Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
That's exactly right...but be nice if he does become a gun-star! ;)
that's asking a lot
gunstar.jpg

I see him as running defender first, midfielder we will see.

I have know idea as I am not watching him develop but the way he moves and his physical attributes, I am not sure he is made for a inside clearance per see. Don't know, might be wrong. I would have to watch him in the guts in contested situations to get a gut feel but its encourage many seem to think he likes the contest. Cannot see why he cannot be provided opportunities through the midfield and see what happens. I just think with his height and movement at least defensively its something he can fall back to if proficient in and he seems to excel in running through the lines

I don't get him as a defender. He attacks the contest and bursts from the contest. He doesn't cover the ground like a defender needs to, or do much intercept marking that I am aware of.

I suspect that if he develops his tank well we'll see all sorts of new traits from him. Simply because he isn't able to get to the positions needed. But where he stands out to me is in the contest, and coming from the contest. That spells midfielder to me. He's also Ok up forward. Good size, great speed, good mark and kick. So resting forward midfielder sounds about right.

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
His junior stats got better in finals, and his contested percentage was ridiculous, close to 60%. It's not true to say he doesn't win his own ball. Plenty of times he wins the hard ball in tight but because his game is to run at opponents he often runs straight into tackles, and because he's not yet strong enough to bust them, he's either caught holding the ball or it's a ball-up. I reckon this happens half a dozen times per game.

He's going to come back from a pre-season in the next few years having furnished into a powerful beast of a man, and we'll all go, 'Woah'.

He also had quick hands and can win it. When we sort out our stoppages to take advantage of him he’ll be able to pluck it from the ruckmans hand and get into the path of guys like Stack, Lambert, Edwards coming from the back of the pack.

Cripps wins most of his clearances in the move, but his midfield is set up for him. Players block and isolate for him to get the ball on the move and free his arms. Our midfield is set up for Prestia and Cotchin for the large part.

I found RCD’s comments about the coaches telling him to back himself in during the final telling. He strikes me as the type who doesn’t like to stuff up and played within himself a little. When he had the opportunity in the GF he ran and took guys on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't get him as a defender. He attacks the contest and bursts from the contest. He doesn't cover the ground like a defender needs to, or do much intercept marking that I am aware of.

I suspect that if he develops his tank well we'll see all sorts of new traits from him. Simply because he isn't able to get to the positions needed. But where he stands out to me is in the contest, and coming from the contest. That spells midfielder to me. He's also Ok up forward. Good size, great speed, good mark and kick. So resting forward midfielder sounds about right.

Those two goals he kicked in the VFL final seem to be quintessential RCD going forward like a signature play like Short kicking his goals near 50 metres

We do not have enough players going through the lines kicking goals like that, this is one of the areas our team can improve on

To do that to me he is more of a mid/central defender that bursts forward and can be deadly like kicking those goals.

A defender covers us much ground as a forward so I do not understand this comment. He could be a defensive centre playing in front of a back six.

He cannot kick those GF goals as a forward within the forward 50 and as a forward he gets in the way of Dusty, Lynch and JR.

I think he can lead to get the ball from out of our defensive half. He can also contest in the middle as a defensive centre and assist along the wings with his burst

Last edited:
Those two goals he kicked in the VFL final seem to be quintessential RCD going forward.

We do not have enough players going through the lines kicking goals like that.

To do that to me he is more of a mid/central defender that bursts forward and can be deadly like kicking those goals.

A defender covers us much ground as a forward so I do not understand this comment. He could be a defensive centre playing in front of a back six

A defender must follow his player. So RCD's endurance won't allow him to play as a defender - too easy to beat. But add fitness through hard work and maybe he'll be fine.

I'm talking about the specific things he does, which as all midfield type acts. right now he's a mid in waiting (for a motor). When he gets that motor maybe things will change.

