Toast Andrew Russell

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Regardless, another talent that has entered the club and turns into a dud. Our injury merry-go-round seemingly continues, players continue to appear physically inferior compared to other teams

What a sh!t sandwich of a joint! :poo:

:oops: and I thought I could never be surprised by things posted on here again. I was wrong

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Regardless, another talent that has entered the club and turns into a dud. Our injury merry-go-round seemingly continues, players continue to appear physically inferior compared to other teams

What a sh!t sandwich of a joint! :poo:
I generally get half way through writing responses to posts that are ludicrously bad then think why bother and then move on.
Congratulations on posting that badly that i have had to break that rule.

I accidentally stumbled on this video of Andrew Russell being awarded Life Membership at Hawthorn at the end of last year.

It is must-watch viewing for every die-hard Carlton fan.

He is introduced by Sam Mitchell, who talks about the impact "Jack" Russell had in building the culture at Hawthorn, the physical development of the players and the positive psychological contributions he made. It's one of those I couldn't have done it without you speeches. And it seems 100% genuine.

Russell's acceptance speech was also honest, humble, amusing and telling in regards to the standards he expects from players and the affinity he feels towards them.

I have been telling posters not to treat Russell like a god. But even just this short video makes you realise how lucky we are to have him and how big an impact he could make at this club.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Players look to have come back in terrific condition, what a big difference it makes having a good high performance person in charge compared to no high performance person. A lot of credit must be given to our recruiters and list managers as well, building a list of players willing to do the work and creating a culture where this is the standard.

Really got me thinking about just how big of a basketcase Carlton have been for 20 years and how culture and a lack quality people running the show have held the club back. Got me thinking about just how many people have lost their careers and had mediocre success because they came to Carlton.

Cripps - Been the only good player we had or just about for a good while during our rebuild. Hired a running coach to improve his game which says a lot about the man but it's a huge indictment on the club. No player should have to go and outsource external help to improve their fitness at an AFL club. Good clubs get the best out of their players and if players have to go out and do this to achieve that then the club is failing badly. It's his training and work ethic which made him go from an average player to a top level player. Russell at the club means no player has to outsource to running coaches and go looking for external help and also shows they all probably needed it.

Ratten - Had a talented side that achieved nothing. Always criticised for not running both ways, never backed up good games, had a lot of individuals with a lot of talent that were known to not be fit, injuries from not being professional enough, failed to develop players and had a reputation for poor player development, regular trouble off the field. All signs of poor culture and fitness. You have to wonder how far they could have gone with a better culture and a significantly higher fitness base. The recruiting did fall over but still.

Malthouse - Came from a club which had a good culture, good work ethic, was fit enough to do what he knew they had to do to be a top side, was professional in how they trained to one which was the opposite of those things. He probably thought he could turn that around but things were too far gone. Fell out with a lot of players who lets face it, they were not fit and never at peak fitness and while talented were a part of the problem. Unfortunately those players were at a club with an ingrained culture and were too old to change. Only thing to do was to fix the club and that meant they had to go. I don't think even Andrew Russell could have fixed this mess unless he was there early. I think work ethic has to be drilled into players early and that is why he has come to clubs with young lists.

Then there are the players SOS got a criticised for bringing in from other clubs and late draft picks who didn't work out. Yes some were low talent salary dump types who were there as cover and to help build a culture but some had talent. Perhaps we just failed those players by not getting them fit because the culture didn't exist and the people to drive it weren't there.

A few players come to mind. Sumner, heaps of talent but when he played he was clearly horribly unfit. I liked how he played but he couldn't sustain efforts. Clem Smith, had talent, never looked anywhere near as fit as these guys do. Jaksch, had talent but needed professionalism driven into him which wasn't going to happen at Carlton. Pickett was a huge talent but he has never been fit in his life and hence a lot of injuries. Had this been managed and professionalism driven into him earlier he may be a top player with us now. There are a lot talented players over the years who have been early picks or we have looked at them and thought they looked to show a bit but faded out and disappeared and we wondered why. I'm sure we can all name a few.

