Discussion Random Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm just self interested. The average age a Aussie kid leaves home now is getting later and later. I love my kids but I don't want them at home after they finish uni.

I am 25 and am moving out next month. I've just got a job in the field i studied after 18 months of applications. Its tough out there.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
I am 25 and am moving out next month. I've just got a job in the field i studied after 18 months of applications. Its tough out there.
I guess people’s attitudes vary depending on a number of factors including cultural backgrounds.

Personally I like having my kids around and selfishly I’m always sad when one flys the nest, I know it can be important for their development but I’m not pushing mine out. Given how much longer kids spend studying then finding a suitable job and perhaps saving some money to get their feet under them the increase in age seems fair enough to me.

If your parents are happy and your happy then what’s the problem, I guess it would be different if you just sat on your bum and weren’t actively studying, working or looking for work. The people next door to me have a married son at home with two kids, he’s finishing his PhD. I was talking to his dad the other day, they love having him and the grandkids there and will probably downsize if they decide to buy their own place. It’s five bedrooms what are they going to do rattling around that on their own.

Horses for courses if it works for you then I don’t see a problem, we’ll probably see more of this with predictions of young people renting for life.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Didn't the word ersatz come from WWII Krauts eating gunpowder as salt and pepper and stuff?
Ersatz sumply means substitute. From coffee, Gringo. Roasted and ground nettles replaced the old Kaffee.

My old man who fought, told me amphetamines, which they were allocated to maintain "Blitzkrieg", was the average soldiers' weapon of choice. The French didn't work it out until it was too late.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Ersatz sumply means substitute. From coffee, Gringo. Roasted and ground nettles replaced the old Kaffee.

My old man who fought, told me amphetamines, which they were allocated to maintain "Blitzkrieg", was the average soldiers' weapon of choice. The French didn't work it out until it was too late.

I got banned on FaceBook yesterday. I took part in an online quiz. The question was, "Who won the 1940 Tour de France?" Apparently, the 5th Panzer Division of the Wehrmacht was not the answer they were looking for. I'll let myself out.

Oct 5, 2013
Swifts Creek
AFL Club
St Kilda

there's records of German soldiers going non stop for 10 days during the invasion of France, and yes the French had no answer, their expectation of military conflict was based on "normal" behaviours, by the time the Battle of Britain came about the Poms were using Benzedrine on their pilots which worked better as the after effects were much kinder than methamphetamines that were endemic not just for soldiers but for the German populace as well.

Blitzed by Norman Ohler is a good if fractured read

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
there's records of German soldiers going non stop for 10 days during the invasion of France, and yes the French had no answer, their expectation of military conflict was based on "normal" behaviours, by the time the Battle of Britain came about the Poms were using Benzedrine on their pilots which worked better as the after effects were much kinder than methamphetamines that were endemic not just for soldiers but for the German populace as well.

Blitzed by Norman Ohler is a good if fractured read
Yep. I've read it, MD. I didn't believe the old man when he told me. He's long dead now, but "Blitzed" set me straight on that one!

Oct 5, 2013
Swifts Creek
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've been wondering about the choice between elite level sports specifically cricket and football, did anyone here have to make that choice or have a hand in someone else making that choice?
What were the factors, money, lifestyle, future, ability, phsychology and how were they more or less important?

I've been wondering about the choice between elite level sports specifically cricket and football, did anyone here have to make that choice or have a hand in someone else making that choice?
What were the factors, money, lifestyle, future, ability, phsychology and how were they more or less important?

I told Robert Harvey that Cricket was boring and footy was the way to go, but for god sake do some extra jogging to get fit.

Becoming Vegan or cutting down on your own personal meat consumption could be the single most effective action that you can do to help reduce green house gas emissions. Really??

In the USA, agriculture represents 9% of total Greenhouse gas emissions. Ruminants, such as cows, represent 1/3 of that 9% figure i.e. 3%.
Yep... give up meat. Then you can feel good about yourself while you are driving to work alone and flying around the world. Maybe, just maybe, focusing on the other 91% may have a bigger impact.
While I'm on the topic of vegans, I keep hearing about the benefits of vegan diets, but I have never seen one double blind study that actual proves the efficacy of such a diet. However; there seems to be a never ending stream of observational studies (as good as useless) funded by corporations with a vested interest in selling non meat alternatives making their way into the media
Still on my high horse, how the *#^! does Sanitarium Health Foods, owned by the Seventh Day Adventist Church, get away with operating as a charity, and therefore exempt from paying company tax in Australia.

