Combined sides based on ladder positions

Cant see Walters or Pearce as walk-up starts TBH. IMHO neither cracks West Coast's forwardline if all available players are fit, and I could only see Walters making the midfield if you want to move on someone line Redden (which I wouldn't).

The rest are various flavours of Original Potato Chip. Do not want.

Walters is a lock in a Freo/WC forward line. He is a league above Cripps, Liam Ryan and a hypothetical Rioli in 2020.

Perhaps Pearce more marginal but at this point I'd argue he is ahead of Barrass and we could certainly find room for him to operate as a third tall with McGovern and Barrass if required.

The others are more marginal like I said but let's not write them all off as spuds.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
I'm getting a bit ranty, so I will get this off my chest and then bow out disgracefully.

The tigers are a good team. No, they are a great team. You won the premiership in 2017. And again this year. And looked the goods last year til Mason Cox decided to have his best ever game. Dusty is a superstar. Like amazing (I love him). Rance is a brilliant CHB. Sydney Stack was an inspired selection. And Pickett was a feel-good story for the ages.

All of that was said honestly, without a trace of irony.

Now that we have that on the table. Can Richmond supporters (a few certain ones, in particular) please, please, PLEASE tone it down a little*. It's getting REALLY tedious.

* Yes I know that seems an unreasonable request when I am almost frothing at the mouth. But it's things like rampant BS from Richmond fans that keep me off the main board most of the time when I would really enjoy talking non-Carlton footy.

/rant

Sorry champ, but I know for certain you think our posters are bad wait till you guys actually win a flag …. and I'm being serious.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
I think some posters are taking this thread a bit too seriously, my Richmond/Gold Coast combined team was a bit of fun, yes I could have possibly put witts in there, yes maybe even fiorini but I only put ex tiger Ellis. I did think of another couple of suns in miles and Corey Ellis but thought that may have been pushing it. Anyway I was genuinely interested in seeing everyone’s contributions to their own teams combos so please continue to add. And for those getting a bit worked up, just relax, take a deep breath and smile.

Last edited:

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
B - Sheppard, Pearce, Wilson
HB - Hurn, McGovern, Luke Ryan
C - Gaff, Shuey, S Hill
HF - Walters, Darling, Cripps
F - Liam Ryan, Kennedy, Matera
R - Naitanui, Fyfe, Yeo
Int - Sheed, Lobb, Kelly, Redden

extremely generous of you

wilson, Ryan, Matera and Lobb ? did lol

West Coast plus Fyfe maybe Walters

extremely generous of you

wilson, Ryan, Matera and Lobb ? did lol

West Coast plus Fyfe maybe Walters

Wilson is ahead of whoever we have out of Cole/Duggan/Nelson, and I think Luke Ryan is set for a big one in 2020 (Lewis Jetta is great and all but he's not going to get any better next year). Brandon Matera is pretty underrated around these parts, I think he's ahead of whoever our third small/medium forward is (assuming Rioli is out for a year).

Walters isn't even marginal, he's a step above any of our non key position forwards except perhaps Jamie Cripps and he's in the combined side anyway.

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
Wilson is ahead of whoever we have out of Cole/Duggan/Nelson, and I think Luke Ryan is set for a big one in 2020 (Lewis Jetta is great and all but he's not going to get any better next year). Brandon Matera is pretty underrated around these parts, I think he's ahead of whoever our third small/medium forward is (assuming Rioli is out for a year).

Walters isn't even marginal, he's a step above any of our non key position forwards except perhaps Jamie Cripps and he's in the combined side anyway.

Hey FP - I'd like to acknowledge how measured your response is. The unfortunate thing is many of your fellow fans have just taken the 'well he plays in purple so he must be shite!!' approach (they probably even debated in their own tiny minds for a moment whether Fyfe warranted a place).

To the other WC fans - your comments are just so laughable it's untrue. There isn't a team in the land where Fyfe, Walters and Pearce are not walk up starters - and I realise that in saying that I'm putting them in the best 22 in the land. But that's the truth of it - Fyfe and Walters both comfortably made the AA team last year and Pearce was in most commentators AA team at the bye last year (before he broke his foot).