RCD came into the league really not physically ready compared to most of his peers. He wasn't in the elite training system until late. We're doing a lot of what he would have gotten if he'd been playing at that top junior level earlier. That's why he dropped. But also why we might get a huge bargain.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
A defender must follow his player. So RCD's endurance won't allow him to play as a defender - too easy to beat. But add fitness through hard work and maybe he'll be fine.

I'm talking about the specific things he does, which as all midfield type acts. right now he's a mid in waiting (for a motor). When he gets that motor maybe things will change.

RCD came into the league really not physically ready compared to most of his peers. He wasn't in the elite training system until late. We're doing a lot of what he would have gotten if he'd been playing at that top junior level earlier. That's why he dropped. But also why we might get a huge bargain.

Does Prestia, Cotch and Dusty follow their players in the middle??

I think you are jumping the gun and inferring a true defender. I am talking about a hybrid role specifically designed for RCD talents tailored to extract maximum destruction from Dusty. All RCD needs to do is read opposition forwards thrusts guarding space as many of the players do now. He needs to increase his tank but there is a role for him for sure capitalising on his aerial prowess to. Ideally he would play in front of the back six as a roaming centre

We do not get enough goals from our wings and half back flanks. RCD can assist in this area to.

The beauty of Dusty forward half in his full destructive force kicking goals with precision was there for all to see in the GF and RCD in the centre/back half only compliments that.

I think you are underplaying the role of the forward. You cannot have players willy nilly play forward in a great team. They have to have goal sense like Dusty. Does RCD have the goal sense on the snaps and so forth to play forward within forward 50 deep? You do not want RCD stuck in forward 50 as a liability when one of his strengths is his run requiring space. The other thing is Dusty has the power and agility and dexterity to break congestion in the forward 50 where I am not sure RCD has the full compliment of those attributes. I think RCD is better served in more space where he can use his height with his marking and run to full effect. Frankly we simply do not have enough goals through the lines from the midfield like RCD kicked in the VFL GF. Its a real weakness in our team and with RCD helping in this area gives team a real boost and makes our set up that much more difficult to counter from opposition sides!!

Last edited:

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I think you are underselling his year somewhat. He wasn't a star Under 16 type which many of these NAB kids are. He grew 8-10cm in his first year at Under 18's, so he was never going to have the legs carrying all that extra size around like a seasoned player like Ross or Carlton's Walsh was at the same stage.
To go from U18's to inside mid against seasoned centre square VFL mids/26 year old men (Jacob Ballard types) is much harder than it sounds. And to come through at the end of the year and to have a great finals campaign shows he has what it takes. I thought he hit harder than anyone on the ground in the Prelim especially. Give him another preseason and his speed, strength and confidence will really grow.

this is an important point IMO

he was always going to be a 'project player' type

He also had quick hands and can win it. When we sort out our stoppages to take advantage of him he’ll be able to pluck it from the ruckmans hand and get into the path of guys like Stack, Lambert, Edwards coming from the back of the pack.

Cripps wins most of his clearances in the move, but his midfield is set up for him. Players block and isolate for him to get the ball on the move and free his arms. Our midfield is set up for Prestia and Cotchin for the large part.

I found RCD’s comments about the coaches telling him to back himself in during the final telling. He strikes me as the type who doesn’t like to stuff up and played within himself a little. When he had the opportunity in the GF he ran and took guys on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When RCD believes in himself, and has the physical ability to smash through men and run all day, then I suspect we'll see him tear games apart. Sometimes you see him hit packs and go, then get (just) held by a mature player. He could do it in the juniors, but it's a lot harder against older men. Development and belief and I reckon (hope) he'll take off

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Just want to remind people of Patrick Cripps 1st year 2014

3 Games
3.3 Kicks
5.7 handballs
1.7 marks
0.3 behinds
3.0 tackles
4.3 CP
5.0 UP

Carlton being as bad as they were played him 3 games in 2014 , Richmond can develop him an extra year and im hoping they dont rush him and would like to get RCD to build his tank and maybe play 5/6 games in 2020 then will be playing full season in 2021 - Thats when we will need him to come into replace Cotchin in the middle

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
When RCD believes in himself, and has the physical ability to smash through men and run all day, then I suspect we'll see him tear games apart. Sometimes you see him hit packs and go, then get (just) held by a mature player. He could do it in the juniors, but it's a lot harder against older men. Development and belief and I reckon (hope) he'll take off

Is that RCD's game to smash through men though necessarily? Its a relative thing depending on the opposition one is facing

I think when he gets his endurance up he can capitalise on his run and movement for his size, marking with his added height and penetrating kicking to be a real fly in the ointment of opposition.

