Pattinson suspended for first test.

Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you were a heterosexual male would you actually be offended at being called a word that rhymes with maggot? I understand the code of conduct they have and the penalty givren but it is just an all round lame sledge. What is the point?

If the cricketer is homosexual then that makes this situation much worse but if not then the stupidity is stunning.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
If you were a heterosexual male would you actually be offended at being called a word that rhymes with maggot? I understand the code of conduct they have and the penalty givren but it is just an all round lame sledge. What is the point?

If the cricketer is homosexual then that makes this situation much worse but if not then the stupidity is stunning.

It's a bit of a weird one, I'm assuming the umpire made the report rather than the opposition complaining. Could understand if stump mic picked it up during a test match but could've easily swept it under the carpet given it was a shield match.

Edit: Just read it was targeted at Gannon, surely you just sledge him regarding the fact he chucks it.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
Some words you just have to work to remove from your vocabulary. And just forget about 'political correctness' and all that for a minute. For me, I just think if someone was throwing around a word that was part of my identity and using it as a casual slur against an opponent, I think that would not feel good. It's more like decency and respect for people than anything. And there's likely nothing much meant by it when people throw it around like this, I don't think people who throw that word around are actually homophobic in most cases, but it's just a matter of trying to get some of those words out of your mind. It's something that's not going to serve you well in most workplaces I suspect, just gotta be smarter than that and give some thought to how the kind of language we use can affect other people.

RedTinMania

Senior List
Oct 16, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's a bit of a weird one, I'm assuming the umpire made the report rather than the opposition complaining. Could understand if stump mic picked it up during a test match but could've easily swept it under the carpet given it was a shield match.

Edit: Just read it was targeted at Gannon, surely you just sledge him regarding the fact he chucks it.

From what I've heard, the there was some chat about his "bowling" action leading up to the comment.

Don't quote me on this, but apparently Patto rather clumsily compared the amount of elbow used to what could either be a bundle of sticks or a type of meatball popular in the English midlands

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj

the sexuality of the person means nothing here, the whole point is using being gay as an insult, if patto had called a fellow white bloke a bloody n word would it be ok because he isn't actually black?

The whole issue is these words are used to basically say you're so ordinary a bloke you could even be one of them gay blokes, it's clearly insulting to the target and to gay people.

Last edited:
May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Reminds me of when i was hauled up to my sons school and told that he would be suspended for calling another kid a NTTAWWT and that the other kid was distraught, principal then asks why i'm laughing and i said " because they were online last night chatting, laughing and continuing their online game "

Teacher then says what should i do i say " maybe use some common sense and move on because talking to them wont do s**t because they are best buddies again, you needed to deal with it yesterday "

Sometimes common sense needs to prevail instead of making mountains out of molehills which is what this situation with Pattinson and Gannon is, all that was needed was a quiet word on field and the issue is dealt with.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Lol, such a joke of a report by an incompetent umpire. Given the amount of errors made by John Ward, I hope he got a season ending suspension

As for sledging Gannon, fair game for the chucker and they were former teammates...

Reminds me of my captain telling me to stop sledging someone last season when we were playing my old club. He didn’t understand we were former teammates who’d given each other s**t for over 15 years!!!

Lol, such a joke of a report by an incompetent umpire. Given the amount of errors made by John Ward, I hope he got a season ending suspension

As for sledging Gannon, fair game for the chucker and they were former teammates...

Reminds me of my captain telling me to stop sledging someone last season when we were playing my old club. He didn’t understand we were former teammates who’d given each other s**t for over 15 years!!!
Seems like a deflection to me. Pattinson has admitted fault and accepted the suspension.

Aren't we past the point where this particular slur is 'fair game'? I doubt you'd tolerate the use of the N word, whether it applied to Gannon or not. This isn't vastly different.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Reminds me of when i was hauled up to my sons school and told that he would be suspended for calling another kid a NTTAWWT and that the other kid was distraught, principal then asks why i'm laughing and i said " because they were online last night chatting, laughing and continuing their online game "

Teacher then says what should i do i say " maybe use some common sense and move on because talking to them wont do s**t because they are best buddies again, you needed to deal with it yesterday "

Sometimes common sense needs to prevail instead of making mountains out of molehills which is what this situation with Pattinson and Gannon is, all that was needed was a quiet word on field and the issue is dealt with.
No school would suspend anyone for calling another kid a NTTAWWT. Must have been more in it than that. You can say it is making mountains out of molehills but we have moved on from abusing players out on the cricket field and homophobic comments are unacceptable. Pattinson should have more brains and got what he deserved.

Elite Finger Twirler

Elite Finger Twirler Medal winner 2019
May 30, 2018
Witness history folks
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Women's sports, The PIG
Seems like a deflection to me. Pattinson has admitted fault and accepted the suspension.

Aren't we past the point where this particular slur is 'fair game'? I doubt you'd tolerate the use of the N word, whether it applied to Gannon or not. This isn't vastly different.
For PR and future selection reasons.

The punishment does not fit the crime at all.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
No school would suspend anyone for calling another kid a NTTAWWT. Must have been more in it than that. You can say it is making mountains out of molehills but we have moved on from abusing players out on the cricket field and homophobic comments are unacceptable. Pattinson should have more brains and got what he deserved.
The principal is massive PC, as for Patto LOL i fell over from laughter when i heard what he was suspended for. Maybe i just come from a harder school of upbringing in that words are just that...words. The new molly coddled world we live in hey, what next, someone gets suspended for calling someone a w***er hahahaha

The principal is massive PC, as for Patto LOL i fell over from laughter when i heard what he was suspended for. Maybe i just come from a harder school of upbringing in that words are just that...words. The new molly coddled world we live in hey, what next, someone gets suspended for calling someone a w***er hahahaha
Because calling somebody a w***er is the same as the slur Pattinson used.

N***er is just a word. Should people be able to use it freely?

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
He's been reported 3 times in a year now... It's for an accumulation of offences, not just the one.
Well then Smith should've been suspended also then for chucking a tantrum when he got dismissed considering he has priors. Does anyone know what he said or has that been swept under the rug never to see the light of day.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh wow, the same people in the Liam Ryan thread saying that it is no big deal are also in this thread saying that using a homophobic slur is no bid deal.

What a surprise!

Back