Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Love those numbers above. As has been stated, struggles to find the easy ball. But imo it’s easier to teach a player to get loose ball than it is to teach the hard stuff. He goes in like a bull, really crunches his tackles. Has all the tools, just need to build his tank which is what has held him back as he would fade out of games. They also trialled him in quite a few different roles throughout the year. Riley will be a gun

Whats RCD change of direction like in close contested situations??

I think if he can negate a forward with his height, reach, speed, this a starting point. The extra stuff and midfield effectiveness can be worked on.

He is only young, plenty of time.

Even though RCD might develop into a gun I do not see him as a Cripps clone. He seems to be more of a burst runner for starters

I think he is a bit like Dangerfield more so than Cripps in how he plays. If his endurance can improve might open up more roles

Last edited:

RCDs big issue was he came into the AFL with a poor endurance base having played as a forward for most of his draft year because of his size. He was in the bottom 20% for the 2km time trial at the combine, yet one summer at Richmond saw him able to play mainly in the midfield for the VFL season, with occasional stints up forward. What he has done though has shown that he doesn't need 25-30 disposals to be a damaging player. A 15-20 disposal game from him will involve 5-6 clearances in which he will get the ball out to the outside types, which he did plenty of times at VFL level.

It's funny how a successful Richmond side makes for a different expectation of first round draftees. Instead of expecting them to come in and be the saviours of the side we can now develop him properly so that when he does come into the AFL side he'll do so ready to play as a big bodied inside midfielder in the same way Clayton Oliver does. I have no doubt he will be putting kms into the legs as well as improving his strength and we'll get to see a much more consistent player in 2020. May not become an AFL regular given our midfield is among the best in the league, but he will get his chances and will erase the doubts people have about him.

I think if he can negate a forward with his height, reach, speed, this a starting point. The extra stuff and midfield effectiveness can be worked on.

Even though RCD might develop into a gun I do not see him as a Cripps clone. He seems to be more of a burst runner for starters

More Fyfe than Cripps :moustache:

It's funny how a successful Richmond side makes for a different expectation of first round draftees. Instead of expecting them to come in and be the saviours of the side we can now develop him properly so that when he does come into the AFL side he'll do so ready to play as a big bodied inside midfielder in the same way Clayton Oliver does.

The only down side is the like of Ross or CCJ might be annoyed the cant get senior games

Everyone needs to pull back regarding this kid. He is unlikely to ever reach the standard of those you've mentioned.

Reason is he doesn't find his own football. He has low possession numbers and in almost ever piece of play, he is receiving a handball. I was shocked we drafted him with his low numbers and a player like Ross is far more likely to reach a high standard. I hope I'm wrong and the kid kills it but I am not one who thinks he'll be a star.

I think he would be better served as a HBF type, going past and receiving the handball - run and deliver type.

Did you happen to get along and watch any of the VFL games?

RCDs big issue was he came into the AFL with a poor endurance base having played as a forward for most of his draft year because of his size. He was in the bottom 20% for the 2km time trial at the combine, yet one summer at Richmond saw him able to play mainly in the midfield for the VFL season, with occasional stints up forward. What he has done though has shown that he doesn't need 25-30 disposals to be a damaging player. A 15-20 disposal game from him will involve 5-6 clearances in which he will get the ball out to the outside types, which he did plenty of times at VFL level.

It's funny how a successful Richmond side makes for a different expectation of first round draftees. Instead of expecting them to come in and be the saviours of the side we can now develop him properly so that when he does come into the AFL side he'll do so ready to play as a big bodied inside midfielder in the same way Clayton Oliver does. I have no doubt he will be putting kms into the legs as well as improving his strength and we'll get to see a much more consistent player in 2020. May not become an AFL regular given our midfield is among the best in the league, but he will get his chances and will erase the doubts people have about him.

It interesting you say that because he could develop into a high leading half forward who can possibly pinch hit in the middle.

I am not sure he will have and needs to have the side/core strength of Cripps to hold them off and release the ball to others like Cripps does.

Even having someone that could switch between effective half forward and half back roles could be very interesting.

He has a unique mix of attributes, theoretically he might be able to create his own role in time to be most effective for the team.

He might emerge as a higher half back than normal who can provide a wing role of a presenting option to get the ball out of the backline and then move it on. In such a field position he could go into contested situations in the middle when presenting and equally transition the ball forward with effectiveness. It would be something opposition defences would be not used to combating potentially breaking up opposition defensive set-ups

Last edited:
Collier Dawkins definitely has the tools. Next season we just have to see him doing bigger numbers.

That's what made Jack Ross so great. He was doing numbers in the 20s right from the start.
What helped Ross was he came into the AFL with a midfielders tank and a developed body, which made it easier for him to play in the midfield from the start.

What helped Ross was he came into the AFL with a midfielders tank and a developed body, which made it easier for him to play in the midfield from the start.
I seem to remember reading that young Ross had a few injuries when he came into the RFC...which makes his numbers even more impressive!

I seem to remember reading that young Ross had a few injuries when he came into the RFC...which makes his numbers even more impressive!

What stands out with Ross is his poise and ability to be unflustered.

He does the simple things well but is steady in the contest despite any pressure. He seems to be a team player as well which obviously is helpful

More Fyfe than Cripps :moustache:

The only down side is the like of Ross or CCJ might be annoyed the cant get senior games

Personally think Clayton Oliver is the best comparison. He is big and gets his arms up and is constantly able to release by hand to those on the outside, also handballs more than kicks.

