Being average at best for last 60 years, Why are the Pies so high profile with a high membership?

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
No they haven't unless you view contending as a success which I don't.

Yeah, I do.

I am proud of Eagles 4 flags. That is the accomplishment I am proudest of.

But I am also extremely proud that the club is the current record holder for most finals appearances in AFL era. In an era of equalisation, being one of a handful of teams to be in the mix each year is a tremendous achievement.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Yeah, I do.

I am proud of Eagles 4 flags. That is the accomplishment I am proudest of.

But I am also extremely proud that the club is the current record holder for most finals appearances in AFL era. In an era of equalisation, being one of a handful of teams to be in the mix each year is a tremendous achievement.

And so you should be proud, what do I have to be proud of about the Pies? The media hyperbole? Forever contending but not succeeding? What is it?

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
And so you should be proud, what do I have to be proud of about the Pies? The media hyperbole? Forever contending but not succeeding? What is it?

I think it is more about the idea of 'hope'.

Things can turn around very quickly. Just because the pies have lost more grand finals doesn't mean they are doomed to lose GF forever. You never know what is around the corner.

For instance, going back to the Eagles. Going in to 2018 we had won 1 flag in the last 23 years. Prior to 2018 there was a growing perception of the Eagles being a spent force of yesteryear.All of a sudden, one extra flag and we have 4 overall and are now at the forefront of AFL again.

As the bulldogs showed us in 2016, it only takes one month of inspired football to win the big one.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I think it is more about the idea of 'hope'.

Things can turn around very quickly. Just because the pies have lost more grand finals doesn't mean they are doomed to lose GF forever. You never know what is around the corner.

For instance, going back to the Eagles. Going in to 2018 we had won 1 flag in the last 23 years. Prior to 2018 there was a growing perception of the Eagles being a spent force of yesteryear.All of a sudden, one extra flag and we have 4 overall and are now at the forefront of AFL again.

As the bulldogs showed us in 2016, it only takes one month of inspired football to win the big one.

I'm not disputing that, in fact the dam wall has to burst at some point that's my view. Keep contending and they'll snag one, not the point - being a Pies fan is forever disappointing with the rare, extremely rare euphoric moments.

Having watched that many GF defeats since 77 as a kid is not fun. 42 appearances for 15 wins does not validate the reverence and profile the Pies have.

Being a wc fan is the opposite end and should have a higher profile than the Pies nationally but they don't.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not disputing that, in fact the dam wall has to burst at some point that's my view. Keep contending and they'll snag one, not the point - being a Pies fan is forever disappointing with the rare, extremely rare euphoric moments.

Having watched that many GF defeats since 77 as a kid is not fun. 42 appearances for 15 wins does not validate the reverence and profile the Pies have.

Being a wc fan is the opposite end and should have a higher profile than the Pies nationally but they don't.

I think you are just being overly pessimistic.

If you want to talk about disappointment, ask some of the tigers fans or Saints fans. They are a couple of fan bases who have been through a lot over the years.

Collingwood are somewhere in the middle. They don't experience the highs as often as some clubs, they also never go as low as some clubs have like the Richmond pre 2017 or Carlton since 2002. I think that 'mediocrity' for a lack of a better word probably has its own unique disappointment with it.

You've seen two flags in your lifetime. That's about the normal range for most people.

It could be worse. You could support Freo!

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I think you are just being overly pessimistic.

If you want to talk about disappointment, ask some of the tigers fans or Saints fans.

Collingwood are somewhere in the middle. They don't experience the highs as often as some clubs, they also never go as low as some clubs have like the Richmond pre 2017 or Carlton since 2002.

You've seen two flags in your lifetime. That's about the normal range for most people.

It could be worse. You could support Freo!

Pessimistic! That's probably a bit far reaching.

Disappointment for tigers fans? Really?

They haven't seen 9 gf losses in my lifetime, just being in GF's is not satisfying unless you win it - may as well be like St Kilda instead of false hope all the time.

Only Pies fans know that much disappointment. That's not pessimism that's reality.

