Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Today I listened to the 3KZ coverage of the 1972 grand final on Blueseum.
Jack Dyer and Ian Major were fantastic.
Ian Major was my favourite footy radio commentator; he was professional, clear, concise and buoyant.
Jack Dyer had his unique style, i.e. "gets pulled around the neck and will take the free kick"..."has a flying shot towards the goalposts"

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I remember watching this game live on tv. Always loved big earls aggression and Terry Wheeler’s barracking for us in the last quarter. Magic
Why did Terry Wheeler seem to barrack for us a lot ?
I assume he must have been a Carlton supporter before he played for Dogs and still was even after his career going by his calls.

something about this article isn't sitting right with me........

Syd-Jackson.jpg1.jpg

I remember watching this game live on tv. Always loved big earls aggression and Terry Wheeler’s barracking for us in the last quarter. Magic

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Was fantastic watching the game last night. Just to see some of those names from all those years ago. Even someone like Clape whose defensive pressure was immense

blueycarlton

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2008
carnegie
AFL Club
Carlton
Omfg..that used to sh1t me no end ..
I lived and worked in a remote part of the country in the mid 80's. Match of the day was the Melbourne ABC radio broadcast, but it included every horse race in the country! When it wasn't a Carlton game you had to wait for the around the grounds score checks. ( 6 games on a Saturday in those days) 9/10 times they would cross for a race, odds, correct weight etc. You could go an hour before getting an update on your match. If I was at work I would arrange for a Melboune collegue to have a radio placed next to a phone. I would ring the number and listen to the match.
The only footy on TV was The Winners on a Monday night. Saturday arvo TV was a rugby game from Brisbane played on a cow paddock watched by a few people sitting in their cars. This was followed by a repeat of last week's Countdown, then an hour's replay of the rugby match that was just on! Good old ABC.
I still, just, remember the olden days before the internet.

Dadda Dave

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I lived and worked in a remote part of the country in the mid 80's. Match of the day was the Melbourne ABC radio broadcast, but it included every horse race in the country! When it wasn't a Carlton game you had to wait for the around the grounds score checks. ( 6 games on a Saturday in those days) 9/10 times they would cross for a race, odds, correct weight etc. You could go an hour before getting an update on your match. If I was at work I would arrange for a Melboune collegue to have a radio placed next to a phone. I would ring the number and listen to the match.
The only footy on TV was The Winners on a Monday night. Saturday arvo TV was a rugby game from Brisbane played on a cow paddock watched by a few people sitting in their cars. This was followed by a repeat of last week's Countdown, then an hour's replay of the rugby match that was just on! Good old ABC.
I still, just, remember the olden days before the internet.
In the early 80s after moving to QLD I had to wait until Monday morning to see if we'd won or not from the newspaper .

Great article Thy on Syddy Jackson. What a man, i have about 10,000 times more respect for him than i have for Adam Goodes.
that's part of my problem, ss..........

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Today I listened to the 3KZ coverage of the 1972 grand final on Blueseum.
Jack Dyer and Ian Major were fantastic.
Ian Major was my favourite footy radio commentator; he was professional, clear, concise and buoyant.
Jack Dyer had his unique style, i.e. "gets pulled around the neck and will take the free kick"..."has a flying shot towards the goalposts"
Damn you B177, until reading your post, above, I’ve been comfortable in my own view that nothing good has ever come out the Richmond footy club. Must now admit I was wrong; Jack Dyer was beyond merely good, he was an absolute legend.

Back