I do not see RCD as a run of the mill follower which is why I would have him at a true centre position. I see him as a structural player rather than a bash and crash type even though he can be that way against slighter smaller types simply because of his relative more imposing size in certain contests. I think RCD has too much X-factor to be simple bash and crash!!

I think a lot of commentators have lost the plot on Cripps. There are different ways to skin a cat. I do not see RCD in that way as the frame is not there nor does it need to be there because he is his own player with his own attributes. He appears quicker than Cripps for starters and he does not want to lose that which will help with his longevity to and overall effectiveness for the team especially bursting the lines because we do not have enough of the players. Does Vlastuin burst the lines, Houli, Short, Prestia, Cotchin, Ellis??? I think RCD is a lot more important improving our forward thrust including goal scoring from the centre and back half because the aerial marking is there along with the run opening up more options and making the team more efficient in the way it covers the ground defensively as well as in forward transition

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I would say yes

on the grand final VFL highlight RCD video; he kills the guy whilst he has the football

Not sure which contest you are referring to?? If you are talking about the one where he kicks his first goal beating that guy it was equally about his run, speed, change of direction creating the inertia to beat the guy before he kicks the goal.

I do not see RCD as a power brute like Cripps and Dusty, I see him more as a magician with a few match up tricks where oppositions have difficulty escaping his spell.

Looking at those goals he kicked in the GF he is moving a lot quicker than Cripps and his balance and poise when kicking the goal was impressive. More compromised and balanced than Dangerfield kicking goals on the run!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Not sure which contest you are referring to?? If you are talking about the one where he kicks his first goal beating that guy it was equally about his run, speed, change of direction creating the inertia to beat the guy before he kicks the goal.

I do not see RCD as a power brute like Cripps and Dusty, I see him more as a magician with a few match up tricks where oppositions have difficulty escaping his spell

He will be give him another 2-3 years and the strength that 3 pre seasons gives him and watch him use his strength , Similar ways to Fyfe does

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
He will be give him another 2-3 years and the strength that 3 pre seasons gives him and watch him use his strength , Similar ways to Fyfe does

Na I do not think that suits his style and shape.

Like trying to make Richo a forward when he was always a wingman. RCD is his own force, he has to play to his strengths like Mcrae said.

RCD should determine how he plays and develops, not P Cripps!! RFC can always use another for a specific bash and crash type if need be giving Cotch and others a chop out. One does not want to hinder RCD's development and the progress of the overall team by pushing RCD on the wrong path!

See P Naish made a difference to in the GF and his development as a player that is not afraid to kick a goal and hurt the opposition!

These type of players are important! Can never underestimate the power of scoreboard pressure rather than one individual such as P Cripps

Last edited:

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

1:34, i think, its beautiful

outside of taking out guys in his first year, key goals in premierships etc. is his general work around clearances is what i like and how tall he looks ....has some force behind him when he goes in and its intersting to wonder how big he will end up - Anthony Koutoufides playing Height is listed as 191cm ...

I do not see RCD as a power brute like Cripps and Dusty, I see him more as a magician with a few match up tricks where oppositions have difficulty escaping his spell.