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond

Reverence ? Get your hand off it. Your like the little kid who shows his picture that he’s drawn and says “ look at the my picture I drew it’s not very good is it ?

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
The eagles are loathed because of their success, that's why Freo fans mudsling the chardonnay card, the Pies are loathed because Pies. Very difficult to dispute that.

WC fans label Freo fans as bogans but it doesn't go as much as Freo fans mud sling the other way. You can't loathe Freo for being successful either and my bet is the Pies are more loathed than Freo here because Pies.

Ok you begrudgingly respect the Pies as an opponent, but you can't begrudgingly respect them for their success because they haven't had any (or barely).
Every team would have a bogan element in their fan base, Eagles certainly do. There would be a wide cross section of the community or society in every fan base, so it's kind of irrational to single out one demographic, but we all do that as opposing fans, scratch away at the ugliest scab on each club, mudsling etc.
I haven't read this entire thread, but am not sure what your point is? You seem to be irritated by everyone's comments. For mine, Free TK seemed to sum it up re the Pies predicament. You could be in the same situation re lack of Silverware, but in a much lowlier club or fan base. At least you have the comfort and support of a strong, proud and passionate club. More to the point, what do you want to do about it? If you're not happy with Pies and are rankled by their high profile and high membership-and that they don't seem to deserve that-not sure what you can do? Jump ship? Tigers are looking red-hot!
Or Eagles window is open, you could try flying high....?
Lighten up dude, when you win that tin mug, how sweet will that be?
And you know that day's gonna come......................................................................equalisation.
(after all, your guys (Vic) are pulling the levers.)

A Banderas

All Australian
Nov 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Imagine what it would feel like as a supporter turning up to grand final after grand final knowing that you have already lost before the ball is bounced

thats how it feels to be a collingwood fan. the original teaser club. the perennial bridesmaids of the competition ! what is it something like 43 grand final appearences for only 15 wins and 13 of those were over 60 years ago with 11 before wwII . just a tragedy

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Reverence ? Get your hand off it. Your like the little kid who shows his picture that he’s drawn and says “ look at the my picture I drew it’s not very good is it ?

Pffft, don't be a d***head. lol

If you don't want to look stupid contribute something instead of pot shotting me for no reason.

Fargin hilarious:tearsofjoy:

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Every team would have a bogan element in their fan base, Eagles certainly do. There would be a wide cross section of the community or society in every fan base, so it's kind of irrational to single out one demographic, but we all do that as opposing fans, scratch away at the ugliest scab on each club, mudsling etc.
I haven't read this entire thread, but am not sure what your point is? You seem to be irritated by everyone's comments. For mine, Free TK seemed to sum it up re the Pies predicament. You could be in the same situation re lack of Silverware, but in a much lowlier club or fan base. At least you have the comfort and support of a strong, proud and passionate club. More to the point, what do you want to do about it? If you're not happy with Pies and are rankled by their high profile and high membership-and that they don't seem to deserve that-not sure what you can do? Jump ship? Tigers are looking red-hot!
Or Eagles window is open, you could try flying high....?
Lighten up dude, when you win that tin mug, how sweet will that be?
And you know that day's gonna come......................................................................equalisation.
(after all, your guys (Vic) are pulling the levers.)

If you read the op you'd know I'm a descendant of a Collingwood captain, jumping ship is never a thought even if I wasn't.

I don't know how you view my posts as "irritated". Sure following the Pies has been disappointing but that doesn't mean I'm irritated by others comments.

The thread is merely asking the question why the Pies have adulation from a lot of their fan base and respect / loathing / reverence from the opposition fans given their mediocre on field history in that time. It's in the same level of success as lowly clubs but have the following of a powerhouse club, in fact some would argue they are a powerhouse club.

If anything Pies fans are a steely lot, after all the failure they're still manic supporters. There is nothing I or any other fan could do even if we wanted to - that's up to the club.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
If you read the op you'd know I'm a descendant of a Collingwood captain, jumping ship is never a thought even if I wasn't.

I don't know how you view my posts as "irritated". Sure following the Pies has been disappointing but that doesn't mean I'm irritated by others comments.