And that in a nutshell is Freo's problem at the moment - our top five from last year - Fyfe, Walters, BHill, Pearce, Ryan - were all in AA form (don't believe me - then go back and review the 2019 AA team thread on this forum) but then the drop from #5 to #6 is huge. I'm not as convinced as Forward Press is that Wilson or Matera make the combined team, but then I don't really watch many WC games. I think Lobb makes it in because he gives a really good balance to the team as a Forward/Ruck (especially if Nic Nat is only playing 60% of game time). Hamling is a bloody good defender, but in reality there are six better back men between WC and Freo - so he only makes it on to the bench if at all.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
Fair call.

But will the internet still be around?

LOL well played.

I feel the blues are starting to look better, whether that's next year or the year after I'm not sure, but hopefully we are still up the top half of the ladder when it happens because even though I hate you guys, I love to hate you guys even more LOL

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I
Hey FP - I'd like to acknowledge how measured your response is. The unfortunate thing is many of your fellow fans have just taken the 'well he plays in purple so he must be shite!!' approach (they probably even debated in their own tiny minds for a moment whether Fyfe warranted a place).

To the other WC fans - your comments are just so laughable it's untrue. There isn't a team in the land where Fyfe, Walters and Pearce are not walk up starters - and I realise that in saying that I'm putting them in the best 22 in the land. But that's the truth of it - Fyfe and Walters both comfortably made the AA team last year and Pearce was in most commentators AA team at the bye last year (before he broke his foot).

And that in a nutshell is Freo's problem at the moment - our top five from last year - Fyfe, Walters, BHill, Pearce, Ryan - were all in AA form (don't believe me - then go back and review the 2019 AA team thread on this forum) but then the drop from #5 to #6 is huge. I'm not as convinced as Forward Press is that Wilson or Matera make the combined team, but then I don't really watch many WC games. I think Lobb makes it in because he gives a really good balance to the team as a Forward/Ruck (especially if Nic Nat is only playing 60% of game time). Hamling is a bloody good defender, but in reality there are six better back men between WC and Freo - so he only makes it on to the bench if at all.

I dont subscribe to your newsletter. Walters kicked 10 more goals than Ryan this year, is 6 years older and has gammy knees. No thank you.

Pearce is not replacing Duggan on the HBF and I will fite anyone who says otherwise.

I

I dont subscribe to your newsletter. Walters kicked 10 more goals than Ryan this year, is 6 years older and has gammy knees. No thank you.

Pearce is not replacing Duggan on the HBF and I will fite anyone who says otherwise.

Walters is only 28, played all games, had career highs in tackles and possessions and went at 2 goals a game playing Ross Lyon football. One of the easiest All Australian selections.

It's easy to hang s**t on the Dockers (fun too) but this is one player (flopping aside) that I'd be very happy to have in blue and gold.

Pearce isn't a HBF and in any event he's ahead of Duggan on exposed form. Love Duggo but I'm realistic here.

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

rubbish, Wilson and Matera are potato's

Jetta, Duggs >>> Wilson ...easily

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Cant see Walters or Pearce as walk-up starts TBH. IMHO neither cracks West Coast's forwardline if all available players are fit, and I could only see Walters making the midfield if you want to move on someone line Redden (which I wouldn't).

The rest are various flavours of Original Potato Chip. Do not want.

lol

Aug 20, 2013
Geelong/Carlton:

FB: Stewart ~ Blicavs ~ Simpson
HB: Docherty ~ Weitering ~ Clark
C: Walsh ~ Cripps ~ Duncan
HF: Ablett ~ C Curnow ~ J Martin
FF: McKay ~ Hawkins ~ Miers
R: Kreuzer ~ Dangerfield ~ Selwood
INT: Steven ~ Murphy ~ E Curnow ~ Dahlhaus

Geelong: 11
Carlton: 11