Combined sides based on ladder positions

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect NicNat, Fyfe, Kelly, Yeo and Shuey would win more than their fair share of centre clearances against a centre bounce set up deploying an ageing Selwood and Ablett feeding off an average Ruck.
Who cares. Cripps and Dangerfield. Yep will be too busy tagging Cripps. Fyfe will be getting tagged by Silvagni and not getting a touch or falling on his arse looking at fisher like last year.

My take of a combined Geelong/Carlton side...

B: Stewart Blicavs Kolodjashnij
HB: K.Simpson Weitering Docherty
C: Duncan Cripps Walsh
HF: Ablett Hawkins Dahlhaus
F: Betts C.Curnow Miers
Foll: Kruezer Dangerfield Selwood
Int: Fisher E.Curnow Menegola Stanley

Who cares. Cripps and Dangerfield. Yep will be too busy tagging Cripps. Fyfe will be getting tagged by Silvagni and not getting a touch or falling on his arse looking at fisher like last year.

If Silvagni is still getting a game in a combined side, then it's utter garbage and will get smacked off the park.

If Silvagni is still getting a game in a combined side, then it's utter garbage and will get smacked off the park.
Horses for courses. Underrated outside Carlton. Plays multiple positions. Huge 2020 coming up.

Tags
Dead eye in front of goal
Great hands
Improving mark
21 years old (WOW)
Can play KPD

watch first half v Sydney in 2018 and second half (first game ever playing on ball) v Fremantle 2019 (stopped fyfe and have Carlton the win). My proof is all there.

Horses for courses. Underrated outside Carlton. Plays multiple positions. Huge 2020 coming up.

Tags
Great hands
Improving mark
21 years old (WOW)
Can play KPD

watch first half v Sydney in 2018 and second half (first game ever playing on ball) v Fremantle 2019 (stopped fyfe and have Carlton the win). My proof is all there.
2 solid halves over the last 2 seasons, can’t argue with that....

Last edited:
Yeah I toyed with witts, don’t think he has the aggression of nank however. Fiorini wouldn’t get a place in our 22 and miller maybe if we wanted a run with player which we rarely do.

Harbrow would get a gig ahead of Short or Ellis.
Swallow or Miller ahead of Graham, but team balance says not both.

That's about it for me though.

Tags
Great hands
Improving mark
21 years old (WOW)
Can play KPD

And then watch when he played North down in Hobart. Atrocious

B: Marley Williams, Robbie Tarrant, Easton Wood
HB: Hayden Crozier, Jackson Trengrove, Jasper Pittard
C: Jackson Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli, Jason Johannisen
HF: Shaun Higgins, Aaron Naughton, Jack Ziebell
F: Sam Lloyd, Ben Brown, Cam Zurhaar
Foll: Todd Goldstein, Ben Cunnington, Josh Dunkley
Bench: Lachie Hunter, Caleb Daniel, Jared Polec, Bailey Dale

Think Hunter and Daniel are both vastly overrated, so bench spots. Lots of stats padding for both.

Not one player in that back 6 is rated as highly as they should be. Midfield a bit one paced, so Johannisen starts on the wing over Polec (faster).

12-10 split overall, Dogs way. Midfield depth would be next up Dogs if fit (Libba, Lipinski, Smith over Simpkin, Anderson, Dumont), as would flankers (Suckling). Toby McLean unlucky but Bailey Dale came home like a house on fire and suits team balance, while McLean is a bit out of place after 2019 - certainly would have been in there after 2018. Zurhaar sealed his spot due to the lack of forward 50 pressure otherwise.

I think adding Goldstein, Brown and Tarrant alone would make the Dogs a huge flag threat, main thing though would be the addition of Higgins/Cunnington (ball hunters) make the midfield susceptible, not many naturally defensive/role players in that midfield and Higgins/Cunnington expose us sometimes so might not be perfect.

Here's my attempt at the Lions/Saints team.

