Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So large scientific publications not changing their publishing criteria is more of a threat to science than a government that makes teaching science properly illegal?

This thread has gone to s**t since K4E and SLF left.
SLF made this thread worse, not better. It figures you'd miss him because you could share the emotion fuelled stupidity. SLF also wouldn't have a clue because if you combined the total number of publications you both have you'd end up with zero.

Yes because the very few religious dingle berries that write those answers won't carry on into science. They would get riden out quick smart. Prestigious scientific journals changing the parameters is a big issue. As i said before human ethics committees are already getting testy about 50/50 participation in trials. Won't be long before journals don't accept manuscripts unless you've met the quota.

SLF made this thread worse, not better. It figures you'd miss him because you could share the emotion fuelled stupidity. SLF also wouldn't have a clue because if you combined the total number of publications you both have you'd end up with zero.

Yes because the very few religious dingle berries that write those answers won't carry on into science. They would get riden out quick smart. Prestigious scientific journals changing the parameters is a big issue. As i said before human ethics committees are already getting testy about 50/50 participation in trials. Won't be long before journals don't accept manuscripts unless you've met the quota.

No it isn't. Its hiring parameters not publication ones.

emotion fuelled stupidity

Like this:

Won't be long before journals don't accept manuscripts unless you've met the quota.

Fear mongering bollox.

You seriously don't see a state legislature interfering with the examination of science to promote post factual marking as a bigger issue than gender quotas for editors?

If that's what not being "emotional" does for you I think I'll keep it up.

Here's the thing GG.

Forcing "religious dingle berries" to learn about science or fail is one of the things thats helps promote an open minded, forward looking society capable of putting a human on a chunk of rock that isn't earth.

With the coup in Bolivia, it’s starting to get real hard to ignore the rise of far right taking power across the world.

Hey, blame the lunacy of contemporary left politics. How else can we explain Trump, Boris & Morrison?

Working class politics needs a revolution.

The Sunday military coup in Bolivia has put in place a government which appears likely to reverse a decision by just-resigned President Evo Morales to cancel an agreement with a German company for developing lithium deposits in the Latin American country for batteries like those in electric cars. "Bolivia's lithium belongs to the Bolivian people," tweeted Washington Monthly contributor David Atkins. "Not to multinational corporate cabals."
The coup, which on Sunday resulted in Morales resigning and going into hiding, was the result of days of protests from right-wing elements angry at the leftist Morales government. Sen. Jeanine Añez, of the center-right party Democratic Unity, is currently the interim president in the unstable post-coup government in advance of elections.
Investment analyst publisher Argus urged investors to keep an eye on the developing situation and noted that gas and oil production from foreign companies in Bolivia had remained steady.
The Morales move on Nov. 4 to cancel the December 2018 agreement with Germany's ACI Systems Alemania (ACISA) came after weeks of protests from residents of the Potosí area. The region has 50% to 70% of the world's lithium reserves in the Salar de Uyuni salt flats.
Among other clients, ACISA provides batteries to Tesla; Tesla's stock rose Monday after the weekend.

Its neo colonialism. * what the residents think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, and he has no better example than Mr 4 Shoulder reco’s himself, Robbie Tarrant, to guide him in his strength rebuilding.
No it isn't. Its hiring parameters not publication ones.

emotion fuelled stupidity

Like this:

Won't be long before journals don't accept manuscripts unless you've met the quota.

Fear mongering bollox.
How is it emotionally fuelled? It's equality of outcome not equality of opportunity. There is no emotion in it. The journals have said that for themselves.

It's not fear-mongering bollox at all. You haven't been involved in the process of conducting a scientific trial, going through human ethics and dealing with the committee/s and then the peer-review process. A few years ago ethics committees didn't ask gender rep in trials. Gradually they have begun asking the question. This year some universities in Australia have started making suggestions - even when highlighting that it may not always be possible due to various constraints. It doesn't take a brainiac to see a trend developing. It also doesn't take a brainiac to put those circumstances together with what BMJ and The Lancet stated. You can't do acting expert with firefighting and expect people to not question you and then do the same in my area of expertise. You have zero experience here just like I've had putting out fires (a lie. I've used a fire extinguisher before)
You seriously don't see a state legislature interfering with the examination of science to promote post factual marking as a bigger issue than gender quotas for editors?

If that's what not being "emotional" does for you I think I'll keep it up.
1 state vs. 2 of the biggest scientific journals in the world. Correct, one isn't even in the same hemisphere as what you're suggesting.
Here's the thing GG.

Forcing "religious dingle berries" to learn about science or fail is one of the things thats helps promote an open minded, forward looking society capable of putting a human on a chunk of rock that isn't earth.
How many people are religious today? The numbers are lessening. Religious nutjobs are decreasing in number whereas stupidity in the form of quotas is increasing more and more by the day and infecting everything.
Maybe.

And it depends what you mean by "publications".
Not baiting him at all. No one on the planet in their right mind would think a clickbait newspaper article is the same as a peer-reviewed paper. No one.

How is it emotionally fuelled? It's equality of outcome not equality of opportunity. There is no emotion in it. The journals have said that for themselves.

