested balls into space to our advantage. That's one of the most valuable things a player can do. Creates goals and causes the opposition to play more defensively.

Still so much to work with. Could become a star if he can develop and translate potential into actuality.
And the cherry on top of all this is that RCD can take some valuable time in the VFL honing his skills and building up his physical strength and an already speedy tank without being flogged to death in the firsts against bigger and stronger oppo with massive expectations of RCD being the next Dusty! and/or Stocker!
win win all around! ;) :D👍

Last edited:
And the cherry on top of all this is that RCD can take some valuable time in the VFL honing his skills and building up his physical strength and an already speedy tank without being flogged to death in the firsts against bigger and stronger oppo with massive expectations of being the next Dusty!...
win win all around! ;) :D👍

RCD can develop for a couple of years I reckon. He needs at least 5KGs to me. That will take 2 years or so. And he needs to build his tank, and get used to going again and again with his new powerful body.

If he can change from cameos to repeat efforts then RCD can become a high possession and impact midfielder. HUGE upside.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
RCD can develop for a couple of years I reckon. He needs at least 5KGs to me. That will take 2 years or so. And he needs to build his tank, and get used to going again and again with his new powerful body.

If he can change from cameos to repeat efforts then RCD can become a high possession and impact midfielder. HUGE upside.
The beauty is...playing in such a top midfield side...he does not have the expectations of having to be a gun like Dusty!
RCD can play with such a top group and take the back seat and learn from them...he can pick and choose his times to be explosive and get used to the role before it becomes an expectation...

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
What separates RCD from Cripps, Fyfe, Bont and mids around his height is his burst of speed. As great as those other players are, they do not have speed. That was what excited me from his draft highlights, and it took until the GF to translate. He will be ready next season, he is already about the 90kg mark. Still think he is our best prospect since Dusty.

What separates RCD from Cripps, Fyfe, Bont and mids around his height is his burst of speed. As great as those other players are, they do not have speed. That was what excited me from his draft highlights, and it took until the GF to translate. He will be ready next season, he is already about the 90kg mark. Still think he is our best prospect since Dusty.

90KG!!!!!

He doesn't look it. Definitely more muscle than when drafted. But he's got a heap of development left in his body.

IF he is that weight now then he'll end up a monster.

Anyway, he's got a lot to work on. But he also has a lot to work with.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
90KG!!!!!

He doesn't look it. Definitely more muscle than when drafted. But he's got a heap of development left in his body.

he is pretty tall though

agreed what should out for me in the grand is his size and work in the engine room

cracks in hard

#2Mums

Everyone needs to pull back regarding this kid. He is unlikely to ever reach the standard of those you've mentioned.

Reason is he doesn't find his own football. He has low possession numbers and in almost ever piece of play, he is receiving a handball. I was shocked we drafted him with his low numbers and a player like Ross is far more likely to reach a high standard. I hope I'm wrong and the kid kills it but I am not one who thinks he'll be a star.

I think he would be better served as a HBF type, going past and receiving the handball - run and deliver type.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Everyone needs to pull back regarding this kid. He is unlikely to ever reach the standard of those you've mentioned.

Reason is he doesn't find his own football. He has low possession numbers and in almost ever piece of play, he is receiving a handball. I was shocked we drafted him with his low numbers and a player like Ross is far more likely to reach a high standard. I hope I'm wrong and the kid kills it but I am not one who thinks he'll be a star.

I think he would be better served as a HBF type, going past and receiving the handball - run and deliver type.

he was drafted ahead cause he has a higher ceiling

in the grand final he had low numbers again but was very influential in the guts (i thought). snagged a couple in maybe the tightest finish ever to a footy game(?)

2mums is a big boy if he can keep putting on muscle he will be a battering ram

Last edited:

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
90KG!!!!!

He was drafted at 89kg's, but he is 193cm, got a big frame and big legs just no defined muscle yet.

Sometimes certain players dont need 30+ touches to be damaging

20 touches 5 per quarter if they are like his 2 out of the centre in the VFL final will destroy teams
Agree but a one game performance at a lower grade is no ticket to stardom. I was responding to comments comparing RCD to stars of the game. Fyfe , Bont and Cripps.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

I'm a big Ross fan and to me he is a Selwood clone. RCD of course may never reach the heights of Fyfe, Cripps and Bont as they are genuine super stars of the game, but just highlighting that they don't have his pace, a massive plus at his size. He took the VFL GF by the scruff of the neck and won his fair share of ball off the deck. What I also noticed especially in the Preliminary Final was how hard he hit. So he has no fear in using his body, that hit on the Willy bloke about 1:20 on the video is an indication of what is ahead. And as far as hand ball receives go, no problem as with his size and speed he will be awful hard to stop when he is 95kg and at full tilt.

Back