Reduced Melbourne games in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't fully agree with the "shouldn't complain to people who have no control" angle.
If you have an issue with any business or product, you complain to the person you have direct access to and to the people who stand to lose the most from your dissatisfaction.
The AFL certainly won't GAF if some Lions supporters don't like the fixture situation. The club bloody well should though, as they stand to lose that support. They are there to represent our membership to the AFL. Make enough noise and they might just push harder and the AFL might just listen more. The club has a little more pull than individuals.
I know it's not the club's fault (some would debate this), but they are their to receive feedback from the membership. The person on the end of the phone knows it's not them at fault or being held responsible, but hopefully they get off the phone and report to management just how angry people are.

FWIW, I've always commended the club on its treatment and recognition that Bulldog Murray / Arthur Wilson gets, the fact our new draftees are sent down to Melbourne each year to tour the Fitzroy museum and speak to Arthur (even more relevant given Fitzroy wasn't around when our draftees were born) and of course everything that Sam Lord and the Melbourne office does. Throw in the Fitzroy Historical Society functions which I think the club has some involvement with. You'll never hear me say a bad word about a lot of what some sections of the club does.

I'm not saying you personally, but I don't think any of us perceived "whingers" that fiercely stick up for our Fitzroy roots, also don't recognise the club for its ongoing efforts. I know I and many others let the likes of Sam Lord know of our gratitude because they get it. I know I may come on strong with respect to Fitzroy and what us Melbourne fans deserve and what we were "sold" but if it isn't for us minorities, then perhaps some our history will be forgotten in time. I'd like to think our passion does make a difference and whether the Brisbane based fans with no connection to Fitzroy care or not, we will continue fighting and not be silenced, because we do care.

I don't think anyone is trying to silence anyone (if they do then its a very small minority) but I do think some of the over the top statements on here just wear some a bit thin.

I think if the Lions weren't millions in debt and being propped up by the AFL continuously then I think we would see a different change of tune and some more vocal feedback on this issue. However its a bit hard when the club is still fighting to stay afloat and dig ourselves out of the quandry we find ourselves in and asking for the AFL for financial assistance via funds as well as a draw that enables us to boost ourselves up commercially to then go really hard at them when the downside is the AFL want us to go down to tassie or the like. Unfortunately we have to make these trade offs and it really sucks, but we need these big drawing games to get crowds through the gate and sponsors paying more. Sure in the meantime continue to voice these things with the club, so that they don't forget the issue remains, but lets try to keep a little perspective on what position the club is actually in right now.

We desperately needed the fixture we got this year as far as home games go as we really need to dig ourselves out of this mess over the next few years before the next TV rights deal gets negotiated. There's already signs around that there will be some serious belt tightening needed as a result of the next deal and clubs that aren't financially sound are going to only get worse. We've got a very limited window to really get ourselves back on track. I agree that it shouldn't be at the expense of our Victorian membership, but there are compromises that need to be made unfortunately.

If we were really splitting hairs i'd be complaining about the lack of off field events that exist in brisbane compared to Melbourne during the year but that would probably be a bit petty of me. I do get envious of the number and breadth of events that get put on down there. We don't really get a lot of the like up this way unfortunately.

Great post FatCat. Some real big picture stuff going on right now.

Its a really interesting time at the moment. Every time we usually come up to tv rights deals being started negotiated there's been little bits and pieces out there about how it will positively impact the CBA and the AFL etc etc and how players are negotiating with that in mind. If you look around hard enough into some of the stories they're laced with small bites that indicate the opposite is almost true. You can even see it in some of the movements in club land with media staff numbers coming down and appointments like the North CEO. Not to mention the cutbacks at fox and the like.

The next media deal landscape is going to be extremely interesting. Do the AFL take their product in house production wise like the NFL, do we see some of the streaming platforms move into that space re google, facebook etc. Will be very interesting to see what happens

Actually, we can and we will. Hence why we trade under the Lions name and don't play 6 games in Melbourne.

Every kid born since 1996 has only ever seen a competition with the Lions in it. I doubt the calls to preserve Fitzroy's history will be as strong in 30 years.
The Fitzroy brand and the support it brings is of immense value to the club ,particularly in garnering publicity down South.

When you have something of value that can also provide growth only an imbecile wouldn't make the most of it.

30 years lots of things might be different ,and some things might be a lot stronger.

The Fitzroy brand and the support it brings is of immense value to the club ,particularly in garnering publicity down South.

When you have something of value that can also provide growth only an imbecile wouldn't make the most of it.

30 years lots of things might be different ,and some things might be a lot stronger.

Without the Fitzroy the link to those kids never existed. We're a team that has genuine two marketplace opportunities. I understand that the gate takings of Melbourne games represent a loss but imo that's an excuse where the could be great capitalisation in other realms that offsets that. Those 5000-10000 odd didn't stick around for nothing. These are passionate people that can embue their love of the team to a new generation.
"If you build it they will come"
Not taking a dig at the club for this year's fixture as I understand some sacrifices need to be made for the commercial viability of the club, I'd just say try and meet those South members in the middle. If we can soon reach a point where the club is appealing to sponsors, getting decent prime time advertising fixtures, isn't being bled dry from an antiquated facilities contract then you'll be so thankful you've got another 10,000+ potential member in another state willing to contribute.

