Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries have consistently derailed our season and consistently Freo have done nothing about it.
It's been on the agenda season after season but nothing changes.
It's bloody so infuriating, its a coach and supporter killer.
Ffs Freo do something, anything but fix the problem.

yadda yadda yadda....I know of 15 other clubs this year in the same or worse situation...do something about it AFL.

No not Kersten, he actually was injured. The banned player had been playing. I don't care if the club wants to keep it quiet if they finally did something about the bad behaviour that goes on. Called out pubically last year with Neale then Hogan this year.

Jones is not on the injury list and not sighted for a while?

It’s being reported that the Geelong doc has detected a previously undetected issue with Harley’s calf and he’s having another bout of surgery to fix it. Something about a nerve being too close to the tendon in both his calves.

He could be up and running by November and meeting a Melbourne based club in a few weeks. That would be incredibly frustrating if he’s back playing for another club but I would be happy for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure I understand this miracle neurolysis cure, sure the suspected nerve issue can cause symptoms but he has had numerous actual tears not just pain
Ignoring the nerve gobbledygook what they have done is cut out part of his calf. I suppose there is some chance it might heal with the new (presumably straighter and thinner) scar tissue arranged in such a way that it is less likely to tear. I expect however that this low probability and this is why it hasn't been attempted before.

Ignoring the nerve gobbledygook what they have done is cut out part of his calf. I suppose there is some chance it might heal with the new (presumably straighter and thinner) scar tissue arranged in such a way that it is less likely to tear. I expect however that this low probability and this is why it hasn't been attempted before.
Wouldn’t have thought there’s enough calf muscle to remove, I mean just a small amount would be nearly all of it.

It’s being reported that the Geelong doc has detected a previously undetected issue with Harley’s calf and he’s having another bout of surgery to fix it. Something about a nerve being too close to the tendon in both his calves.

He could be up and running by November and meeting a Melbourne based club in a few weeks. That would be incredibly frustrating if he’s back playing for another club but I would be happy for him.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He had first surgery a couple of weeks ago (25/07) and then needs a second bout of surgery in another couple of weeks - all in Brisbane. The original article is below:

Look I hope he gets back but the surgeons that Freo use, who are very good would be well aware of the procedure being undertaken and their view was likely that it won’t be successful - hence HB negotiating to leave the club to get it done.

I worked with a number of workers comp clients who had all sorts of injuries and were always looking for a quick fix. Very good surgeons would indicate I don’t expect this procedure to work but hay it’s workers comp why not give it a crack but also explain things could actually get worse. With surgery comes additional risks and complications and I’ve seen it hundreds of times.

I guess HB is leaving no stone unturned. If all goes super smoothly he may well be back up and jogging by November but boy you’d be walking on egg shells and as RTB mentioned hundreds of times holding your breath.

What hasn’t been mentioned or incorrectly indicated is that HB isn’t eligible for the Dec-Mar SSP Draft. Previously listed players need to be out of the game for a year.

So this Vic club would need to bite the bullet in the Nov Rookie Draft or the later mid-season draft. At least that’s how I understand it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's happening with Tabener? With no surgery his foot stress fracture should have healed, but no sign of him and still listed as season.
In 2018 Tabs was injured in Round 5, he returned in Round 20 - missing 14 weeks.

This year he was injured in Round 9 and a 14 week injury would have him back Round 23 or Week 1 of the finals. If he's healed perfectly he *could* come back in a couple of weeks.

I don't think it's worth it.

Last edited:
Wilson having a procedure done? Anyone with an idea? Hopefully something minor like a joint debridement

Jesus... I hadn't opened this thread in so long it took me to the first post and I thought Blakely had just torn his hammy off the bone again!
Yeah I did the same thing too :) Realised it wasn't recent after reading "leaves another big hole to fill in our midfield" :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back