• Return just Fitzroy

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Return just Sth Melb

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Leave them at Sydney and Brisbane

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Lake Oval today has been run over by the soccer ****.

Cute language. Maybe if you knew your history, South Melbourne Soccer Club was given use of the Lake Oval in return for giving up their Middle Park ground so part of the Formula 1 track and pit lane facilities could be built in 1995 seeing as the Lake Oval wasn't being used in any full time capacity at the time. They have since ceded control to the State Sport Centre Trust when the VIS and Athletics Victoria moved from Olympic Park to the Lake Oval when the running track was built in 2010 so Collingwood could take over Olympic Park as its training oval once AAMI Park was built.

Also Lake Oval has a running track around it, but I've seen cheap technologies that they could use to easily convert the ground and then convert it back.

Sure you can cover the running track in artificial or natural grass, but it doesn't remove any of the danger of the track being there. The AFL and AFLPA would never allow for a match to be played over the top of a running track due the uneven hardness of the playing surface. The track would have to be removed first and that's not going to happen.

Cute language. Maybe if you knew your history, South Melbourne Soccer Club was given use of the Lake Oval in return for giving up their Middle Park ground so part of the Formula 1 track and pit lane facilities could be built in 1995 seeing as the Lake Oval wasn't being used in any full time capacity at the time. They have since ceded control to the State Sport Centre Trust when the VIS and Athletics Victoria moved from Olympic Park to the Lake Oval when the running track was built in 2010 so Collingwood could take over Olympic Park as its training oval once AAMI Park was built.

Sure you can cover the running track in artificial or natural grass, but it doesn't remove any of the danger of the track being there. The AFL and AFLPA would never allow for a match to be played over the top of a running track due the uneven hardness of the playing surface. The track would have to be removed first and that's not going to happen.
1. I'm just saying it as a joke, don't take it seriously.
2. At the school we had a similar running track, what they used was some sort of tarp thing with a grass sheet on the top, it was all cushioned you wouldn't even know there was a track under it. Also please just don't start an argument over if they would do it or not, if you want a fight do it on a more realistic thread.

Last edited:
1. I'm just saying it as a joke, don't take it seriously.

If you want to throw slurs around as a "joke" then I will address it as seriously as I like. But hey good to see you ignored the rest of my point about the Lake Oval and focused on your wrong doing.

2. At the school we had a similar running track, what they used was some sort of tarp thing with a grass sheet on the top, it was all cushioned you wouldn't even know there was a track under it.

So some sort of tarp with artificial grass on top. That is not safe for AFL level play (for kids it might be) and won't even be considered as a viable playing surface for the reason I said above plus the issues the AFL has had with knee injuries at Marvel Stadium and its artificial grass outside the boundary line. You have to be realistic in what is and isn't possible. Just because you did something at school doesn't mean you can do it at a professional level (heck for me that would mean playing AFL matches on concrete).

Also please just don't start an argument over if they would do it or not, if you want a fight do it on a more realistic thread.

You seem to think that you have the final say in how people can response to you. Pity that isn't the case. Just because you have ideas doesn't mean you can post them unchallenged. If you want that, may I suggest either starting your own blog or forum away from this site?

Last edited:

If you want to throw slurs around as a "joke" then I will address it as seriously as I like. But hey good to see you ignored the rest of my point about the Lake Oval and focused on your wrong doing.
Gee, ok, I'm sure your that one guy on a "things that ... supporters sook about" thread that take things seriously.
So some sort of tarp with artificial grass on top. That is not safe for AFL level play (for kids it might be) and won't even be considered as a viable playing surface for the reason I said above plus the issues the AFL has had with knee injuries at Marvel Stadium and its artificial grass outside the boundary line. You have to be realistic in what is and isn't possible. Just because you did something at school doesn't mean you can do it at a professional level (heck for me that would mean playing AFL matches on concrete).
It was not synthetic grass though, it was a real sheet of grass over the tarp, they would lay it out and the back of the school to keep the grass growing and in footy season they would put it over the oval.
and that cushioning was really good, I can remember getting absolutely drilled to the ground (by that one fat kid) and it not hurting that bad, it fact it was better than on normal grass.
You seem to think that you have the final say in how people can response to you. Pity that isn't the case. Just because you have ideas doesn't mean you can post them unchallenged. If you want that, may I suggest either starting your own blog or forum away from this site?
Take a look at this thread, I'm tired of fighting, I'm perfectly fine with you disagreeing but at least do it in a constructive manner, I want to have a conversation not a shouting match.

WHY, there is too much footy in Melbourne already, games sent to Ballarat, Hobart, Launceston, Alice Springs, Darwin, Cairns, Townsville .... you dont need to pull footy from NSW & Q., even tried to move games out of Melbourne to NZ (they wouldnt pay so it failed) & its a St Kilda game that goes to China.

Resurrect Fitzroy, why not University?

Address WHY there is too much footy in Melbourne.

There's never too much footy!

VFL participation is a remote possibility, but Fitzroy will never be back in the AFL in its own right. Under any circumstances.

The Brisbane Lions will continue to represent Fitzroy's AFL identity in the AFL and Fitzroy supporters can decide whether to support the Brisbane Lions on the basis of that.

Slightly off topic, but if I were in your shoes I'd be snubbing the AFL. Even not entirely HQ's fault the end result is still the end result, your team is not in the comp anymore.

If it were my club I'd say * ewe AFL and follow my team (as you have) but would give zero support to the AFL.