It's a big eye opener to see the players come back to the club looking like this and to hear from Marc Murphy who has been there since 2006 that he hasn't seen players and so many at the club in the off season training. It really goes to show the extent of how unprofessional this club has been the last 20 years and how good things are starting to look now.

A few years ago McGovern would have been one of many in our history who showed elite talent but never got fit and never reached great heights and faded away. Dow, Stocker, Setterfield, O'Brien would definitely have only ever been one way running mediocre players. Like Gibbs was for most of his career and Murphy even at times has been and most of our players picked in the last rebuild.

Looking at how the players look and what Andrew Russell is doing, the culture Bolton, SOS and now Teague have made and the changes this has brought, it's a massive eye opener. We never had a chance the last 20 years to ever be any good because the culture, professionalism and quality football staff were never there. Used to always worry we were never going to get the best out of players and we rarely did but now it's hard to see how we won't get the best out of these guys.

Exciting times ahead. We haven't been a club who has been able to bring in players who are talented but unprofessional and have that be successful and that is changing which will improve our later round recruiting. Gives me confidence we can bring in players who aren't going that well but have talent and have them play really good footy.

Exciting times to come but boy oh boy is this a huge eye opener.

Players look to have come back in terrific condition, what a big difference it makes having a good high performance person in charge compared to no high performance person. A lot of credit must be given to our recruiters and list managers as well, building a list of players willing to do the work and creating a culture where this is the standard.

Really got me thinking about just how big of a basketcase Carlton have been for 20 years and how culture and a lack quality people running the show have held the club back. Got me thinking about just how many people have lost their careers and had mediocre success because they came to Carlton.

Cripps - Been the only good player we had or just about for a good while during our rebuild. Hired a running coach to improve his game which says a lot about the man but it's a huge indictment on the club. No player should have to go and outsource external help to improve their fitness at an AFL club. Good clubs get the best out of their players and if players have to go out and do this to achieve that then the club is failing badly. It's his training and work ethic which made him go from an average player to a top level player. Russell at the club means no player has to outsource to running coaches and go looking for external help and also shows they all probably needed it.

Ratten - Had a talented side that achieved nothing. Always criticised for not running both ways, never backed up good games, had a lot of individuals with a lot of talent that were known to not be fit, injuries from not being professional enough, failed to develop players and had a reputation for poor player development, regular trouble off the field. All signs of poor culture and fitness. You have to wonder how far they could have gone with a better culture and a significantly higher fitness base. The recruiting did fall over but still.

Malthouse - Came from a club which had a good culture, good work ethic, was fit enough to do what he knew they had to do to be a top side, was professional in how they trained to one which was the opposite of those things. He probably thought he could turn that around but things were too far gone. Fell out with a lot of players who lets face it, they were not fit and never at peak fitness and while talented were a part of the problem. Unfortunately those players were at a club with an ingrained culture and were too old to change. Only thing to do was to fix the club and that meant they had to go. I don't think even Andrew Russell could have fixed this mess unless he was there early. I think work ethic has to be drilled into players early and that is why he has come to clubs with young lists.

Then there are the players SOS got a criticised for bringing in from other clubs and late draft picks who didn't work out. Yes some were low talent salary dump types who were there as cover and to help build a culture but some had talent. Perhaps we just failed those players by not getting them fit because the culture didn't exist and the people to drive it weren't there.

A few players come to mind. Sumner, heaps of talent but when he played he was clearly horribly unfit. I liked how he played but he couldn't sustain efforts. Clem Smith, had talent, never looked anywhere near as fit as these guys do. Jaksch, had talent but needed professionalism driven into him which wasn't going to happen at Carlton. Pickett was a huge talent but he has never been fit in his life and hence a lot of injuries. Had this been managed and professionalism driven into him earlier he may be a top player with us now. There are a lot talented players over the years who have been early picks or we have looked at them and thought they looked to show a bit but faded out and disappeared and we wondered why. I'm sure we can all name a few.

It's a big eye opener to see the players come back to the club looking like this and to hear from Marc Murphy who has been there since 2006 that he hasn't seen players and so many at the club in the off season training. It really goes to show the extent of how unprofessional this club has been the last 20 years and how good things are starting to look now.