The thread is merely asking the question why the Pies have adulation from a lot of their fan base and respect / loathing / reverence from the opposition fans given their mediocre on field history in that time. It's in the same level of success as lowly clubs but have the following of a powerhouse club, in fact some would argue they are a powerhouse club.

If anything Pies fans are a steely lot, after all the failure they're still manic supporters. There is nothing I or any other fan could do even if we wanted to - that's up to the club.

If Collingwood is mediocre than so is every club except Hawthorn & West Coast.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Imagine what it would feel like as a supporter turning up to grand final after grand final knowing that you have already lost before the ball is bounced

thats how it feels to be a collingwood fan. the original teaser club. the perennial bridesmaids of the competition ! what is it something like 43 grand final appearences for only 15 wins and 13 of those were over 60 years ago with 11 before wwII . just a tragedy

As much as this looks like a dig at Collingwood from a tigs fan who's finally seen some relevance for their club after decades of drought. It's not far off the mark!

If there is one thing that Pie fans can hold their head high about it is their steely resolve, GF loss after GF loss they still turn out in droves knowing weight of numbers will eventually get them cups.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
If Collingwood is mediocre than so is every club except Hawthorn & West Coast.

Their on field performance in that time has been mediocre, that can't be disputed. No where near the level of wc and hawks, you're right just like most other clubs but higher profile and generally more fans and members than the other mediocres.

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
What it is with all these therapy threads when Richmond win a premiership.
Yes Collingwood’s win/ lose ratio is fantastic . Yes their win/ loss ratio for grand finals is poor. Yes Collingwood is a great club. Yes a lot of people support them. Yes they were the most successful club premierships wise for a long time in their history.
I just don’t understand the point of this thread. Unless you think something supernatural has occurred ? Otherwise it is just “ what it is is what it is “
The saints have won one premiership but still have good support ? Why why

You must have some idea what it’s like to lose finals, especially preliminary finals. Rather make the GF and lose than just miss the finals any time. Richmond have won 12 & been runners up 12 times.

Last edited:

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Ok, irritated maybe wrong choice of word, but you're clearly not satisfied with some poster's replies or indeed with the Pies lack of tin mugs. I thought the Pies ARE a powerhouse club, along with Tigers and Eagles..(membership and financially).They've certainly had some great wins-against the Eagles amongst others. Some of those wins had us 'hating+loathing' for ages. That extra time final match of 2007(?) still makes me loathe 'traitor Mick' and the Pies when I think of it. ((;
I think you've answered your own questions or the title of the thread.
It's only a matter of time, even if it's been a long time already, odds are you're getting closer to the silverware..and if the Footy Gods are forever against you and that is your fate or destiny, then I guess you embrace that for what it is..it seems you all will anyway.

A Banderas

All Australian
Nov 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
You must have some idea what it’s like to lose finals, especially preliminary finals. Rather make the GF and lose than just miss the finals any time.
yes ! just happy to be in it are the pies. long may it continue while we at Richmond would rather win it all when we make it . 2 flags in 3 years vs 2 in 60

yes ! just happy to be in it are the pies. long may it continue while we at Richmond would rather win it all when we make it . 2 flags in 3 years vs 2 in 60
Another way of putting it is 2 flags in 39 years to 2 flags in 21 years, anyone can play that game.

That explains the 37 years wilderness turn.

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond

You’ll be telling us soon Collingwood aren’t part of the Melbourne big 4.

Your asking a question everyone knows the answer to including yourself. Your making things up too suit this incredible phenomenon “ of worst performing club how come we are so revered and popular ?“
Your pop is a Richmond Hall of Fame member .
Since 2000 you have played in 5 grand finals.
So you tell us what you have learned so far as to why ? That you couldn’t have possible known before you started on this “ let’s talk about Collingwood mission because Richmond makes me feel frightened “

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Because Collingwood is a well run club that has a long history of being one of the top clubs in Victoria, still are one of the top clubs. They're much easier to like than Geelong or St Kilda.

Back