Pies to target Key position forward in National Draft in November

Remove this Banner Ad

What a waste. Should have gone for a KPF. They are gods.
You know what? If pick 5 had been used on the dual Coleman winning, 3x AA, Josh Kennedy who hasn’t kicked less than 40 goals in a year in the past 7 years, I don’t think anyone would be complaining....

No, we had pick 5 that year which we used on Pendles. Our compo pick was before the first round. Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn all received priority picks in 05 which ended up being Murphy, Thomas and Ellis. This was back in the day when the AFL handed out priority picks like they were candy. Fair to say that Carlton picked well with Murphy and Kennedy (although they gave him away for Judd like idiots), we nailed it with Thomas and Pendles and the Hawks completely wasted their picks on Ellis and Dowler.
True. But if you take away the compo picks, we would have had Pick 2 and no Pick 5.

Take away our compo pick but leave Carlton’s and Hawthorns and we have pick 4.
If you take away the system which we benefitted from, which i thought was the context, we miss out on Pendles, unless we actually rated Pendles higher than Thomas. Either way I'm glad we had them both - fabulous players.

If you take away the system which we benefitted from, which i thought was the context, we miss out on Pendles, unless we actually rated Pendles higher than Thomas. Either way I'm glad we had them both - fabulous players.
I’m actually certain I remember Hine saying that we did rate Pendles higher but we knew Thomas would be gone by 5 and Pendles was close to a certainty to still be there.

More likely to get a decent quick than a decent key position that deep in the draft

According to the Pies Website,Collingwood will be targeting a Key Position Forward in the National Draft.

With Pick 35 we are targeting, Mitch Georgiardis

Others on the radar are Brock Smith,Thomson Dow, Hugo Ralphsmith.

Any intel on any or all these players guys and gals ?????
Sadly, when we have our first pick at 33, the best key position forward will probably be a project player, rather than anyone likely to succeed

No, we had pick 5 that year which we used on Pendles. Our compo pick was before the first round. Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn all received priority picks in 05 which ended up being Murphy, Thomas and Ellis. This was back in the day when the AFL handed out priority picks like they were candy. Fair to say that Carlton picked well with Murphy and Kennedy (although they gave him away for Judd like idiots), we nailed it with Thomas and Pendles and the Hawks completely wasted their picks on Ellis and Dowler.
For the sake of the argument re Collingwood getting screwed by the AFL system your point was correct about us benefitting with pick 2 and 5. Take away the system and we are left with pick 2 and especially after his TAC cup finals I think we pick Daisy.

Hawks screwed up that year but nailed Rough/Buddy prior so could afford it

For the sake of the argument re Collingwood getting screwed by the AFL system your point was correct about us benefitting with pick 2 and 5. Take away the system and we are left with pick 2 and especially after his TAC cup finals I think we pick Daisy.

Hawks screwed up that year but nailed Rough/Buddy prior so could afford it
Bloody tough gig recruiting. At the time, everyone seemed to consider Pendles to be a poor man's Xavier Ellis. I wonder who we would have taken if we had have the choice between those 2.

At pick 35

At least one of Georgiades,Ralphsmith,or Jake Riccardi should be available.....All young kp players.....

At pick 35

At least one of Georgiades,Ralphsmith,or Jake Riccardi should be available.....All young kp players.....
If Ralphsmith is KPP then by that metric we’re already playing 5 KPP in our forward line already. And Georgiades is borderline at best.

Jones and Hilder the only 196'ers around our pick, the rest are runts and rucks.

I've watched about 5 draftee videos and decided I'm going to be furious if we don't get either Pickett or Riccardi.

Pickett becasue he looks electric.

Riccardi hasn't fully filled it out yet but he has an upright chest puff reminiscent of Jono Brown. If you listen to this interview

he's evengot Brown's speech patterns and cliches. Bonus points for "Hendo" "cement my spot" "it's gone from there" "taste of it" "pretty good footy". I'm assuming these things are part of Hine's criteria.

Make them both happen Dekka!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an aside this op is how I know our civilisation is doomed. I read stuff from Murdoch shitsheets by accident sometimes online and they are full of bogus crap wilfully misquoting or selective quoting to drive the opposite conclusion to what whoever they were going after meant. Then they wrap up hot take opinion as fact add a dash of out and out speculation as inevitable outcome. And the cherry on top is usually a supposedly inpartial source who is a paid shill for the intetest they are promoting by their hatchet job.

I look at that and think, fu**, surely nobody is taken in by that s**t? We get taught this s**t as basics in English for fu** sake, surely we have some critical thinking capacity to understand the source of written material and what is fact versus specualtion for example?

Then I see this s**t and think, were f’ed. One third of the country will just take what Rupert Murdoch thinks as gospel and another third will go several steps further than even those shills are prepared to print because they want to. And social media amplifies it exponentially. We have lost our brains and just become consumers.

I laughed watching the movie Deep Impact recently because its so implausible. I mean s**t a massive asteroid hurtling towards earth with the capacity to wipe out all life and they actually do something about it.

In real life commercial intersts with assets in bunker manufacture would use paid media shills and politicians in their pocket to wage a disinformation campaign saying there is no asteroid or its not that big or it will miss or it will hit but its really made of marshmallow to prevent meaningful action until it was too late so they could charge as much as possible for a back hoe. 62% of the population are in favour of marshmallow so they are totally on board.

Meanwhile churches would lobby for energency powers for them and the immediate introduction of Leviticus into law so they could pray real hard for salvation while sectetly welcoming this as the end times spoken of sure in the knowledge the rapture will save them.

There would be no space ship to save us because all the engineers have been sacked by NASA and replaced by pr people who can explain why the president wasnt wrong when he mistook Jupiter for Mars and Venus for a small country in central africa.