A few years ago McGovern would have been one of many in our history who showed elite talent but never got fit and never reached great heights and faded away. Dow, Stocker, Setterfield, O'Brien would definitely have only ever been one way running mediocre players. Like Gibbs was for most of his career and Murphy even at times has been and most of our players picked in the last rebuild.

Looking at how the players look and what Andrew Russell is doing, the culture Bolton, SOS and now Teague have made and the changes this has brought, it's a massive eye opener. We never had a chance the last 20 years to ever be any good because the culture, professionalism and quality football staff were never there. Used to always worry we were never going to get the best out of players and we rarely did but now it's hard to see how we won't get the best out of these guys.

Exciting times ahead. We haven't been a club who has been able to bring in players who are talented but unprofessional and have that be successful and that is changing which will improve our later round recruiting. Gives me confidence we can bring in players who aren't going that well but have talent and have them play really good footy.

Great post!
You've made perfect sense - we never had a chance, until now.
It must be a good feeling being part of CFC for the players atm - (apart from the SOS stuff :mad: )
Players from other teams, will see and know that CFC are on the improve and if you want to join, you need to have the right attitude which will help you individually be a better player and enjoy the success
You can see evidence of this via Martin's and Papley's nominations :D

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Great post!
You've made perfect sense - we never had a chance, until now.
It must be a good feeling being part of CFC for the players atm - (apart from the SOS stuff :mad: )
Players from other teams, will see and know that CFC are on the improve and if you want to join, you need to have the right attitude which will help you individually be a better player and enjoy the success
You can see evidence of this via Martin's and Papley's nominations :D

It's true, seeing how fit our players are now just goes to show we never had a chance. None of our coaches or recruiters. If you can't get the players fit you can't get the best out of them and that's going to look bad for the coaches, recruiters and everyone involved.

Cleaning the slate with young impressionable players and keeping a few older ones who wanted to buy in. Getting the best people to coach and mentor the players. Bringing in the right senior players who were willing to buy in (even though some were poor players). Getting Andrew Russell etc. It's all attributing to creating a club that gets the best out of it's players and underperforms.

Modern footy is all about a teams ability to win possession of the footy, keep possession of the footy, defend and run up and down the ground all day quickly and better than your opposition does. What we're doing is all about preparing the players to do that and that last bit is something we have never been good at.

I can imagine if we have a good season and can open our cap right up again we could get stuck in when it comes to bringing in players.

We have the right people driving us. The majority of the players if not all the players being super professional with how they eat, train and recover. we can bring in guys who haven't been this way and the pressure from the entire group to compete and be at that level means we can reward ourselves by bringing in some talented players who aren't overly professional or are a bit of a risk. Plenty of good influences at the club, we will see us start to draft more players later in the draft and in the rookie draft who can play. It's not so much our recruiting improving rather than us becoming equipped to take risks and our ability to almost pressure new players into buying in to what everyone else is doing.

Very exciting with how these guys have presented themselves and for what's install recruitment wise.

It's true, seeing how fit our players are now just goes to show we never had a chance. None of our coaches or recruiters. If you can't get the players fit you can't get the best out of them and that's going to look bad for the coaches, recruiters and everyone involved.

Cleaning the slate with young impressionable players and keeping a few older ones who wanted to buy in. Getting the best people to coach and mentor the players. Bringing in the right senior players who were willing to buy in (even though some were poor players). Getting Andrew Russell etc. It's all attributing to creating a club that gets the best out of it's players and underperforms.

Modern footy is all about a teams ability to win possession of the footy, keep possession of the footy, defend and run up and down the ground all day quickly and better than your opposition does. What we're doing is all about preparing the players to do that and that last bit is something we have never been good at.

I can imagine if we have a good season and can open our cap right up again we could get stuck in when it comes to bringing in players.

