Which footballer do you feel is underrated because they played for an unsuccessful team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Boyd will be remembered fondly by Bulldogs fans for his 2016 GF performance. He was pretty good in the prelim too IIRC.

Other than that he will be forgotten by plenty and otherwise known as that guy who went #1 in the draft and never really went on with it then quit due to mental health.
Minor nitpick - Boyd quit for more reasons than just his mental health. In his interview with Sheehan recently, he really opened up about everything he was thinking and feeling throughout his career, and basically said that while his mental health was a minor contributor, it largely came down to a complete lack of passion for playing at the highest level. He simply didn't enjoy it (and I'll bet the mental health problems made it even worse). If we're blaming one single cause, I'd argue it was a lack of motivation to be an elite footballer, with mental health coming 2nd

You get he was a has been when he played at the dogs right? And his last year at the saints too. Late eighties and early nineties he was second behind gary ablett senior as the most exciting player in the comp when on.
Winmar played one mediocre season at the Dogs. He was a star with St Kilda. One of the best wingmen of the late 80s and 90s.
Yeah I know, I simply pointed it out since he's an ex-Dogs player. He had a very good career which no one would dispute, but he was not on the level of Buddy, Goodes, Matera, G. Farmer, etc. Maybe pushing top 10, but definitely not in the conversation for best of all time like the others are

Would that be the Farmer who is in the:

- West Perth team of the century
- East Perth team of the century
- Geelong team of the century
- VFL/AFL team of the century
Yes, the same one. He was no doubt an outstanding player, but Goodes is the better player with the more successful career

Yeah I know, I simply pointed it out since he's an ex-Dogs player. He had a very good career which no one would dispute, but he was not on the level of Buddy, Goodes, Matera, G. Farmer, etc. Maybe pushing top 10, but definitely not in the conversation for best of all time like the others are
Winmar averaged more possessions a game then goodes (in a period when possession counts were lower, especially for flankers - not to mention moorabbin was a wind swept mud bog for half the yeaf), same amount of goals per game and had far more brilliance that could split games open. Used to love listening to a rex hunt call when winmar was on.

Winmar is clearly the better player. He isnt ranked as high as he should because most of his career was in a very ordinary side (save for the end when his best was past him) and there was not a lot of tv coverage for st kilda. Many of his games were never seen on tv.

I reckon Goodes gets judged lower because he was "boring" in that he didnt do the freaky Buddy tupe stuff.

Similar to say a Greg Williams v Kouta discussion would go maybe...

I don't think Goodes was a 'boring' player, but he wasn't your stereotypical indigenous player who makes commentators say "magic" all the time and make comparisons to other indigenous players. He still kicked running goals from outside 50 etc. and was a phenomenal athlete, it's not like he was a dour full back or a trundler in the middle. A 191cm 100kg midfielder who started as an undersized ruck stands out when you look at the majority of players in the indigenous TOTC.

He is definitely underrated for his playing career because of his late career/post career off field controversy.

I don't think Goodes was a 'boring' player, but he wasn't your stereotypical indigenous player who makes commentators say "magic" all the time and make comparisons to other indigenous players. He still kicked running goals from outside 50 etc. and was a phenomenal athlete, it's not like he was a dour full back or a trundler in the middle. A 191cm 100kg midfielder who started as an undersized ruck stands out when you look at the majority of players in the indigenous TOTC.

He is definitely underrated for his playing career because of his late career/post career off field controversy.
If goodes was as good, let alone better, then the far more flashier players like mcleod, matera and winmar then he would of found quite a bit more of the pill then them per game. However he found less (only 17 touches per game with his best season only reaching 21). Only five games in his entire career where he had over 30 touches with his highest being 34. His uniqeness, like with blicavs at geelong, has made him overrated because people paid more attention when he did get the ball.

He once got 2 brownlow votes in a game when he had only 14 touches (no goals) playing midfield all day. His game was so bad the the media at the press conference were asking what was wrong with Goodes and his own coach didnt defend him but agreed he was struggling. He got 2 votes that day despite being one of the worst on ground and his team getting smashed by 10 goals. This wasnt the only time goodes votes raised eyebrows on brownlow night.

Ps. Tim kelly will end up going down as a better player then goodes.

Tom Mitchell must be pretty crap too then since he's the opposite of a flashy player
I reckon Goodes gets judged lower because he was "boring" in that he didnt do the freaky Buddy tupe stuff.

Similar to say a Greg Williams v Kouta discussion would go maybe...

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Heres where those comparisoms reveal the true overratedness of adam goodes.