Meanwhile the rest of us will be on social media livetweeting #endoftheworld #watchusfry

Brilliant.

Lost me at Deep Impact. You get Bruce Willis in Armageddon, and Harry doesn't know how to fail!

Guys don't worry too much about pick 35.We will get best available but i believe it will be a kp player not a midfielder or crumbing forward.

A young kp forward to help relieve Coxy and Mihocek at low cost will do just fine.

Pick ???????? No one ones how all these picks will turn out.

There are many scenarios when picks 30-60 have turned out gems and other top 1-20 picks have been DUDS and vice a versa.

Everyone gets caught up in the unknowns.

If i had my way i wouldn't worry about the unknowns i would sign all our stars keep the hard workers and throw big $$$$$$$ at somone like a Jeremy Cameron or some of that ilk.Cos i know waht i'm getting .The kids are all speculative plus they take years to develop.

Dp you really thimk the tigers would have won the Flag this year without LYNCH ????????????? No way in hell,they would have have made the grnad final without him.

Guys don't worry too much about pick 35.We will get best available but i believe it will be a kp player not a midfielder or crumbing forward.

A young kp forward to help relieve Coxy and Mihocek at low cost will do just fine.

Pick ???????? No one ones how all these picks will turn out.

There are many scenarios when picks 30-60 have turned out gems and other top 1-20 picks have been DUDS and vice a versa.

Everyone gets caught up in the unknowns.

If i had my way i wouldn't worry about the unknowns i would sign all our stars keep the hard workers and throw big $$$$$$$ at somone like a Jeremy Cameron or some of that ilk.Cos i know waht i'm getting .The kids are all speculative plus they take years to develop.

Dp you really thimk the tigers would have won the Flag this year without LYNCH ????????????? No way in hell,they would have have made the grnad final without him.
I think they would have won it anyway, but we'll never know.

I’m not sure they would have even made top 4 without Lynch. He was incredibly important for them when Reiwoldt went down. I’m sure they would have lost a few more games at minimum if they were forced to play without a key forward.

I’m not sure they would have even made top 4 without Lynch. He was incredibly important for them when Reiwoldt went down. I’m sure they would have lost a few more games at minimum if they were forced to play without a key forward.

Slightly off topic from the op, but we are talking about a system based team. Lynch or no Lynch they had their "form" going in, only WC or Pies were going to stop them.

If we continued our form from the QF it would've been an each way bet and WC who knows, they took the tigs to the line on a wet day at the same ground just weeks earlier when the tigs were already rolling.

This is why I question whether if we had a bona fide quality KPF would've been the difference. Ok it's fair speculation that could've dragged us another cup just as much we are as much a system team as the tigs are.

I maintain we don't have the list quality of the likes of giants or WC and debatable against the tigs - yet our system has kept us in contention. Reckon we would've given it a shake and could've won if we got in this year. Even without a big fish KPF.

Slightly off topic from the op, but we are talking about a system based team. Lynch or no Lynch they had their "form" going in, only WC or Pies were going to stop them.

If we continued our form from the QF it would've been an each way bet and WC who knows, they took the tigs to the line on a wet day at the same ground just weeks earlier when the tigs were already rolling.

This is why I question whether if we had a bona fide quality KPF would've been the difference. Ok it's fair speculation that could've dragged us another cup just as much we are as much a system team as the tigs are.

I maintain we don't have the list quality of the likes of giants or WC and debatable against the tigs - yet our system has kept us in contention. Reckon we would've given it a shake and could've won if we got in this year. Even without a big fish KPF.
Correct re system teams.

Plug and play as required.

No irreplaceable pieces on the board but a multitude of variable options makes for a durable and hard to pin down team.

Look at the last few years of Clokey's reign as key forward to see what is wrong with having king pins.

Made us far too predictable and allowed others to bottle us up.

During those last few years almost without exception our most powerful games were when Cloke was sidelined.

You could be right. TBH, I didn't watch them much in the first half of the year, as like a mug or a wishful thinker, I'd written them off early. I was only thinking about the Geelong final, which a lot of people think they wouldn't have won without Lynch, I personally think that they would have won that game without big Tom, but we'll never really know.

Correct re system teams.

Plug and play as required.

No irreplaceable pieces on the board but a multitude of variable options makes for a durable and hard to pin down team

Look at the last few years of Clokey's reign as key forward to see what is wrong with having king pins.

Made us far too predictable and allowed others to bottle us up.

During those last few years almost without exception our most powerful games were when Cloke was sidelined.

Good systems work for a while, but unless the players are flexible guns who can think on their feet, they're easy to pin down once you've worked out their system. In 2018, we had a backwards triangle system which used handball to free up a bloke in defence. It was studied and shut down pretty easily in 2019

Yes but their ‘system’ was very reliant on at least one dominant tall being able to mark, or bring the ball to ground for their smalls. I’m not convinced that the likes of Balta, Chol and co. would have been able to adequately fill that role.

Good systems work for a while, but unless the players are flexible guns who can think on their feet, they're easy to pin down once you've worked out their system. In 2018, we had a backwards triangle system which used handball to free up a bloke in defence. It was studied and shut down pretty easily in 2019
Same for champion forwards sr

NOTHING works flawlessly

BUT

Relying on a few key players makes a team hideously vulnerable.

The key to sustained success is to think of new tactics first and be ready to abandon them for newer tactics BEFORE they are worked out.

Watch the '90 GF closely . . .

I have it on hard disc and have studied it carefully.

Remember our previous outing against the bombers in that finals series?

Brown killed them.

Who did they target in the GF?

Brown . . and they got him too.

It didn't work because others found a way to stand up but in most cases it would.

Options and flexibility are the keys - marquee players are great for the idiot media and the even dopier sponsors but it's the machine that carries all before it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back