List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Or is he more of an Aaron Francis/ Darcy Fogarty -Talented in betweener that doesn't have a tank? Though Francis did go through the middle a bit in juniors from memory.

Hurn, while built like a tank is only 187 and capable of playing small.
His overall athletic traits look superior to those names, especially for a midfield role, and the penny has dropped about him losing weight. Will need a lot of work to make the transition, but could just as easily play key defender for a side.

I don't think he's lit up the draft boards like those two did with eye-catching performances, but he is consistently good and arguably consistently better.

I loved Francis as a junior but he was an unconvincing mid.
Fogarty was transitioning into more midfield time in his draft year when he got injured, but looked far more promising than Francis in that respect. Disappointing that neither have doubled down with getting themselves slim.

If Sharp goes top 25 being that outside AND only a 60 percent by foot, and I think not amazing speed- I’ll eat my hat.
Last I checked, 60% DE by foot is still average to above average, and Sharp's endurance and speed mix is very much in the elite category.

He goes on long runs and then tries to deliver the killer ball, and I think his stats reflect that. If he can iron out his inside game and his decision making when the numbers are ahead of him, he's value in the 20-30 range, no doubt.

Not for 9 but from those highlights Bergman's ceiling looks high, can see why the dogs are linked at 13
Why not for 9?

Is it a genuine prospect that we would propose a swap 9<->10 with Freo in return for not bidding on Henry?
If so, why wouldn't we rinse and repeat 10<->11 with Hawks re Finn?

Is it a genuine prospect that we would propose a swap 9<->10 with Freo in return for not bidding on Henry?
If so, why wouldn't we rinse and repeat 10<->11 with Hawks re Finn?
As a guess, because if we did potentially bid on Henry, it may be because we actually want him....and Freo would be aware of that.

Hawks don't tend to 'overpay' on how they rate the player's value - if we came to them and said we're looking at bidding on Finn unless we trade picks 9 and 10, and you give us pick 30 for our 43, they'd likely tell us "ok, bid on him then", calling our bluff to potentially burn a pick on a player we're not after.

Definitely Freo is worth a shot though.....both clubs would win on that trade if we also got pick 22 in exchange for 43. The only risk here is that Freo select the player we were looking to draft at pick 9.

I think at our selection our choice will be between (Ash or Stephens) and Kemp.

These will be gone
Rowell Anderson Jackson Young Greene Flanders Robertson Serong plus either (Ash or Stephens)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a guess, because if we did potentially bid on Henry, it may be because we actually want him....and Freo would be aware of that.

Hawks don't tend to 'overpay' on how they rate the player's value - if we came to them and said we're looking at bidding on Finn unless we trade picks 9 and 10, and you give us pick 30 for our 43, they'd likely tell us "ok, bid on him then", calling our bluff to potentially burn a pick on a player we're not after.

Definitely Freo is worth a shot though.....both clubs would win on that trade if we also got pick 22 in exchange for 43. The only risk here is that Freo select the player we were looking to draft at pick 9.
I think if Robertson is still on the board at our pick at 9 then Freo will be more than ready to give us 10 & 22 for our 9 maybe with 43 but I’d hard ball them and say who are you going to get at 22 that is better than Robertson, because that’s the equation for them, its Robertson and Henry or it’s Henry and whoever they can get at 22, not a hard choice.

Got us taking Serong at 9, with Kemp and Maginness still on the board but Stephens gone the pick before.

how do you feel about serong at our selection
When watching Serong - given my rather inexpert attempts at draft coverage; I don't have the time I used to - I was reminded of Ben Lennon and/or Laverde; a player who is strong and thus capable of breaking tackles at U18's level, but someone whose agility, straight line pace would be exposed at the top level. His skills certainly were not impressive, IMO.

Like I said, I'm not an expert, nor have I seen overmuch of the kid, but I would prefer we spend our pick another way.

When watching Serong - given my rather inexpert attempts at draft coverage; I don't have the time I used to - I was reminded of Ben Lennon and/or Laverde; a player who is strong and thus capable of breaking tackles at U18's level, but someone whose agility, straight line pace would be exposed at the top level. His skills certainly were not impressive, IMO.

Like I said, I'm not an expert, nor have I seen overmuch of the kid, but I would prefer we spend our pick another way.
Agree. I doubt we'll select him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back