Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

That story I believe to be 1000% accurate.

My buddy used to be a mad horse racing fan when he was in his teens, used to go along with his uncle, and have the radio locked onto 3UZ.

When man first stepped onto the moon, all of the radio stations took the live broadcast coming through from NASA....him and his uncle were listening to it on 3UZ....story has it, again I s**t you not, the broadcast went like this...."one small step for man, one giant leap....racing Manangatang..."

LOL:D...this is hilarious.

That story I believe to be 1000% accurate.

My buddy used to be a mad horse racing fan when he was in his teens, used to go along with his uncle, and have the radio locked onto 3UZ.

When man first stepped onto the moon, all of the radio stations took the live broadcast coming through from NASA....him and his uncle were listening to it on 3UZ....story has it, again I s**t you not, the broadcast went like this...."one small step for man, one giant leap....racing Manangatang..."
magnificent - where else but this looney country?

The worst coverage was when our game was on 3DB. “A great piece of play running through the middle heading towards goal” then, “Racing at Doomben” and off the coverage would go to the horses. So frustrating.
This was the case for the 'Malcolm Blight game' at Princes Park in 1976. Listening to the dying moments of the game, with us clinging on to the lead & suddenly it was "racing at Rosehill." Then it returns to "we have witnessed a sensational finish here at Princes Park." I was shattered to find out we had lost the game, but deep down probably relieved I didn't hear the final moments live.

This was the case for the 'Malcolm Blight game' at Princes Park in 1976. Listening to the dying moments of the game, with us clinging on to the lead & suddenly it was "racing at Rosehill." Then it returns to "we have witnessed a sensational finish here at Princes Park." I was shattered to find out we had lost the game, but deep down probably relieved I didn't hear the final moments live.

One thing that DB did that was good, I think they were the only station that covered the original night series. In between the dogs and trots of course.

Was there. Was shattered.

Was there. Was shattered.
I was standing right behind him and said to a North supporter 10 bucks he won't get the distance. Probably the greatest single kick in AFL - VFL history, it not only made the distance it went another twenty metres behind the goals. Couldn't afford a drink that night.

^^^^^^^

Close, but not a patch on this fella.

Saw this guy at his peak, there was nothing like him.

Gunna ramble about him once again, he was so good he silenced crowds, he'd slot a goal and people in the crowd would whisper did you see that???? as if they'd seen a magic trick.

I was privileged to watch him play. In total awe of what he could do week in and week out. Even when he was past his best at St.Kilda he still managed to pull out the magic.

^^^^^^

Was sitting in the Heatley Stand when perm haired Ian Robinson gave a free against him for time wasting in that game.

Shooda been a ball up.

Funny back then, in all that time we were winning flags, we just couldn't knock off Essendon.:rolleyes:
Absolutely spot on. I still can't believe Carlton & Essendon never played 2 or 3 GF's during the 80's. Sheedy lost the plot after their back to back premierships.

I was standing right behind him and said to a North supporter 10 bucks he won't get the distance. Probably the greatest single kick in AFL - VFL history, it not only made the distance it went another twenty metres behind the goals. Couldn't afford a drink that night.
Went onto the ground after the game (like 3,000 others) and we all stood at where he kicked it and just shook our heads. Not only the distance, but it went in at goal post height. Two weeks later against Hawthorn he only needs to score a point and kicks it on the full from 15 metres out. Go figure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If you look closely that Footy Record flying in the direction of the kick was launched by me from the Carlton Social Cub. The Kangas pinched a couple off us in that season. Still shits me.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If you look closely that Footy Record flying in the direction of the kick was launched by me from the Carlton Social Cub. The Kangas pinched a couple off us in that season. Still shits me.
In the Prelim Final that year we were again beaten by Blight. This time though it wasn't goalkicking heroics, instead he took a number of defensive marks as we kept pumping the ball forward trying to find that elusive goal which would put us in front & through to the GF.

It was a strange year for us overall. We won the first 7 games, lost the next 5, won the next 9, drew the last game, finished on top & then went out of the finals in straight sets.

So was there some guy Donaldson and Nicholls a bit earlier?
Sounds like we changed coaches super regularly in mid and late 70's.

What did Thorogood do to be a coach of an elite football team ?

In the Prelim Final that year we were again beaten by Blight. This time though it wasn't goalkicking heroics, instead he took a number of defensive marks as we kept pumping the ball forward trying to find that elusive goal which would put us in front & through to the GF.

It was a strange year for us overall. We won the first 7 games, lost the next 5, won the next 9, drew the last game, finished on top & then went out of the finals in straight sets.
Yeah Mighty Blighty was pretty good.

However we should have won both games and that‘s why I hate North Melbourne with a passion. Unreasonable and illogical is my shtick these days.

So was there some guy Donaldson and Nicholls a bit earlier?
Sounds like we changed coaches super regularly in mid and late 70's.

What did Thorogood do to be a coach of an elite football team ?
Graham Donaldson was an Assistant Coach who, from memory, filled in on the odd occasion for Barassi & Nicholls.

Thorogood seemed to be a very likable chap, but I'm not sure why he got the gig at Carlton. Ultimately he only coached for 2 years - 1976 & 1977.

I still cannot see your footy record Robbo.
I need to go to Specsavers !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back