FB: D.Roberton - H.Andrews - J.Geary
HB: D.Rich - D.Gardiner - Z.Jones
C: H.McCluggage - L.Neale - B.Hill
HF: J.Billings - D.McStay - C.Rayner
FF: C.Cameron - T.Membrey - J.Gresham

FOL: S.Martin - D.Zorko - S.Ross
INT: R.Marshall - M.Robinson - J.Steele - J.Lyons
Hipwood over McStay.

Wouldn't have Rayner in there either.

I'd have Hipwood instead of McStay and Hannebery in there instead of Rayner.
Cameron and Gresh in the same forward line would be great to watch.

Hipwood over McStay.
Wouldn't have Rayner in there either.

I believe Rayner is due for a breakout year whereas Hannebery isn't likely to improve.
IMO Hipwood is still too weak and is nudged under the ball far too often; McStay at least creates a contest and brings the ball to ground.
Either way, still a pretty strong team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe Rayner is due for a breakout year whereas Hannebery isn't likely to improve.
IMO Hipwood is still too weak and is nudged under the ball far too often; McStay at least creates a contest and brings the ball to ground.
Either way, still a pretty strong team.
Marshall would also start over Martin. Would be a nice side with plenty of potential that’s for sure.

Just looking at a combined Richmond Suns side it’s hard to find many Suns players that would make the side however I’ll give it a go.

Richmond/Gold Coast
B - grimes (rich) astbury(rich) vlaustin (rich)
HB - houli (rich) rance (rich) short (rich)
C - Pickett (rich) Prestia (rich) Caddy (rich)
HF - Lambert (rich) Riewoldt (rich) Stack (rich)
FF - Castagna (rich) Lynch (rich) Rioli (rich)
R - Nankervis (rich) Martin (rich) Cotchin (rich)
I - Graham (rich) Soldo (rich) Bolton (rich) Ellis (Suns)

Be interested to see everyone’s sides and the differences with the players selected depending on which set of supporters are putting the team together.

Quite an elaborate effort starting this thread for the sole purpose of naming a best 22 consisting of 21 Richmond players and a guy that played for Richmond until a month ago.

But I found it funny, so what the hell. Plus you weren't far off a serious answer anyway.

Witts a mile in front of Nankervis in ruck.
I'd have Fiorini over your bench players and probably ahead of Caddy, Pickett (small sample) and Short.
Darcy McPherson over Castagna/other small.

Not much to work with after that.

You really outta do it staggered, combine 1st with 10th, 2nd with 11th and so on. Of course almost no-one from 18th would be in the side that came 1st.

Strongly disagree.

Pretty much every team has a few superstars or at least several very very good players.

It's the big drop off in talent from say the 10th player onwards separates the best from the worst teams IMO.

I'm getting a bit ranty, so I will get this off my chest and then bow out disgracefully.

The tigers are a good team. No, they are a great team. You won the premiership in 2017. And again this year. And looked the goods last year til Mason Cox decided to have his best ever game. Dusty is a superstar. Like amazing (I love him). Rance is a brilliant CHB. Sydney Stack was an inspired selection. And Pickett was a feel-good story for the ages.

All of that was said honestly, without a trace of irony.

Now that we have that on the table. Can Richmond supporters (a few certain ones, in particular) please, please, PLEASE tone it down a little*. It's getting REALLY tedious.

* Yes I know that seems an unreasonable request when I am almost frothing at the mouth. But it's things like rampant BS from Richmond fans that keep me off the main board most of the time when I would really enjoy talking non-Carlton footy.

/rant

Fyfe
Walters
Pearce
Ryan
Lobb
Wilson
Hill
Hamling

First three are certainties imo. Hill and Hamling more iffy.

Cant see Walters or Pearce as walk-up starts TBH. IMHO neither cracks West Coast's forwardline if all available players are fit, and I could only see Walters making the midfield if you want to move on someone line Redden (which I wouldn't).

The rest are various flavours of Original Potato Chip. Do not want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back