Looking at those goals he kicked in the GF he is moving a lot quicker than Cripps and his balance and poise when kicking the goal was impressive. More compromised and balanced than Dangerfield kicking goals on the run!!

he is still a teenager, had a recent growth spurt and looks like he will fill out well. Hits the contest hard, too

may or may not 'make it', or maybe will just be a good ordinary player. but at this stage he has a huge ceiling. i reckon, including potentially being a battering ram. this is why he was talked about as a top10 pick (and good at contested ball), i hear geelong were all over him until a very late change of mind

Last edited:

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Na I do not think that suits his style and shape.

Like trying to make Richo a forward when he was always a wingman. RCD is his own force, he has to play to his strengths like Mcrae said.

RCD should determine how he plays and develops, not P Cripps!! RFC can always use another for a specific bash and crash type if need be giving Cotch and others a chop out.

See P Naish made a difference two in the GF and his development as a player that is not afraid to kick a goal and hurt the opposition!

These type of players are important! Can never underestimate the power of scoreboard pressure rather than one individual such as P Cripps
I think he is closer to a big Cotchin than a Cripps who really just hunts the ball and dishes off most of the time. RCD has the step and speed to break out of contests, something Cripps has never done, which is why he is so exciting, speed and x factor. Perhaps a quicker Bontempelli.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I think he is closer to a big Cotchin than a Cripps who really just hunts the ball and dishes off most of the time. RCD has the step and speed to break out of contests, something Cripps has never done, which is why he is so exciting, speed and x factor. Perhaps a quicker Bontempelli.

He is quicker than the Bont.

I think he is a different player to a lot of players of his size but he can still be a star in his own way being most effective for the RFC team.

He reminds me of a taller Rodney Eade in the way he moves. He arches the back to when on a burst, he really is a unique player RFC can really use to compliment the team most effectively I think. His balance when kicking a goal is impressive, this cannot be underestimated. To many players like Danger butcher the ball on the run kicking for goal!!

Last edited:
Does Prestia, Cotch and Dusty follow their players in the middle??

I think you are jumping the gun and inferring a true defender. I am talking about a hybrid role specifically designed for RCD talents tailored to extract maximum destruction from Dusty. All RCD needs to do is read opposition forwards thrusts guarding space as many of the players do now. He needs to increase his tank but there is a role for him for sure capitalising on his aerial prowess to. Ideally he would play in front of the back six as a roaming centre

We do not get enough goals from our wings and half back flanks. RCD can assist in this area to.

The beauty of Dusty forward half in his full destructive force kicking goals with precision was there for all to see in the GF and RCD in the centre/back half only compliments that.

I think you are underplaying the role of the forward. You cannot have players willy nilly play forward in a great team. They have to have goal sense like Dusty. Does RCD have the goal sense on the snaps and so forth to play forward within forward 50 deep? You do not want RCD stuck in forward 50 as a liability when one of his strengths is his run requiring space. The other thing is Dusty has the power and agility and dexterity to break congestion in the forward 50 where I am not sure RCD has the full compliment of those attributes. I think RCD is better served in more space where he can use his height with his marking and run to full effect. Frankly we simply do not have enough goals through the lines from the midfield like RCD kicked in the VFL GF. Its a real weakness in our team and with RCD helping in this area gives team a real boost and makes our set up that much more difficult to counter from opposition sides!!

Umm. I was just responding to your statement he'd be a good defender. I didn't understand your whole concept of a special role playing front of the back 6. And I made no comparison to Dusty - other than perhaps resting forward.

RCD will be what he becomes. We're not sure of what that will be. But I'd place him in as firstly a contested ball winner, then break away type, hopefully outside run and carry, and resting forward to create mismatches with his speed and height. If he transitions to defender, or defensive mid then OK by me. I just don't see that as his strength right now.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Umm. I was just responding to your statement he'd be a good defender. I didn't understand your whole concept of a special role playing front of the back 6. And I made no comparison to Dusty - other than perhaps resting forward.

RCD will be what he becomes. We're not sure of what that will be. But I'd place him in as firstly a contested ball winner, then break away type, hopefully outside run and carry, and resting forward to create mismatches with his speed and height. If he transitions to defender, or defensive mid then OK by me. I just don't see that as his strength right now.

