C'wealth 2018 Commonwealth Games 4-15 April

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this isn't the right place to ask this question, but it just popped into my head and I can't find an appropriate place to post it.

Are there any restrictions stopping an Olympic swimmer (or any other sport) competing in sprints, basketball, archery or any other sport other than what they are currently in.

Obviously training loads would get in the way, but if someone was good enough, are there any regulations stopping a competitor from participating in vastly different events.

I know this isn't the right place to ask this question, but it just popped into my head and I can't find an appropriate place to post it.

Are there any restrictions stopping an Olympic swimmer (or any other sport) competing in sprints, basketball, archery or any other sport other than what they are currently in.

Obviously training loads would get in the way, but if someone was good enough, are there any regulations stopping a competitor from participating in vastly different events.
Do you mean if they are banned from swimming ?

Do you mean if they are banned from swimming ?
No sorry, I worded it poorly.

Can a swimmer participate in shotput.
Can an archer do marathons.
Can Basketballer participate in swimming.

Basically can any Olympian participate in any event if they are good enough?

Other than training times and loads is there anything stopping an Olympian participating in multiple different events?
Like regulations, laws, asada or wada rules or the like.

I think I've worded it less stupidly now.

Other than training times and loads is there anything stopping an Olympian participating in multiple different events?

Ah. No I don’t think so. So long as they qualify for each event should be fine i would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, no rule. However if they're competing in a completely different sport there's a chance the events could clash.

The most likely are athletes that compete in the Pentathlon/decathlon ect. Carl Lewis won the long jump and 200m in LA.

Ah. No I don’t think so. So long as they qualify for each event should be fine i would have thought.
I imagine it would be a bit taxing with the training and conflicting
No, no rule. However if they're competing in a completely different sport there's a chance the events could clash.

The most likely are athletes that compete in the Pentathlon/decathlon ect. Carl Lewis won the long jump and 200m in LA.
Yeah I imagine there would be a few clashes. Event times, training times diets.

Yeah the decathlon/pentathlon events are what sprung the question to mind. Was thinking it'd be great to see someone go between vastly different events. Would be incredible if someone could place in, for example, synchronised swimming and boxing or judo and table tennis.

I'd love to see an athlete win a medal in two very different events, if it hasn't happened already.

I know it's not too different to something like a pentathlon where they are doing different things, but they generally have a link and it is counted as one event.

Are you asking if someone swims the 100m final wins silver then says the athletics starts on Friday I want to have a crack at the shot put can they?? If that's what you mean, then no he/she can't happen.

All sports at multi-sports events have qualifying standards for their sports. So if you haven't qualified for an event before the Games starts and your country hasn't registered you as a competitor for particular events then you can't do it. Nations have to list their competitors per sport usually a couple of weeks before it starts.

I doubt an Olympic 100m swimmer has thrown a shot put Olympic qualifying throw of 20.50 metres.

Nations are allowed to change their competitors within a sport once they have qualified and attend the Olympics etc.

Say someone has run a qualifying time for both the 400m but wants to only run the 200m because of time clash, but they at the last minute want to run the 400m, they wouldn't be allowed to if there are 3 competitors already registered for that country. If there are less than 3 then he/she would be allowed to run.

Relays for swimming and athletics allow for last minute changes eg injury and changes between heats and finals.

I'd love to see an athlete win a medal in two very different events, if it hasn't happened already.
Do you mean 2 different sports or 2 different events like 100m and long jump, like Carl Lewis?

Here is a list of 78 Olympians who have won medals in at least 2 different sports. You will note most of them were pre WWII. Some of them have a medal in a summer sports and another in a winter sports.

Are you asking if someone swims the 100m final wins silver then says the athletics starts on Friday I want to have a crack at the shot put can they?? If that's what you mean, then no he/she can't happen.

All sports at multi-sports events have qualifying standards for their sports. So if you haven't qualified for an event before the Games starts and your country hasn't registered you as a competitor for particular events then you can't do it. Nations have to list their competitors per sport usually a couple of weeks before it starts.

I doubt an Olympic 100m swimmer has thrown a shot put Olympic qualifying throw of 20.50 metres.

Nations are allowed to change their competitors within a sport once they have qualified and attend the Olympics etc.

Say someone has run a qualifying time for both the 400m but wants to only run the 200m because of time clash, but they at the last minute want to run the 400m, they wouldn't be allowed to if there are 3 competitors already registered for that country. If there are less than 3 then he/she would be allowed to run.

