Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there were only two open training sessions prior to March last pre-season. My recollection was that Stengle seemed a long, long way behind the other small forwards. He will never be a running machine but he knows how to find the ball and he knows how to kick goals.

My gut feel is that the small forwards in the Twos most likely to move into our best 22 are Ned and McAdam but I would be delighted if Stengle kicked 40 goals and made me look like an idiot.
Fog was always reported as not being fit enough to play as well...then we played him and all was forgotten

Yes this didn’t look good. They break them up into groups of similar level fitness. Yet Stengle was in his own group (with trainers) at the back.
Fitness standards were a problem at Richmond, fitness was a problem here at the start of last season......sometimes it's up to the player themselves to want an AFL career bad enough.....and let's not forget Eddie and Anna aren't around anymore to keep him in check.

Fitness standards were a problem at Richmond, fitness was a problem here at the start of last season......sometimes it's up to the player themselves to want an AFL career bad enough.....and let's not forget Eddie and Anna aren't around anymore to keep him in check.
Bloody idiot is all I can say.

He was playing games out well at the end of the SANFL season with extended stints in the midfield. He's never going to be an endurance athlete ala McHenry, but what I saw in the SANFL showed to me he has something to offer at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was playing games out well at the end of the SANFL season with extended stints in the midfield. He's never going to be an endurance athlete ala McHenry, but what I saw in the SANFL showed to me he has something to offer at AFL level.
That's all well and good but small forwards are expected to bring the heat defensively just as much as the offensive side of their game, their job is too lock the ball into the scoring zone just as much as it is to kick the goals. There's absolutely no doubt Tyson has the offensive side of his game down pat but there are still plenty of questions to be asked of his defensive application and fitness is a prime part of that..

1411%20Fogarty.jpg

more here - https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-11-14/gallery-training-november-14

Good presser from Nicks.

Saying all the right things.

Head of football:
will be appointed soon but not rushing if they can't get the right person. Dept is in place and can function well until appointed.

Senior assistant:
people we have are good. They will be there next year, locked. Senior assistant can wait, more important to give line coaches ability to perform their roles.

Godden - mid
Doc - ruck
Hart - fwd
Matner - def
Younie - dev

List management:
Not massively hands on for list management. Reid, Ogilve have put the work in trust them.
Key attributes focus for Nicks - character, speed, leadership. Players that make others better around them.

Impressed with veterans coming back early.
Bryce, Lynch, Tex. Expect Bryce to play big minutes between mid and half back. Tex a chance for wing if he can play the role.

Young players:
Jones, McHenry, Stengle will get their shot.
Frampton to put his best foot forward.

Doedee- main group.

Leadership and captain:
Group decision

There's not much excuse for giving Hart another shot. They've known for ages now he's no good, they should have had a replacement lined up even before the review started.
I get the feeling this was part of the review findings that surprised Burton.

Having to look for replacement staff in June at the latest.

Getting the best in the business doesn't happen in September after the finals. It's like list management, it's an ongoing process that starts 12-18 months out

So let me get this right.

We've got a brand new untried coach, without a Senior Assistant; our line coaches are unchanged despite it being obvious that Ben Hart is out of his depth; and we don't have a Head of Football on day one of pre-season.

We are dead set taking the piss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back