UEFA EURO 2020 (Italy Champions)

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s the point in debating someone who is at a point of denying ethnicities such as the Germanic or Celtic tribes even exist? I’m not going to bother arguing with someone who’s showing that amount of ignorance. Sorry but it’s not worth my time

What’s the point in debating someone who is at a point of denying ethnicities such as the Germanic or Celtic tribes even exist? I’m not going to bother arguing with someone who’s showing that amount of ignorance. Sorry but it’s not worth my time

Are you saying Brits are Celts ethnically? And what is Germanic? Germans? Or Germans, Dutch and Flemish? What about Prussians? Danes and other Scandinavians?

Like I said, the history of Europe is nothing but people moving around, plundering and raping, fighting wars and ruling other areas. Bringing it all back to tribes is simplistic and just not accurate.

Are you saying Brits are Celts ethnically? And what is Germanic? Germans? Or Germans, Dutch and Flemish? What about Prussians? Danes and other Scandinavians?

Like I said, the history of Europe is nothing but people moving around, plundering and raping, fighting wars and ruling other areas. Bringing it all back to tribes is simplistic and just not accurate.
When was Germany founded, and why was it called Germany? As you know Britain is primarily a mixture of celts and Anglo-Saxons. These communities were forged hundreds of years ago. Belgium was a country formed just to put a buffer on the French. You were basically a mixture of French and Dutch. The majority of Europe’s countries are somewhat mixed yes, but largely have (or had) their own separate identities which included culture, language and appearance. I’m not really seeing your point, it’s not relative to previous posts. It sounds like some left wing doctrine denying that nationhood and/or European identity has never truly existed.

And that's why the English team should be white.
When did I say the English team should be all white? Shouldn’t it be representative of the whole country? Blacks make up 50% of the current team I would say (probably 80-90% at under 23), but black/mixed race are nothing like 50% of the country’s population at that age. Everything has to be representative of society now, but clearly it’s not going to work out that way

When did I say the English team should be all white? Shouldn’t it be representative of the whole country? Blacks make up 50% of the current team I would say (probably 80-90% at under 23), but black/mixed race are nothing like 50% of the country’s population at that age. Everything has to be representative of society now, but clearly it’s not going to work out that way

Haven't people always argued that the best people should get the position? So they argue against quotas and the like but then shock horror if the best XI players in England happen to be black it's OUTRAGEOUS?

Haven't people always argued that the best people should get the position? So they argue against quotas and the like but then shock horror if the best XI players in England happen to be black it's OUTRAGEOUS?
Exactly right. You now have quotas so institutions can be more representative of society. And yes that means quality is often overlooked when positions are filled. That’s what the argument is about. But no one is actually making that point about the football team though. Of course if they did it would be said to be a racist policy. It’s an interesting facet

When was Germany founded, and why was it called Germany? As you know Britain is primarily a mixture of celts and Anglo-Saxons. These communities were forged hundreds of years ago. Belgium was a country formed just to put a buffer on the French. You were basically a mixture of French and Dutch. The majority of Europe’s countries are somewhat mixed yes, but largely have (or had) their own separate identities which included culture, language and appearance. I’m not really seeing your point, it’s not relative to previous posts. It sounds like some left wing doctrine denying that nationhood and/or European identity has never truly existed.

I was waiting for you to start talking about the left haha. Look, you were talking about ethnicity and my comments were related to that. Now you bring in identity and culture, which is something totally different. Sure, the English have an identity which is different from the Germans or Italians, but it doesn't matter what your background is to identify as English. Every European country has many descendants of people who were not part of your tribes and communities forged hundreds of years ago. Your own queen is of German descent. Someone like Stephen Fry descends from Hungarian Jews and French Quakers. I'm sure you'll find other people who are considered very British to not be "ethnically British" as you see it. Ethnicity is overrated and very vague in a world that is constantly changing.