How many times do you lot (the anti quota people) have to be told that there is no equality of opportunity. All the rejection of that idea is based on emotion not reason.

It's not fear-mongering bollox at all. You haven't been involved in the process of conducting a scientific trial, going through human ethics and dealing with the committee/s and then the peer-review process. A few years ago ethics committees didn't ask gender rep in trials. Gradually they have begun asking the question.

You don't know that, don't assume it. But thats irrelevant its certainly nothing I have any knowledge about this century.

re the bold - Why is this a problem? How can you be sure it isn't a reasonable position?

and please answer the question reasonably and honestly. i won't give you any s**t about your answer, i might question it but I promise I'll try to be respectful.

This year some universities in Australia have started making suggestions - even when highlighting that it may not always be possible due to various constraints. It doesn't take a brainiac to see a trend developing. It also doesn't take a brainiac to put those circumstances together with what BMJ and The Lancet stated

What trend specifically? You're hinting around something but not explicitly stating what the problem with this is. I genuinely don't see it.

You can't do acting expert with firefighting and expect people to not question you and then do the same in my area of expertise. You have zero experience here just like I've had putting out fires (a lie. I've used a fire extinguisher before)

I don't quite follow the bold AND I still don't understand the problem, (and by all means question me about what I claim. I'm always trying to learn more about what I do with fire fighting and I'm not precious enough to think i'm always right. Far from it actually. I constantly question and self assess what i'm doing and constantly chase and try to take on feedback even if I disagree with it.)

How is gender representation a problem in this context?

1 state vs. 2 of the biggest scientific journals in the world. Correct, one isn't even in the same hemisphere as what you're suggesting.

They aren't doing the same thing. You're comparing a potential trend that you think may cause problems with an actual event that directly does.

How many people are religious today? The numbers are lessening. Religious nutjobs are decreasing in number whereas stupidity in the form of quotas is increasing more and more by the day and infecting everything.

I think you need to take more notice of how much influence religion has on how things are done.

Not baiting him at all. No one on the planet in their right mind would think a clickbait newspaper article is the same as a peer-reviewed paper. No one.

I've read articles he's linked of his own work that are very good quality and as valuable to any current public discussion or knowledge as any scientific journal.

And you're baiting him again. But you know that don't you.

It's actually a tragedy.

The poor & working classes of the western world are significantly politically underrepresented and badly need a functioning left political vessel.

They have been abandoned.
Leave your house then country more mon frere. You always go to simple solutions when problems are more nuanced and complicated than they initially seem.

Leave your house then country more mon frere. You always go to simple solutions when problems are more nuanced and complicated than they initially seem.

Peasant people picking rice in Cambodia somehow justifies Penny Wong?

And your response is based on your ego. There is growth to come for you. Good luck. Remember that breathing is the most important thing

Thanks Deepak. :thumbsu:

BIN-GO!

The privileged guilt politics element of the middle classes moved in, set up shop, and it's been all down hill ever since.

You can see them all over inner city Melbourne today, where they actively engaged in financial gentrification and drove out the working class.

This is all correct but ... it isn't the left that's responsible.

Yes there is something to that. Sounds like Morales backfliped on earlier agreeing to the 70 year deal. Possibly even giving the lions share to the indigenous people. Then this happens 🤔

ACISA told German broadcaster DW last week that the company was "confident that our lithium project will be resumed after a phase of political calmness and clarification."

Yes there is something to that. Sounds like Morales backfliped on earlier agreeing to the 70 year deal. Possibly even giving the lions share to the indigenous people. Then this happens 🤔

ACISA told German broadcaster DW last week that the company was "confident that our lithium project will be resumed after a phase of political calmness and clarification."

The contract was cancelled in response to local protests. I'm not sure of the detailed specifics of Lithium extraction but its easy to see the the potential to * things up. Its extracted from brine so it leaves tailings which will be stored in dams. Mining companies are notorious for ******* up the safety of tailings dams and not making sure that whatever toxic s**t is them gets contained and cleaned up. Dunno what the rainfall in that area spikes to but its a fair bet whatever tailings dams are made they won't be big enough to hold the increasing number of 100 year and 1000 year rain events we've started having.

These mining companies rule the *en world at the moment.

The contract was cancelled in response to local protests. I'm not sure of the detailed specifics of Lithium extraction but its easy to see the the potential to fu** things up. Its extracted from brine so it leaves tailings which will be stored in dams. Mining companies are notorious for ******* up the safety of tailings dams and not making sure that whatever toxic s**t is them gets contained and cleaned up. Dunno what the rainfall in that area spikes to but its a fair bet whatever tailings dams are made they won't be big enough to hold the increasing number of 100 year and 1000 year rain events we've started having.

These mining companies rule the fu**en world at the moment.

They sure do.

I've read articles he's linked of his own work that are very good quality and as valuable to any current public discussion or knowledge as any scientific journal.

And you're baiting him again. But you know that don't you.
giphy.gif

You don't bait someone you have on ignore. If you're the smartest guy in a room of pea brains it doesn't make you a smart person. That's all SLF is, a leader of low IQs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back