Traded Brisbane trade #16, #52, #55, and #72 to Port Adelaide for #29, #71 and 2020 R1 Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

16 and meade is worse than 2020 first rounder and meade

They have essentially said pick 16 now is better than a top 10 pick next year
One more pre season and a full season training as professional footballer than next year pick 10 also.

Either i'm reading this wrong or this is an awful trade for Port
I agree. I understand why Port Power would want to get rid of pick 29 but this is a terrible deal for them. The only two markets that I can find for the 2020 season (anything can happen but the this is the best guide we have) have Port Power finishing 10th (Sportsbet) and 16th (TAB). If we average those out they are expected to finish 13th and receive pick 6. So effectively they are trading picks 6 and 29 for 16, 52 and 55 (ignoring pick 71 and 72).

Kochie did this trade. Makes it even more terminal for Ken if he doesn't make the 8 with no 1st Rd'er next year. He is desperate to knife him after Ken bent him over for the long contract a few years ago.

In all seriousness though, trades these days always suit both clubs needs and wants. There are no incompetants running clubs lists anymore.

Last edited:
PORT Adelaide will enter this month's NAB AFL Draft with a bumper hand after landing a third first-round selection in a pick swap with Brisbane on Monday.

The Power have moved picks 29, 71 and a future-first round selection to the Lions and received picks 16, 52, 55 and 72.

It leaves the Power with picks 12, 16 and 18 after moving out selection 29 to avoid having it absorbed in an expected bid for father-son prospect Jackson Mead, who is set to fall in the mid-to-late second round.

After nine changes to the senior list, the recruitment of Wylie Buzza and upgrade of rookies Jarrod Lienert and Peter Ladhams, the Power now have a minimum of four senior list spots to be filled at the draft. As it stands, they hold picks 12, 16, 18, 52, 55, 66, 67 and 68.

Good move by Port.
Port will pick up 3 players who they have their eyes on, with picks 12 16 & 18 and will get F/S Jackson Mead.
Port traded well last year getting Rozee, Butters & Duursma after pick swaps.

Lions are the bigger winner. Say they end up with picks 10 and 15 with all the father son picks they are gonna get a club falling over to get those picks

Port will get worrell and another good tall gould with those picks so well worth it

Think it’s a really smart trade on both fronts, to be honest.

Brisbane only drop back 5 this year, but gain an extra for next year and an extra 2nd round pick, as well as offload some picks they were never using anyway. If port have a bad year, they could really benefit from this, if they end up moving top 6 they end up with a similar pick to this year anyway. So little risk, for a potential windfall.

Port Adelaide effectively remove the risk of using a top 30 pick for Mead, unless a bid comes earlier than expected. So will pick up 4 top 30 players this year.

For port, where they finish next year isn’t as important for the purposes of this trade; given they’ve now gone and got 6 first round draftees in the last 2 drafts. Given how the first 3 have gone, it sets them up nicely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both sets of fans should be happy.

Brisbane now hold a nice hand in 2020 whilst retaining two top 30 picks in a fairly even crop.

Port adding 12,16,18 and Mead to last years haul of Rozee, Butters and Duursma is smart business. Get these picks right and you’ve got 7 talented players developing and hopefully hitting their prime together. That’s without mentioning SPP, Drew, Bonner and Marshall who seem more than handy.

Looks fair on the surface.

why not? - Rozee Butters and Duursma have now had a year at AFL level, they may have a low injury list and they should have a reasonable draw. They also have a number of other younger players where improvement can come from. I HOPE they don't from a crows perspective but it would not be the biggest shock to see them move into the top 8 and maybe do ok

Because they simply aren't that good.
Yes they have some good young kids, but their older players other than Boak are kinda falling off a cliff.

They were just a bit smarter than us and cleared out some dead wood along the way.

None of their recruits have been as good as they were at their previous clubs either.

Because they simply aren't that good.
Yes they have some good young kids, but their older players other than Boak are kinda falling off a cliff.

They were just a bit smarter than us and cleared out some dead wood along the way.

None of their recruits have been as good as they were at their previous clubs either.
I actually think Watts was very good before his leg injury this year

I actually think Watts was very good before his leg injury this year

They certainly found a spot where he could play.

Lets remember though, that was Round 2 when he went down for the year.
Not exactly a solid block of form to work on.

They did super well to nail the draft last year and if they continue to do that they will shoot up the ladder eventually.
I just dont think thats in 2020.

They certainly found a spot where he could play.

Lets remember though, that was Round 2 when he went down for the year.
Not exactly a solid block of form to work on.

They did super well to nail the draft last year and if they continue to do that they will shoot up the ladder eventually.
I just dont think thats in 2020.
True but still better then the crap he produced at Melb

Either i'm reading this wrong or this is an awful trade for Port
Your reading this wrong and its a very good deal for port
#16 is effectively a swap for their 1st rounder next year when you take into account the strength of the pool then add in possibly 3-4 Academy picks
worst case is 2-3 spots difference as not likely they will finish bottom 6

#29 would have been lost for points to get Mead anyway

The whammy will come if the following things happen
*Mead gets a bid prior to #16
*Mead doesnt get a bid until after #29
* Port lose their bundle in 2020 and finish bottom 4

Next year's draft could be heavily compromised, if you take into account the number of players already tied to AFL clubs (NGA & FS). In fact, 17 (out of 48) players from the under-17s NAB AFL All-Stars match are already tied to various clubs (Port has two of them).

What effect this will have on the first round of the draft next year is anyone's guess. Early picks could blow out, and (depending on development) one of Port's youngsters may very well receive an early bid.

Like I said, it's anyone's guess. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Port to me will try and use 2 of 12/16/18 to get into the top 10 allows them someone in the top 10 as well as Gould and Mead
Personally i dont think they will and will have 3 good kids they have their eyes on possibly
#12 - Fisher McAsey
#16 - Will Day
#18 - Will Gould / Josh Worrell

this!! Would lions pick worrell or mcsey at 16 ? Nope but port will
McAsey would need to be taken at #12 if he gets past Hawks

Next year's draft could be heavily compromised, if you take into account the number of players already tied to AFL clubs (NGA & FS). In fact, 17 (out of 48) players from the under-17s NAB AFL All-Stars match are already tied to various clubs (Port has two of them).

What effect this will have on the first round of the draft next year is anyone's guess. Early picks could blow out, and (depending on development) one of Port's youngsters may very well receive an early bid.

Like I said, it's anyone's guess. Only time will tell.
This crap gets said all the time. Even if there are a lot of nextgen prospects, there will still be plenty of quality in the first round, including many players the so-called draft experts don't rate yet.

I still remember people saying the 2009 draft was going to be one of the worst ever, and it produced two of the greatest midfielders of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back