1573778537862.png

Oct 5, 2013
Swifts Creek
AFL Club
St Kilda
Becoming Vegan or cutting down on your own personal meat consumption could be the single most effective action that you can do to help reduce green house gas emissions. Really??

In the USA, agriculture represents 9% of total Greenhouse gas emissions. Ruminants, such as cows, represent 1/3 of that 9% figure i.e. 3%.
Yep... give up meat. Then you can feel good about yourself while you are driving to work alone and flying around the world. Maybe, just maybe, focusing on the other 91% may have a bigger impact.
While I'm on the topic of vegans, I keep hearing about the benefits of vegan diets, but I have never seen one double blind study that actual proves the efficacy of such a diet. However; there seems to be a never ending stream of observational studies (as good as useless) funded by corporations with a vested interest in selling non meat alternatives making their way into the media
Still on my high horse, how the *#^! does Sanitarium Health Foods, owned by the Seventh Day Adventist Church, get away with operating as a charity, and therefore exempt from paying company tax in Australia.

View attachment 779421

Some more problems with these numbers. These are USA numbers with a high % of feed lot or grain fed (mainly soy) cattle that greatly increase the methane numbers the opposite is true in Aus with a high percentage of grass fed cattle.

Further muddying the waters is water, the differences between the uses and availability of blue water, green water, grey water and desal water, access to water and access to water types all have a huge impact on the type of farming undertaken. Cattle for meat are generally farmed on land that isn't arable and a greater proportion of blue water, where as crops are found on best flat land with great access and high usage of green water.

It should be noted that a lot of tomatoes are grown in S Aus in virtual desert but with desal water.

Keep on your high horse, no religious institution, and their associated businesses pay taxes, hospitals, private schools, property, even car washes. The Catholic Church for example owns large amounts of Fitzroy (50%?), collecting rents on which thet pay no tax, same with C of E in Hawthorn and Kew.

It's well known that the Catholic Church is the largest land owner on earth, the interesting bit is that the property is still valued at it's original value, so if land was donated or bought in 1200 AD or 1800 AD, it's book value remains that original price. How that affects the payment of rates I have no idea. Working out what the church is worth is an almost pointless exercise, but the Arch Diocese of Sydney under this scheme has a value of 12 billion. What it's really worth God only knows.

Some more problems with these numbers. These are USA numbers with a high % of feed lot or grain fed (mainly soy) cattle that greatly increase the methane numbers the opposite is true in Aus with a high percentage of grass fed cattle.

Further muddying the waters is water, the differences between the uses and availability of blue water, green water, grey water and desal water, access to water and access to water types all have a huge impact on the type of farming undertaken. Cattle for meat are generally farmed on land that isn't arable and a greater proportion of blue water, where as crops are found on best flat land with great access and high usage of green water.

It should be noted that a lot of tomatoes are grown in S Aus in virtual desert but with desal water.

Keep on your high horse, no religious institution, and their associated businesses pay taxes, hospitals, private schools, property, even car washes. The Catholic Church for example owns large amounts of Fitzroy (50%?), collecting rents on which thet pay no tax, same with C of E in Hawthorn and Kew.

It's well known that the Catholic Church is the largest land owner on earth, the interesting bit is that the property is still valued at it's original value, so if land was donated or bought in 1200 AD or 1800 AD, it's book value remains that original price. How that affects the payment of rates I have no idea. Working out what the church is worth is an almost pointless exercise, but the Arch Diocese of Sydney under this scheme has a value of 12 billion. What it's really worth God only knows.
I echo your thoughts MD. Having recently returned from Italy, I can only describe the wealth of the Catholic Church as obscene.
Further to the cattle v crops discussion, single crop agriculture not only requires large amounts of water, but to be profitable, it also requires the use of pesticides and large amounts of chemical fertilizers.... but somehow it is cattle that are vilified.

Say land was valued at what equates to $100 in todays age, but its actual value was $.01.
On such value in todays age for $100, you would pay 10% or $10, if in original value however you would pay $0, because the value is 0.1c.

So in effect, you pay no rates for the land as its value is useless, despite it being a multi-million investment these days in prime commercial space as the value has changed to reflect it being a marsh, or a bog, or...

So you get donations, with no cost, and you then only have operation expenses and services, such as water and gas.

The value is in the land, what came before, what comes after largely irrelevant if the land is still viable and in location for people, mineral, gas, water, utility, the greater the apparent growth, the greater the value, if you diminish this value, you diminish cost from owner, in this case state or nation.

Imagine if instead of stating traditional ownership, the Aboriginal population got original value of land owned and you'd run into a new ruling class of society due to fractured class systems on original land value when only they inhabited it after split from Pangaea.