Relays for swimming and athletics allow for last minute changes eg injury and changes between heats and finals.
It was all purely hypothetical, I don't ever see a swimmer succeeding in shot put. Also aware of registration and qualifying standards/requirements.

But in my hypothetical I was thinking let's say it's a swimmer (or any sport/athlete) they qualify for the event and they get a spot on the team, but at the same time, they qualify for shotput (or any other sport) and a spot on that team is open also. The swimming coach and shotput coach are fine with the athlete splitting time between the two. Come time to compete would the governing body make them pick one event or if they qualify and the spots are open is it fair game.

I've found plenty of Olympians that have transferred between events over years, but I'm struggling to find anyone that has done it at a single Olympics.

Not surprising given it would be incredibly taxing nearing impossible trying to juggle two completely different events. It would just be amazing to see.

Haha yeah was just looking at that.

I'd like to see more athletes attempting this at a single Olympics rather than over a few years. There was a skier and snowboarder last year, but that's the only post 2000 within a single Olympics.

Good on them though. Hopefully we get to see some more foolhardy athletes come through and try to take on multiple varying events in one year's Olympics.

There's actually
Do you mean 2 different sports or 2 different events like 100m and long jump, like Carl Lewis?

Here is a list of 78 Olympians who have won medals in at least 2 different sports. You will note most of them were pre WWII. Some of them have a medal in a summer sports and another in a winter sports.

But in my hypothetical I was thinking let's say it's a swimmer (or any sport/athlete) they qualify for the event and they get a spot on the team, but at the same time, they qualify for shotput (or any other sport) and a spot on that team is open also. The swimming coach and shotput coach are fine with the athlete splitting time between the two. Come time to compete would the governing body make them pick one event or if they qualify and the spots are open is it fair game.
The international governing bodies wouldn't stop it. It would be Swimming Australia and Athletics Australia in your example that might say to the competitor, you have done a qualifying time, but you have to attend these camps and pre games events to be selected for the final team. If the individual says no they can't do them because of clashes with the other sports preparation and training, then that national governing body is within their rights to say no you can't do that, or if you do we wont select you for the olympics.

Last edited:
I'd bloody love to too. Body wouldn't have it though.

Based on your username, I’m goung to suggest shooting and synchronized swimming.

But I’m guessing that there is potentially a number of athletes that could qualify for different sports/disciplines. But to climb the mountain and win gold, you would need to focus solely on one, so those uber competitive and talented freaks wouldn’t throw away a chance to win one, as opposed to merely competing in two.

The international governing bodies wouldn't stop it. It would be Swimming Australia and Athletics Australia in your example that might say to the competitor, you have done a qualifying time, but you have to attend these camps and pre games events to be selected for the final team. If the individual says no they can't do them because of clashes with the other sports preparation and training, then that national governing boy is within their rights to say no you can't do that, or if you do we wont select you for the olympics.
Yeah thought those hurdles might exist.
Based on your username, I’m goung to suggest shooting and synchronized swimming.

But I’m guessing that there is potentially a number of athletes that could qualify for different sports/disciplines. But to climb the mountain and win gold, you would need to focus solely on one, so those uber competitive and talented freaks wouldn’t throw away a chance to win one, as opposed to merely competing in two.
I'm a dead eye shot for sure. Graceful swimming leaves much to be desired.

That's probably the best point. Athletes aiming for Olympics are pretty focussed and yeah, it'd be silly to spread yourself too thin.

Would still be a spectacle to behold watching a boxer do gymnastics.

Haha yeah was just looking at that.

I'd like to see more athletes attempting this at a single Olympics rather than over a few years. There was a skier and snowboarder last year, but that's the only post 2000 within a single Olympics.

Good on them though. Hopefully we get to see some more foolhardy athletes come through and try to take on multiple varying events in one year's Olympics.

There's actually
The most common double up medal winners - not the same olympics - but over a career are;

* Swimming and Water polo
* Modern Pentathlon and Fencing or Equestrian
* Biathlon and Cross Country Skiing
* Different types of skiing
* Athletics and Bobsleigh
* Cycling and Speed Skating or Skiing

Partly due to similarity of sports the first 4, the track athlete usually has explosive pace to push but isn't the driver in the bobsleigh and cycling and speed skating you need a really high VO2 max reading ie oxygen consumption capacity of the lungs, as both sports are oxygen depleting sports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back