I was waiting for you to start talking about the left haha. Look, you were talking about ethnicity and my comments were related to that. Now you bring in identity and culture, which is something totally different. Sure, the English have an identity which is different from the Germans or Italians, but it doesn't matter what your background is to identify as English. Every European country has many descendants of people who were not part of your tribes and communities forged hundreds of years ago. Your own queen is of German descent. Someone like Stephen Fry descends from Hungarian Jews and French Quakers. I'm sure you'll find other people who are considered very British to not be "ethnically British" as you see it. Ethnicity is overrated and very vague in a world that is constantly changing.
That’s a far better post than your earlier one.
What it means to be British, German, English, French is obviously shifting all the time, I’m not arguing against that. But you inadvertently bring up an interesting point. Black and Asian people born in England are far more likely to identify as British than they are English. So why is that, well all I can imagine is it’s because being English is still viewed as being part of a specific race or tribe, while British is far more encompassing. In fact a quick google search confirms why that is (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_people).
You can probably make the same case for most if not all other European people. So it goes back to the original posts, do Bulgarians, Poles, Hungarians and other Eastern European’s want to follow suit and see their countries be represented by people who are not viewed as ethnically Polish, Hungarian etc? In all honesty, I think a lot wouldn’t. They are in a position to see the affects of what mass migration and demographic change has done to the west and they probably don’t want to go that way. Had you said to an Englishman in the 1960’s that in 60 odd years your football team won’t have any white players in it how do you imagine most would feel about that? You can sit there and be PC about it and say “oh it wouldn’t matter in the slightest” but if you take yourself back to the 60’s or 70’s and ask that question then you’d get a far different viewpoint. Whether you accept it or not, we at heart are tribalistic by nature, but that is something that has had to be knocked out of people who live in the multi-cultural West. That then leads to people not having a true sense of identity outside of themselves and for one can lead to a more selfish, individualistic outlook. I could go on but I’ve said enough

source.gif

Wow. Check out Ronaldo’s 2nd goal against Lithuania. Most players would have taken a first touch but he knows exactly where he is putting the ball.

And Moldova leads France 1-0 after the greatest defending you’re ever likely to see from Lenglet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The French ruled England for 300 years, you seemed to have forgotten that already.

Italy 5-0
Finland 3-0

Finland can secure a spot in the finals with a win over bottom-side Liechtenstein at home in November

Should smash that sorrowful mob and earn their first ever appearance at a major championship which is Great to see. Italy 100 percent but they've played nobodies. The best I've seen them play was the first 30 against Portugal last year at the San Siro where they should have been 3-0 up at that point but like Italy do, they don't capitalise. Would have been at the World Cup if not for an inept manager. Italy could do well and will go deep if not next year, at Qatar.

Portugal losing to Ukraine but they've been assured of Qualification when they won the Nations League. I'd have them slightly behind France who drew to Turkey yesterday but big whoop. They're the World Champions, should have been the current Euro Champions and are the favourites to do so next year. Star studded line up with talent everywhere and drew at home to Luxembourg on the way to the World Cup in Russia last year, so a slip up against Turkey is no sweat. Still the team to beat and deservedly so.

Holland have been impressive and beat the French in the nations league last year. Taken care of the Germans in that tournament and also in Euro qualifying. Germany have been in average form but also should have destroyed France in France if not for poor finishing in front of goal which cost them. The Dutch will be at their first major championships since Brazil 2014 and it's good to see them back on the World Stage. I wouldn't make much of the Germans indifferent form either and last years World Cup was an aberration for mine. Regardless of where they finish next year, the Germans always produce much like the Italians and it's not a question of whether they remain down, just how long for. Will be quick to rise as they always do on the World stage much like they did in that poor patch at Euro 2000.

Late equaliser from Spain and Norway this morning completely changing the way things seemed before the final whistle. Will be a cracking Euros with 32 teams like at France 2016 and Belgium will be touted to go far yet again. It could be their time perhaps.

France
Belgium
Germany/Spain/England/Italy/Portugal/Croatia/Holland

32 teams is too many for the Euros.

How much booing was there? Could have just been City fans, plenty of them are blaming Gomez for the incident.
Didn't sound like an overwhelming amount of people, but enough for the England camp to notice.

The French surrendered to the Germans twice. Calm down.

As did every other country bordering the Germans back then. Also France were surrounded by Mussolini & Franco at the start of the war and yet the Germans could only take half the country even with 2 major allies.

The Normans ruled England though for 300 years, hence why there are plenty of French names in England. Gerrard / Lampard two examples.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back