They'd be more worthy of such things rather then a systemic infestation of belief systems.

Oct 5, 2013
Swifts Creek
AFL Club
St Kilda
I echo your thoughts MD. Having recently returned from Italy, I can only describe the wealth of the Catholic Church as obscene.
Further to the cattle v crops discussion, single crop agriculture not only requires large amounts of water, but to be profitable, it also requires the use of pesticides and large amounts of chemical fertilizers.... but somehow it is cattle that are vilified.
Heyup BPF, it's a sad realty of being human that we have emotions and then rationalise them, a bit like having a monkey trying to ride an elephant, the elephants not really interested in the monkey and vice versa, and then something goes wrong, the elephant is outraged and the monkey ain't that bright but their gonna come up with an answer and God help anyone that gets in the way.

I'm so bored and disinterested in the arguments of politicians and polemicists, the believers and the virtue signallers, we have terrible problems and until the nature of the problem is understood an answer won't be found. So with much trepidation.

The current fire season.
Everyone is having an opinion, finding away to justify their own dogma and blame some other bastard, but what if they're all wrong and all right at the same time, and that nothing anyone is doing or saying or proposing will fix anything, because they don't understand the basic problem. One way of looking at these fires is us.

The tragedy of modern humans is that we only see ourselves as the good guys, strangely as we expanded out of Africa everywhere we went megafauna died out protohumans died out and localised climate change occurred which then becomes the answer for why the megafauna died out. Strange that the same pattern of extinction happened when modern man turned up every time, always local, isolated and unexperienced where modern man wasn't. Strange that we'd had 60 million years of evolution without an extinction event, plenty of climate change but only when modern man got there did things change. Also strange that these patterns of extinction and climate change didn't occur when Neanderthal or any of the other proto humans arrived, only for modern humans.

So if we looked at Australia, not at what the land looked like 30 years ago or 100 or 200, but we go back 80,000 years. You could draw a line across Australia from Brisbane and Nth of that was forested, south of that was open grassland, only 10% of that forest was eucalypt and any where you see eucalypt don't think Gum tree think fire regenerative. Within a few short thousand years the continent is completely transformed, 80% of the megafauna is extinct and the forest balance is now 90% eucalypt and 10% other.

Now the landscape is primed to burn, gum leaves don't breakdown for at least 6 years every year becoming dryer and more flammable. Unlike deciduous trees who's leaves start to breakdown in a season and fertilize the soil, gums are designed to burn and when they burn they burn off phosphates and nitrates and make the soil more barren which really suits eucalypt trees and not much else, every time the forest burns it becomes more likely to burn in the future because it is dryer and has more gum trees in it.

So when the Greens blame the Coalition for climate change policy, when the Coalition blame the Greens for forest management policy, when everyone wants fuel reduction burns, I say FCUK that I want to cut the gum trees down or when they burn down don't replant eucalypts plant Casuarinas or Native Pines fruit tress any thing but bloody eucalypts, Huon pines, Myrtle Beeches, there's thousands of trees that don't regenerate with fire plant them and make sure they grow, instead of dry forest create wet forests, and if that means we have to bring elephants and rhino in, if we should have lynx and hyena, bear and lion to have a balanced ecology then lets do it.

Because we've been burning the crap out of this place for 60,000 years, because every where we look there is no such thing as an environment untouched by human hand, the animals that would have regulated it have been extinct for 50,000 years, the carnivores that would have regulated the massive herbivores are extinct too, and all we've replaced them with is fire.

Oct 5, 2013
Swifts Creek
AFL Club
St Kilda
Say land was valued at what equates to $100 in todays age, but its actual value was $.01.
On such value in todays age for $100, you would pay 10% or $10, if in original value however you would pay $0, because the value is 0.1c.

So in effect, you pay no rates for the land as its value is useless, despite it being a multi-million investment these days in prime commercial space as the value has changed to reflect it being a marsh, or a bog, or...

So you get donations, with no cost, and you then only have operation expenses and services, such as water and gas.

The value is in the land, what came before, what comes after largely irrelevant if the land is still viable and in location for people, mineral, gas, water, utility, the greater the apparent growth, the greater the value, if you diminish this value, you diminish cost from owner, in this case state or nation.

Imagine if instead of stating traditional ownership, the Aboriginal population got original value of land owned and you'd run into a new ruling class of society due to fractured class systems on original land value when only they inhabited it after split from Pangaea.

They'd be more worthy of such things rather then a systemic infestation of belief systems.
I agree with your understanding of the problem but can't agree with your answer for it.

View attachment 779421

If everyone suddenly stopped eating meat, surely all the vegans will adopt those cows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back