Nah tell em to GAGF.

Slightly off topic, but if I were in your shoes I'd be snubbing the AFL. Even not entirely HQ's fault the end result is still the end result, your team is not in the comp anymore.

It's easy to say, but until it happens on never realy knows. Essentially at the end of 1996 I had three choices.
- never have anything to do with the AFL again
- pick another AFL club to support
- follow an AFL club that had vestiges of the identity of the AFL club I supported.

Remember also that from 1997-2008, Fitzroy did not have an on-field presence to support.

In the end I chose the third. Fitzroy supporters have gone all three ways. Some started off with 1 and have drifted to 2 or 3 over time.

From 2008, I support both my original club and the current AFL Club that most resembles my original AFL club. They play in different competitions so that support doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

It's easy to say, but until it happens on never realy knows. Essentially at the end of 1996 I had three choices.
- follow an AFL club that had vestiges of the identity of the AFL club I supported.

Remember also that from 1997-2008, Fitzroy did not have an on-field presence to support.

In the end I chose the third. Fitzroy supporters have gone all three ways. Some started off with 1 and have drifted to 2 or 3 over time.

From 2008, I support both my original club and the current AFL Club that most resembles my original AFL club. They play in different competitions so that support doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

I see you've come to accept compromise....................... even though the fan, particularly a paying member shouldn't have to.

How I wish it was handled (which mind you is rather unrealistic), is that it was a "temporary" merger, a compromise until both clubs could find their feet. Although this may of been a bit hard to pull off, especially with a QLD club.

How I wish it was handled (which mind you is rather unrealistic), is that it was a "temporary" merger, a compromise until both clubs could find their feet.

Why would the Brisbane Bears have entertained that? They made the finals in 1995-1996. Crowds were on the rise, finances were improving

I see you've come to accept compromise....................... even though the fan, particularly a paying member shouldn't have to.

Life is about compromises. Not everything in life goes your way 100% of the time. I chose voluntarily to accept the hand that was dealt in the AFL. No one is forcing me to pay any money. If I do, I choose to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would the Brisbane Bears have entertained that? They made the finals in 1995-1996. Crowds were on the rise, finances were improving
Hey can I ask you a question, this has nothing to do with possibility or however likely it is. If the AFL approached Fitzroy and said "we'll give you ...million dollars to make it into the VFL and if can build your club up quickly we will look into an AFL FFC side"
You very knowledgeable on the Fitzroy subject, how would you respond and go about it?

Hey can I ask you a question, this has nothing to do with possibility or however likely it is. If the AFL approached Fitzroy and said "we'll give you ...million dollars to make it into the VFL and if can build your club up quickly we will look into an AFL FFC side"
You very knowledgeable on the Fitzroy subject, how would you respond and go about it?

Need more than a million dollars. Player payments for a VFL standard list in one year would take at least half that.

Need more than a million dollars. Player payments for a VFL standard list in one year would take at least half that.
Yes I agree but I mean however many million dollars to make it work, regardless of it being worthy investment
Which by the way "might" just be possible

There's never too much footy!

perhaps its about price, price people are prepared to pay, price of opening the venue.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly my relationship with Subi/the Eagles.

I'm one of those fans who see both WA clubs as integral to a national comp & as we all know, even our own club have a moron fringe, many of whom post on the main board.
Oh I agree with you, but as a Westcoast supporter you have to agree that there are some angry Freo supporters on BF

perhaps its about price, price people are prepared to pay, price of opening the venue.

[/QUOTE]

Price? It seems the appetite for footy at least in footy heartland is insatiable. Price has little relevance.

As far as Subi goes they're still in the same comp and just went back to back, they were never "merged" like Bris and Fitzroy were and then outed from the comp. - pretty hard to correlate the two. One is a good time story the other has been "banished" to the amateurs, pretty sure Fitzroy supporters would rather their team could've stayed in the comp.

Price? It seems the appetite for footy at least in footy heartland is insatiable. Price has little relevance.

As far as Subi goes they're still in the same comp and just went back to back, they were never "merged" like Bris and Fitzroy were and then outed from the comp. - pretty hard to correlate the two. One is a good time story the other has been "banished" to the amateurs, pretty sure Fitzroy supporters would rather their team could've stayed in the comp.
[/QUOTE]

Understand your view, for me its about the game at the highest level, it was Subi & then over the 1987 pre season it wasnt. I could still go to Subi & watch the best of the 1986 premiership players just wearing an Eagles jumper, was a confusing time for allegiances 1987.
Go back to the 30s & the then best player in the game Haydn Bunton Snr pulled on the Subi guernsey. Walking away from the VFL didnt lessen his ability as some NEED to imply.
I remember a young Mike Fitzpatrick in the early 70s had a new car Subi supporters called Blue after the Melbourne club chasing his signature.

Follow Subi to this day, didnt have any thing like the success of the current era possibly because we were the last of the WAFL clubs to get a licenced club rooms, ironic as that was whilst the Eagles played as Subi.

I also understand the Lions dilemma, WAFL fans took a few years to reconnect too.

This is never happening. Oakley said in the 80-90s that there were way too many teams in Victoria and now your saying there needs to be more????

This is never happening. Oakley said in the 80-90s that there were way too many teams in Victoria and now your saying there needs to be more????
I don't know why people think someone would be delusional enough to think this, this would be more or so theorising.

Last edited:
Back