I would not hamper RCD as a purely negating type. He offers to much in forward transition to restrict him to simply stopping an opposition forward

Is that RCD's game to smash through men though necessarily? Its a relative thing depending on the opposition one is facing

I think when he gets his endurance up he can capitalise on his run and movement for his size, marking with his added height and penetrating kicking to be a real fly in the ointment of opposition.

I do not see RCD as a run of the mill follower which is why I would have him at a true centre position. I see him as a structural player rather than a bash and crash type even though he can be that way against slighter smaller types simply because of his relative more imposing size in certain contests. I think RCD has too much X-factor to be simple bash and crash!!

I think a lot of commentators have lost the plot on Cripps. There are different ways to skin a cat. I do not see RCD in that way as the frame is not there nor does it need to be there because he is his own player with his own attributes. He appears quicker than Cripps for starters and he does not want to lose that which will help with his longevity to and overall effectiveness for the team especially bursting the lines because we do not have enough of the players. Does Vlastuin burst the lines, Houli, Short, Prestia, Cotchin, Ellis??? I think RCD is a lot more important improving our forward thrust including goal scoring from the centre and back half because the aerial marking is there along with the run opening up more options and making the team more efficient in the way it covers the ground defensively as well as in forward transition

RCD seems to love hitting the man hard in contests. Add more muscle and he'll start going right through players.

Re being unusual, he is definitely that. In the GF he simply ran right past players. Guys his size don't do that. He keeps his hands free very well too. If he fulllfills his ability (what we see now) he'll be a contested monster, break away player (Dangerfield but a better kick), defensive beast and part time leading forward. Given what you say he could also be running off the half back/wing and cause havoc. Lots to look forward to I hope.

But he isn't Fyfe or Cripps. He's something else.

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Just want to remind people of Patrick Cripps 1st year 2014

3 Games
3.3 Kicks
5.7 handballs
1.7 marks
0.3 behinds
3.0 tackles
4.3 CP
5.0 UP

Carlton being as bad as they were played him 3 games in 2014 , Richmond can develop him an extra year and im hoping they dont rush him and would like to get RCD to build his tank and maybe play 5/6 games in 2020 then will be playing full season in 2021 - Thats when we will need him to come into replace Cotchin in the middle
I think Cripps had injuries to start, back fracture or something...

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli

I have very little idea what you’re on about, not unusual. But first, RCDs strengths are his contested and clearance work, this was one of our biggest changes from prior to 2017 to now, playing players in positions that are their strengths. Let’s not re the wheel.

second, Houli, Short, Vlas, Prestia and Cotchin all break the lines, along with Rioli, Castagna, Bolton, Edwards, Dusty and Lambert. Add in Pickett, DES, Stack and Kmac who all do it too.

It’s our entire game plan when we switch from defensive to offensive mode, run in waves, break tackles and lines to pull defenders out of position.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
People really do get seduced by the numbers. Happens in the media, with umpires, with supporters in general. Disposal are often meaningless - look at Lachie Neille's 51 disposals compared to Dusty's 21 in the same game.It really is the quality of those disposals. I see RCD's disposal as much the same. He doesn't get cheap disposals running around the back. Every ball he gets he wins and every touch he has is damaging. I can see his numbers increasing as he builds his engine and links up more with running sequences but that will come. More than almost every player on our list (maybe other than Balta) he just needs experience and to continue to learn the running patterns. Rance was exactly the same; he had all the athletic qualities and skills but just needed to learn the small things and keep it simple.

RCD has a huge amount of strengths that he can build from. Confidence is the key with a player like Riley and luckily, he's at a club that priorities focusing on the positive and letting players play to their strengths. I'm not going to suggest he will be a star but at Richmond, he doesn't need to be. He just needs to embrace the culture, learn the game plan and play his role and who knows what he'll blossom into from there.

I see a huge upside to this kid. Give him time and he'll slot nicely into our 3peat side!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back