We have the right people driving us. The majority of the players if not all the players being super professional with how they eat, train and recover. we can bring in guys who haven't been this way and the pressure from the entire group to compete and be at that level means we can reward ourselves by bringing in some talented players who aren't overly professional or are a bit of a risk. Plenty of good influences at the club, we will see us start to draft more players later in the draft and in the rookie draft who can play. It's not so much our recruiting improving rather than us becoming equipped to take risks and our ability to almost pressure new players into buying in to what everyone else is doing.

Very exciting with how these guys have presented themselves and for what's install recruitment wise.
Nothing against MM, but our current captains lead by example at training & game day. Having Walsh doesn't hurt either!

rog1995

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton

Remains to be seen if Russell can make a significant impact. Not a great start imo the way MM presented himself the reoccurring injury to Willow, Doc, Marchbank and Kennedy. Needs to get these players right to assist the development and progressive improvement.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Nothing against MM, but our current captains lead by example at training & game day. Having Walsh doesn't hurt either!

I think in the past our captains have trained hard and been really fit, just no one followed. Judd, Cripps and at times Murphy have been miles ahead of the rest. It's just that you need really good fitness people and a large group of dedicated players to make it happen over the board and we have never had it until now.

The thing is, young guys rarely know how hard and how dedicated they need to be, mostly they just follow and need a fair bit of pushing. Older guys, if they aren't developed in this environment, it can be really hard to change them. We've had 20 od years of this, being a semi-professional club in a professional competition.

It's going to be interesting

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Remains to be seen if Russell can make a significant impact. Not a great start imo the way MM presented himself the reoccurring injury to Willow, Doc, Marchbank and Kennedy. Needs to get these players right to assist the development and progressive improvement.

McGovern came from another club and his fitness level was on him, he's since lost weight and looks in really good nick. None of those injuries can be attributed to the fitness staff. It's more along the lines of bad luck. Wouldn't expect a lot in Russell's first year and I think he delivered plenty. Only have to look at the players to see the changes they have made.

I think in the past our captains have trained hard and been really fit, just no one followed. Judd, Cripps and at times Murphy have been miles ahead of the rest. It's just that you need really good fitness people and a large group of dedicated players to make it happen over the board and we have never had it until now.

The thing is, young guys rarely know how hard and how dedicated they need to be, mostly they just follow and need a fair bit of pushing. Older guys, if they aren't developed in this environment, it can be really hard to change them. We've had 20 od years of this, being a semi-professional club in a professional competition.

It's going to be interesting

No. That's not right and not on my viewing.

Neither Judd nor Murphy were engaging nor empowered their players by way of eduction.
It was a case of follow me without a listen to me.
Saw enough of Murphy looking almost reluctant at times to join in with the 'lesser folk' to tell me what I needed to know. Cripps & Docherty are different.

rog1995

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
McGovern came from another club and his fitness level was on him, he's since lost weight and looks in really good nick. None of those injuries can be attributed to the fitness staff. It's more along the lines of bad luck. Wouldn't expect a lot in Russell's first year and I think he delivered plenty. Only have to look at the players to see the changes they have made.
Kennedy and Willow could be argued poorly managed. Marchbank is continuing to suffer from injuries. Argument could be made for Cunners as well. These are the players we need up and running to really improve.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Kennedy and Willow could be argued poorly managed. Marchbank is continuing to suffer from injuries. Argument could be made for Cunners as well. These are the players we need up and running to really improve.
Marchbank copped a knee in the neck. No-one can take the blame for this, other than the owner of the errant knee.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
No. That's not right and not on my viewing.

Neither Judd nor Murphy were engaging nor empowered their players by way of eduction.
It was a case of follow me without a listen to me.
Saw enough of Murphy looking almost reluctant at times to join in with the 'lesser folk' to tell me what I needed to know. Cripps & Docherty are different.

Individuals struggle motivate a group, Particularly a more developed group. A group can motivate individuals and with AFL this is very much proven. This is why you need a good culture through an entire group, not a superstar or two. We have had a lot of blokes over the last 20 odd years who got bye on talent alone. Always had a few hard trainers . I just don't think we had the players willing to put in the hard yards over the board.