Tom mitchell and greg williams found so much more ball then their flashier peers. Thats why they are rated so highly. Tom mitchell averaged 29 tocuhes a game and greg williams 27.

Goodes not only doesnt average more then his flashier peers but actually averaged less. Adam goodes, despite playing in the middle almost his entire career, only averaged 17 touches a game with his best season being only 21 per game

If goodes wasnt as flashy and brilliant as others, found less ball then the others and wasnt a good defender then why do people rate him as one of the modern games best players?

Rather then responding with lols and memes maybe try responding with reasons.

Heres where those comparisoms reveal the true overratedness of adam goodes.

Tom mitchell and greg williams found so much more ball then their flashier peers. Thats why they are rated so highly. Tom mitchell averaged 29 tocuhes a game and greg williams 27.

Goodes not only doesnt average more then his flashier peers but actually averaged less. Adam goodes, despite playing in the middle almost his entire career, only averaged 17 touches a game with his best season being only 21 per game

If goodes wasnt as flashy and brilliant as others, found less ball then the others and wasnt a good defender then why do people rate him as one of the modern games best players?

Rather then responding with lols and memes maybe try responding with reasons.
Can't speak for the other user, but I'm not bothering arguing anymore. It's derailing the thread, and you've descended into plain trolling with your Tim Kelly > Adam Goodes suggestion

Adam Goodes won the Brownlow averaging 21 touches a game. Judd won it two years earlier averaging 22 and people were calling him GOAT. Weird thing to get hung up over.

I'm far from Goodes' #1 fan but he spent a lot of time not playing in the midfield in his career. As a pure mid in the mid 2000s he was usually getting about 20 touches a game which at the time was comparable to Kerr, Dal Santo, Shaun Burgoyne, Voss etc. Not every mid at that time was Scott West or Robert Harvey. If you look at the top finishers in this year's Brownlow you have Kelly (5th, 25 touches a game), Zorko (10th, 22), Yeo (13th, 24) etc. You don't have to be touch the ball 30 times a game to have an influence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't speak for the other user, but I'm not bothering arguing anymore. It's derailing the thread, and you've descended into plain trolling with your Tim Kelly > Adam Goodes suggestion
The tim kelly comment was an in joke with the other poster.

Ive put down what i see are valid points arguing why winmar is underrated and goodes is overrated. If im trolling it would be very easy for you to counter.

Adam Goodes won the Brownlow averaging 21 touches a game. Judd won it two years earlier averaging 22 and people were calling him GOAT. Weird thing to get hung up over.

I'm far from Goodes' #1 fan but he spent a lot of time not playing in the midfield in his career. As a pure mid in the mid 2000s he was usually getting about 20 touches a game which at the time was comparable to Kerr, Dal Santo, Shaun Burgoyne, Voss etc. Not every mid at that time was Scott West or Robert Harvey. If you look at the top finishers in this year's Brownlow you have Kelly (5th, 25 touches a game), Zorko (10th, 22), Yeo (13th, 24) etc. You don't have to be touch the ball 30 times a game to have an influence.
Judd was super flashy with his never before seen acceleration from a pack. And no one was calling him the GOAT except deluded eagles supporters. Judds eagles years are also highly overrated in large part cos he didnt find much ball. Less deluded supporters were saying Judd could become the GOAT given how well he was playing at a young age. He never got there.

From the dark Hawthorn days of the early 2000s two names spring to mind - Joel Smith and Angelo Lekkas.
Smith, in particular, was an exquisite footballer who never really got great credit despite being an outstanding performer both at St Kilda and Hawthorn.

I think of Joel Smith as a St Kilda player for some reason even though he played 58 games for the Saints then 163 for the Hawks. I remember him doing his knee and then moving clubs even though he was injured. Weird to see a player move via the PSD knowing they would be out for a year. But we are talking about a Saints admin sacked Stan Alves a year after making the GF then hired Tim Watson for two years and a disinterested Malcolm Blight for a few weeks.

Pretty handy player Smith, did the wing to half back switch a lot earlier than most players do and was successful in the role. Won a B&F and a couple of AA jumpers.

Jarrod Harbrow for the Suns is one of the unsung heroes of the competition. A very good halfback that most footy people would hardly recognise. #1 most games played for the Suns with 175.
Probably didn’t help that his first coach at the Suns held him accountable in front of the whole Suns playing group for the Bulldogs’ prelim final losses.

Very solid player though. At least he had a taste of finals early on. Still young enough for another if Suna get a move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back