Howe Roughead Maynard
IQ Moore Crisp
Sidebottom DeGoey Phillips
Elliot Mihocek Stephenson
WHE Cox Beams

Grundy Adams Pendlebury

Treloar Sier Langdon ?

I revel in trying to figure this out.
For me there's a clear 21 and then slot in whoever is best suited for each match.
Ideally it should be another forward for balance(JT,CB,Varcoe), but it could be Noble for more speed, a 3rd tall.
DeGoey and Beams to switch throughout the game & rest in the pocket
I see IQ and Murphy replacing Greenwood & Aish.
Shaz, Wills and (hopefully)Tyler B for Langdon, Sier and Beams respectively if they're not ready.
Reid to back up Cox until Cameron supplants him.
IQ, Murphy & Tyler B to get minimum 10 games.

JimBob10

Debutant
Oct 7, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our biggest deficiency in the big games over the last two years has been getting beaten at the coal face. For this reason we need to experiment with a different mix in there (at least for the pre season)

Best 22:

Maynard Roughead Howe
Crisp Moore IQ
Phillips Wills Sidebottom
Adams Mihocek Stephenson
Cox Beams Elliott
Grundy De Goey Sier

Mayne Langdon Pendlebury Treloar

Others who will no doubt ply every game because we will have injuries:

WHE Thomas Noble Brown Murphy

Crisp to play more midfield if his pace can be replaced in the backline by Noble and IQ
De Goey to play 50/50 midfield/forward
Beams to play 50/50 midfield/forward
Stephenson to play 40/60 wing/forward
Pendlebury, Treloar and Adams to play lots of minutes in non midfield positions. Maybe 60/40 mid/non mid. All could play half forward or half back.
Depending on match ups in the backline, we can start to swing Moore. Roughead, Langdon and Howe would be able to aerially cover most forward lines in the league.
Wills and Sier need to up their fitness base. Need to be playing 80% of games instead of 60-65% they play at the moment.

LarryKinn

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers LA Chargers
Players need to be utilized to best use their strengths.
Accordingly left footers should be played from the right pocket, flank & wing - Maynard, Crisp Phillips (also why I would start IQ on the other side to balance speed and rebound)
In the forward line DeGoey $ Stephenson should play right flank or pocket because of the preference to kick around the body, while Elliot & WHE have proven ablility to make the kick from the left flank and pocket

Fratbrat

Senior List
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Quaynor Moore Roughead
Langdon Howe Pendlebury
Maynard Adams Crisp
Mihocek Wilson Stephenson
Cameron Elliott Sidebottom

Grundy De Goey Treloar

Sier Beams Phillips Hoskin-Elliott

Last edited:

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Quaynor Roughead Howe
Maynard Moore Crisp

Grundy Adams Sier
Pendlebury Treloar Scharenberg

Stephenson Mihocek Hoskin-Elliot
Elliot Cox DeGoey

Treloar Beams Langdon Cameron/Reid

Not finished: depth. Agree not part of future best 22.
I think most weeks at least one of them will be part of our best 22, and those weeks will probably include finals. The idea of a season long best 22 is fairyland stuff where injuries don't occur, form is constant, as are the strengths and weaknesses of our opponents.

noideaatall

Premiership Player
May 14, 2011
home, sth of hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think most weeks at least one of them will be part of our best 22, and those weeks will probably include finals. The idea of a season long best 22 is fairyland stuff where injuries don't occur, form is constant, as are the strengths and weaknesses of our opponents.
Spot on. All of them played this year and did a fine job. I don't see any of them being an automatic selection through the year though and, in the ideal world we will not have, won't play. Scharenberg is the only one that could surprise us but I don't think his body will let him.

Spot on. All of them played this year and did a fine job. I don't see any of them being an automatic selection through the year though and, in the ideal world we will not have, won't play. Scharenberg is the only one that could surprise us but I don't think his body will let him.
I wouldn't put it past Reid and Varcoe either.

Considering how little footy he has played in recent years and how interrupted his preparation was again, Reid was surprisingly good in a few games this year.

With Varcoe, I think all our front and centre forwards struggled this year, because our structure and ball movement resulted in them not getting to enough contests and being significantly outnumbered when they did. I think he's on par with Richmond's small forwards, it's just that they work it to have more numbers at the fall of the ball.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Then we lose. Reid had 3 touches in his last game which was a final. He’s been finished for 2-3 years.

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
B. Langdon Roughead Howe
HB. Maynard Moore Crisp
C. Sidebottom Pendlebury Phillips
HF. Beams Mihocek Hoskin-Elliott
F. De Goey Cox Elliott
R. Grundy Treloar Adams
I. Quaynor Sier C.Brown Stephenson
E. Cameron Mayne Noble Thomas

Hopefully injuries don't bite too much for once (who am I kidding?)

When they do come, looking forward to Murphy, Tyler Brown and Noble building in particular

I still think Scharenberg has plenty to offer us too

Fratbrat

Senior List
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Quaynor Keane Roughead
Langdon Howe Pendlebury
Maynard Adams Jack Crisp
Mihocek Moore Stephenson

Grundy De Goey Treloar

Sier WHE Beams Phillips

Last edited:

Curto

Team Captain
Jan 31, 2005
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Quaynor. Roughead. Scharenberg
Howe. Moore. Pendlebury

Grundy. Adams. Beams
Maynard. Treloar. Sier

Sidebottom Mihocek. De Goey
Elliot. Cox. Stephenson

Int: WHE. Crisp Phillips. Langdon

Emer: Cameron Brown Daicos Noble Varcoe

Fratbrat

Senior List
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
There will be improvement from the kids. But the real quality is coming back from the medical room.

Best 22: 2019

(The 22 players that played 14 or more games)

Maynard Roughead Crisp
Howe Moore Greenwood
WHE Phillips Sidebottom
C Brown Mihocek Elliott
De Goey Cox Stephenson

Grundy Pendlebury Treloar

Aish Varcoe Mayne Thomas

12 games or less:

Adams (12) Beams (9) Langdon (9) Scharenberg (7) Sier (6)

Just replacing those players produces a very solid team with Cameron, Noble, Quaynor, T Brown, Murphy Kelly/Keane etc to come!

Crisp Roughead Howe
Maynard Moore Langdon
Phillips Adams Sidebottom
De Goey Mihocek Beams
Stephenson Cox Elliott

Grundy Pendlebury Treloar

Sier WHE Thomas C Brown

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Quaynor Moore Roughead
Langdon Howe Pendlebury
Maynard Adams Crisp
Mihocek Wilson Stephenson

Grundy De Goey Treloar

Sier Beams Phillips Hoskin-Elliott

Pendles off HB? :think:

Nah, would rather Crispy there and Bruzzy on the other - both penetrating by foot and will likely improve next year. Langdon has IQ's spot (for now)

I'm guessing you have Pendles there to make a smooth transitional exit over the next two years? Because of his age? If so ok can't ignore that but we're looking at a player in his last two have been close to his best- and that's hard to judge given his consistent exceptional output.

My money is Pendles is looking at a 350 game career with minimal downturn in performance in the next 49 games.

LarryKinn

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers LA Chargers
Not enough Christopher Mayne in teams
In a perfect world he plays VFL all season. Limited player that tries his guts out.
Prefer Sidebottom, Treloar, Stephenson, WHE, Noble & Elliot before Mayne on the wing

Back