I think it's unrealistic to put such a burden on a captain to believe they can motivate and inspire a whole list. It's part of the recipe but only one part and mature players who don't put in work against those who do. We've been missing the other ingredients for far too long. A good hard working and professional culture is coming now for the first time in 20 years. That's due to a good group of older players who have bought in. Getting rid of a whole heap of older ones who wouldn't. Very good people in charge and driving this and good leadership.

Our poor results goes back to the salary cap breach days. Comes back to drafting a heap of young talented players to a club which had a poor culture, little leadership and was amaturedly staffed after the salary cap saga left us without all of that. Those players developed into mature players and leaders of the club who had a low work ethic and that will keep passing on to all players brought to the club after then. It's been a vicious cycle which was ended with a good clean out.

You throw a Judd or a Murphy amongst that group and expect them to all lift to their standards, what you're going to get is perhaps a handful following his lead and the rest doing their own things because they are too far down the development path and are going to do their own things. If anything you are going to piss the older less professional types off and drive them away. That's what you get if you try and push older players who aren't overly professional to be professional. We saw that happen.

Very hard to teach old dogs new tricks, particularly when there is a lot of them and a lot of them with fairly modest standards. The only way those blokes change is when they go to another club and are surrounded by strangers who all have high training standards and fitness staff and you either lift to their level and or be the odd one out and no one wants to be the odd one out. We see this all the time with players going from lesser clubs to better clubs and becoming better players and this is why.

You can bag Judd and Murphy all you like but they have no chance of getting much of an impact if you chuck them into a group that hasn't been developed properly and that poor culture is ingrained. If a Murphy or a Judd in their prime were to walk into this group, they way they have been developed and driven by guys like Bolton, Russell and now Teague. They would be lauded as good leaders.

Leading players, inspiring players, professionalism and culture. It's a team effort. Asking a captain to have a big impact on that alone. It's unrealistic messiah complex which has been an issue at Carlton.

I think we are going to get a big eyeful of what a professional football team looks like. It's going to come about to us breaking that cycle, starting fresh and developing these young guys into professional athletes. We saw a bit at the end of last season, a Carlton side that was starting to show signs it could run both ways. It's going to be fun I think.

Can't agree with any of that. Kennedy was coming off injuries and improved as the season went on. Williamson probably has growth related or structural problems, wouldn't put that down to management at all. Marchbank's injury was an impact injury and is unrelated to management. Cunningham needs to get fit and hopefully he can achieve that.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Can't agree with any of that. Kennedy was coming off injuries and improved as the season went on. Williamson probably has growth related or structural problems, wouldn't put that down to management at all. Marchbank's injury was an impact injury and is unrelated to management. Cunningham needs to get fit and hopefully he can achieve that.
Spot on with Kennedy. He played 8 of the last 9 games on the back of a number of VFL games prior to this. He was managed very well by Russell having come off a frustrating 2018 season & not having strung together many games at GWS.

Very good posts gbatman :thumbsu:

I'll be looking forward to seeing how well the starting 22 can run out the first game against the tuggers. Second half of the year showed some evidence of Carlton (finally) being able to play for something like 4 quarters of consistent football - if fitness levels can be achieved to match benchmarks for better sides in competition - then we will be in a position to judge the real talent base and potential of the side.

OR to put it in old speak - 22 players able to play with 4 quarters worth of mongrel is something to look forward to.

#nomoreonewayrunning

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Not hard-hitting journalism or anything, but probably the best guest I have seen on the Dyl & Friends podcast and well worth watching. Incredible to think he's effectively been in the same role (at other clubs) since his early 20's.

Nothing we don't know about Russell, but his presence has been obvious since he came to the club and his philosophies on game day adaptation, stress response and tailoring player programs was pretty compelling.

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
Not hard-hitting journalism or anything, but probably the best guest I have seen on the Dyl & Friends podcast and well worth watching. Incredible to think he's effectively been in the same role (at other clubs) since his early 20's.

Nothing we don't know about Russell, but his presence has been obvious since he came to the club and his philosophies on game day adaptation, stress response and tailoring player programs was pretty compelling.

Agree LD. Fantastic insight and informative interview on so many levels. Loved it.

ps. Dyl is a great guy as well.

Back