Without the Fitzroy the link to those kids never existed. We're a team that has genuine two marketplace opportunities. I understand that the gate takings of Melbourne games represent a loss but imo that's an excuse where the could be great capitalisation in other realms that offsets that. Those 5000-10000 odd didn't stick around for nothing. These are passionate people that can embue their love of the team to a new generation.
"If you build it they will come"
Not taking a dig at the club for this year's fixture as I understand some sacrifices need to be made for the commercial viability of the club, I'd just say try and meet those South members in the middle. If we can soon reach a point where the club is appealing to sponsors, getting decent prime time advertising fixtures, isn't being bled dry from an antiquated facilities contract then you'll be so thankful you've got another 10,000+ potential member in another state willing to contribute.
Exactly . Long term to think you're going to be a power as one of two teams in Queensland is naive. We had the most powerful team in the country and look where it ended up . The most powerful clubs have built dynastic followings .

I would of thought that was self evident

Morro was eligible as an F/S because his old man Peter played QAFL. He played for South Melbourne in the VFL.
That completely slipped my mind.

Went back and had a look and surprisingly as the Brisbane Lions, we've only ever had two father/sons; Brown and Morrison, who ironically were both taken in the same draft way back when.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went back and had a look and surprisingly as the Brisbane Lions, we've only ever had two father/sons; Brown and Morrison, who ironically were both taken in the same draft way back when.
Josh Clayton wants your number.

I don't think anyone is trying to silence anyone (if they do then its a very small minority) but I do think some of the over the top statements on here just wear some a bit thin.

I think if the Lions weren't millions in debt and being propped up by the AFL continuously then I think we would see a different change of tune and some more vocal feedback on this issue. However its a bit hard when the club is still fighting to stay afloat and dig ourselves out of the quandry we find ourselves in and asking for the AFL for financial assistance via funds as well as a draw that enables us to boost ourselves up commercially to then go really hard at them when the downside is the AFL want us to go down to tassie or the like. Unfortunately we have to make these trade offs and it really sucks, but we need these big drawing games to get crowds through the gate and sponsors paying more. Sure in the meantime continue to voice these things with the club, so that they don't forget the issue remains, but lets try to keep a little perspective on what position the club is actually in right now.

We desperately needed the fixture we got this year as far as home games go as we really need to dig ourselves out of this mess over the next few years before the next TV rights deal gets negotiated. There's already signs around that there will be some serious belt tightening needed as a result of the next deal and clubs that aren't financially sound are going to only get worse. We've got a very limited window to really get ourselves back on track. I agree that it shouldn't be at the expense of our Victorian membership, but there are compromises that need to be made unfortunately.

If we were really splitting hairs i'd be complaining about the lack of off field events that exist in brisbane compared to Melbourne during the year but that would probably be a bit petty of me. I do get envious of the number and breadth of events that get put on down there. We don't really get a lot of the like up this way unfortunately.

Have avoided this thread due to many emotional outbursts. That said this is a high quality post. Puts all into perspective. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That completely slipped my mind.

Hawthorne have only had 3 f/s (recent Cal Twomey article) - Steven Green 2000, Travis Tuck 2005 & Josh Kennedy 2006 who only stayed 3 years.
With minimum games being 100 it narrows the pool down. Plus Brisbane would not see anyone coming through until say after 2017.
Just had a look at afltables.
Brisbane have only 43 players that have played over 100 games - (1997 to 2019)
Fitzroy..................38 players that have played over 100 games - (1965 to 1996)

Hawthorne have only had 3 f/s (recent Cal Twomey article) - Steven Green 2000, Travis Tuck 2005 & Josh Kennedy 2006 who only stayed 3 years.
With minimum games being 100 it narrows the pool down. Plus Brisbane would not see anyone coming through until say after 2017.
Just had a look at afltables.
Brisbane have only 43 players that have played over 100 games - (1997 to 2019)
Fitzroy..................38 players that have played over 100 games - (1965 to 1996)
With the further dilution and compromisation of the draft, with NGA’s and Academy’s they might as well lower the Father/Son back to 50 games anyway.

Its funny that those of us that "whinge" and "yell at the clouds" because we are fighting for what was sold to us as a unique "merged" club should quieten down and do as we are told so you lot can carry on as if everything should be perfect.

Given that you lot support a "merged" club, it honestly staggers me that you are in fact surprised that you have a supposed "dissenting"group of supporters. Perhaps if YOU hate it so much then you should change clubs, because let's face it, as long as we stay a merged club, you are always going to have us "irritating old Fitzroy / Melbourne based supporters" spoiling it for you lot that want to live with your head in the clouds and only have one group of supporters that are happy provided they get their 12 games in Queensland each year.

Well said mate. Some people just don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

While on Melbourne games, my son and I are going down this season for the round 16 game v the Magpies at the G.
200.gif

I just had to delete two pages of childish behaviour back and forth.

These are the facts:
  1. We only have four games in Melbourne.
  2. The merger agreement calls for six games in Melbourne.
I've long tried to defend the club from people railing at them because I don't think there's much the club can do, but having a go at those people is not on.

The name of the thread indicates what it is about. If you find the posts inside a given thread upsetting you, don't read that thread and don't post in that thread.

Just curious how many years since the merger, the 6 game quota has actually been met?

I guess the one positive from my perspective is that the games we do have are pretty good quality games on paper.

Just curious how many years since the merger, the 6 game quota has actually been met?

I guess the one positive from my perspective is that the games we do have are pretty good quality games on paper.
Purely from memory I'd say only 2 or 3 in the early years. I'm sure someone less lazy than me will look it up though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back