But he has a great burst of speed out of packs too, which kind makes him different again.

Personally think Clayton Oliver is the best comparison. He is big and gets his arms up and is constantly able to release by hand to those on the outside, also handballs more than kicks.

But he has a great burst of speed out of packs too, which kind makes him different again.

RCD is a bit taller and stands out in the middle. RCD is listed as 5kg heavier the Oliver and is a first year player

will fill out with a couple preseasons

may or may not make it but is an excellent prospect at this stage i think. goes in hard like oliver

What stands out with Ross is his poise and ability to be unflustered.

He does the simple things well but is steady in the contest despite any pressure. He seems to be a team player as well which obviously is helpful

Ross first three games were very impressive, looks quality

Last edited:
It could be that some might be looking at RCD wrong in a way structurally. He has a number of attributes.

It might be more effective at playing through RCD when it suits as a mobile marking target when in space rather than a link runner handball receiver. So look at him playing a more mobile auxiliary KP target and if he halves the contest well he is in his contested situation and then the other runners can come and support. Almost as a back half marking transitional player. RCD could actually perform a true centre role with Dusty forward half, Cotch on ball as well as others

Extra endurance for RCD can only help either way. If RCD a more marking role in transition it allows JR to play deeper in more dangerous situations. As he improves his teammates should get more confidence going through him as an option. Also runners should get used to running off RCD contested situations and when the likes of this happen drawing players away Dusty gets more space to weave his magic in more dangerous positions.

Instead of looking at him as a C Oliver, on ball contest to contest. look at him as a poor mans N Fyfe with a blend of Danger might be the go outside the ruck contest generally.

Does anyone think RCD has prowess as a defensive high tall in terms of reading opposition play? If he can do that in a high central position could be very problematic for opposition forward lines as added central defensive support to our existing defensive setup while providing thrust when the ball is in our forward transition

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you happen to get along and watch any of the VFL games?
Yes I saw about 5 games plus finals. As I stated earlier I am not potting the kid. Just responding to comments that he'll be a star. His year was okay for a newbie but not good enough for me to label him a future champ. I think he will be a good footballer and that's it. My opinion and I hope I'm wrong. I'd love him to tear it up!

Yes I saw about 5 games plus finals. As I stated earlier I am not potting the kid. Just responding to comments that he'll be a star. His year was okay for a newbie but not good enough for me to label him a future champ. I think he will be a good footballer and that's it. My opinion and I hope I'm wrong. I'd love him to tear it up!
Fair enough. But I was asking because it seemed odd that you said he struggled to get inside contested ball, and was ok at getting outside ball, but the VFL reports said the exact opposite .

Fair enough. But I was asking because it seemed odd that you said he struggled to get inside contested ball, and was ok at getting outside ball, but the VFL reports said the exact opposite .
He was okay. As a junior his stats were low. I just think he is okay but at this stage no star.

He was okay. As a junior his stats were low. I just think he is okay but at this stage no star.
As a junior he played mainly as a key forward because of his size. Now in the AFL he is being brought up to the endurance level required to play as an inside mid.

In his first season of senior level footy he played midfield for 20 games and showed glimpses of what he's capable of.

Truth is we don't need him to be a star, our side is based around everyone playing their roles for the side. In a couple of years a midfield containing Graham Ross & RCD is going to be enjoyable to watch as they bash and crash on the inside, while we have pace to burn on the outside.

As a junior he played mainly as a key forward because of his size. Now in the AFL he is being brought up to the endurance level required to play as an inside mid.
In his first season of senior level footy he played midfield for 20 games and showed glimpses of what he's capable of.
Truth is we don't need him to be a star, our side is based around everyone playing their roles for the side. In a couple of years a midfield containing Graham Ross & RCD is going to be enjoyable to watch as they bash and crash on the inside, while we have pace to burn on the outside.
That's exactly right...but be nice if he does become a gun-star! ;)

I think he is a bit like Dangerfield more so than Cripps in how he plays. If his endurance can improve might open up more roles
Dangerfield is not a bad comparison perhaps, but to me he has a real hard attack on the player, i.e he likes to tackle and hit hard. If anything he could play the roll that Cotchin does. We all know how hard Cotchin goes at the ball and the man, but he has a great attacking burst as well which he has put away too much due to being the only mid we have that plays that defensive roll. RCD has a similar burst. Would prolong Cotchin's career also.

I think you are underselling his year somewhat. He wasn't a star Under 16 type which many of these NAB kids are. He grew 8-10cm in his first year at Under 18's, so he was never going to have the legs carrying all that extra size around like a seasoned player like Ross or Carlton's Walsh was at the same stage.
To go from U18's to inside mid against seasoned centre square VFL mids/26 year old men (Jacob Ballard types) is much harder than it sounds. And to come through at the end of the year and to have a great finals campaign shows he has what it takes. I thought he hit harder than anyone on the ground in the Prelim especially. Give him another preseason and his speed, strength and confidence will really grow.

His junior stats got better in finals, and his contested percentage was ridiculous, close to 60%. It's not true to say he doesn't win his own ball. Plenty of times he wins the hard ball in tight but because his game is to run at opponents he often runs straight into tackles, and because he's not yet strong enough to bust them, he's either caught holding the ball or it's a ball-up. I reckon this happens half a dozen times per game.

He's going to come back from a pre-season in the next few years having furnished into a powerful beast of a man, and we'll all go, 'Woah'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back